Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Yokohama Avid Envigor Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 06:27 PM
JBC4317
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK so we're back from Thunderhill and all is well... What a great time with great friends! The Yokos were absolutely great and impressed me as well as the coach. Without having another tire to compare 'em to on my MINI, well except for the crappy old OEM run-flats, all I can say is that they felt great! They even seemed to out perform the Dunlop SP Sport runflats on my buddy's GP. No surprise there, and not his fault they don't adhere too well... All I can say is he'll be making that his next necessity purchase for the GP for sure.

Here's a couple pics for your leisure. Sorry, but the pics from the pro photo guy won't download. I'll try later and edit this post if I can figure out how to compress a photo or two of his so they'll fit inside here. And, BTW Peter... I can't say enough of just how great the weather was here in California this past Sunday. Awesome, Just Awesome! It was 29 deg. on Sunday when we left the hotel for the track... 45 - 51 deg. or so @ the track, breezy, and very chilly actually in the afternoon. Gotta love sunny CA!

So now it's off to cozy up to the big screen, the DVR and a cold Fat Tire for a little Daytona 500...
God how I do love that beer.

Attached Thumbnails Yokohama Avid Envigor Anyone?-100_2078.jpg   Yokohama Avid Envigor Anyone?-100_2068.jpg  

Last edited by JBC4317; 02-21-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:28 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure that those Yokos would be my choice for a dry track oriented tire. Next time give Dunlop z1 star specs, bridgestone re 11 or yoko AD 08 a try. The dunlops z1 are my wet track tire now and they work quite well. Last a lot longer than wet r-comps.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:30 AM
thevastdifference
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Had the AVID ENVigors for about a month. Handled decently in the Chicago blizzard, and a huge improvement over my Goodyear Eagle F1's which wore to the bone in less than 3 years, 25000mi. Smooth, quiet ride, great wet pavement handling.. i wonder what summer will be like..

Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 AM
xildnparadise
Neutral
Replaced the Conti run flats last week at 23K miles..... Nice to be driving on tires again vs. rocks..... Between the tires and replacement of the timing chain, I am once again a happy camper!!!!

09 Cooper S

Old 02-22-2011, 11:05 AM
JBC4317
4th Gear
I'm not sure if I may have misled some of you when I posted above about going to the track last weekend. My idea for last June's Yokohama purchase was not about finding a great tire for the racetrack... Had it been so, I would have tapped my buddies in the racing side of life and made a decision according to that specific application. Rather, I wanted a tire that would perform well in all types of situations, albeit dry, wet, slick, hot, cold, etc.

I do appreciate Slinger's offering of info on tire choices. Although I'm not a track day dude, I completely get it for those who are. I definately had a great time with the MINI on the track at Thunderhill, and it's my better judgement that will likely keep this type-a-thing to a very infrequent endeavour... The track day was simply my opportunity to see how well these tires would perform under conditions I would normally never encounter...

The MINI is awesome in this environment and I learned a tremeandous amount about what it can do under these conditions. In my humble opinion only, these tires worked very well and the experience reaffirmed my thoughts as to just how great they are at meeting my all-around needs. Each individual's needs will certainly vary depending on the varoius elements the environment we live in has to throw at us. Tire manufacturers know that all too well so I suppose that's why we have so many choices. If not that, I'm sure it's all about confusing us all beyond practicality so we can feed them our money like a starved slot machine...

I know that many may experience severe conditions where they live and that those conditions typically dictate the way a vehicle is prepared to meet and beat the odds. In my particular situation, I know that I can go anywhere, no matter what the season, and be relatively sure I am going to survive the elements in our MINI. The California stereotype is all about surf and sun... Believe it or not, we do have four seasons out here. Regardless of what your driving habits, skills, or weather conditions, I believe I found a tire that suits me and the MINI very well. All this, coupled with the suspension mods I've made, make my car a very nice driver that I'm confident will handle any situation I may encounter on the open road.

Hope this info I have been sharing helps you guys and enjoy 'em if you choose to buy 'em!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:15 AM
amberback
5th Gear
Hey guys. I'm pretty much decided on these tires for my MINI for spring - fall driving. I'm just wondering how many miles you've put on them and how well the treadlife is?

I put almost 20,000 miles a year on my MINI (garage it in the winter) and I want something that will last at least a whole motoring season. My front OEMs needed replaced after about 12,000...

Old 02-22-2011, 11:28 AM
drink8648
2nd Gear
I've owned these tires since June 10 and all I can say is that they are great tires. I had the Goodyear F1 on before and what a difference in road noise compared to the Avids. I purchased an additional set of wheels and snows for our New England weather and boy did we get hit hard but never bothered to change over to them because the Avids worked pretty well on snow and ice.
I give these tires a 10. Go for it!
And they look good too!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I guess the best thing I can say about these tires is that I just ordered a second set for our daughter's car.

14000 on mine so far. Excellent tires.

'Nuf said.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 PM
mini on
4th Gear
I have 7000 miles on mine and like em. They work well in the rain and for the kind of driving I do. As far as driving in the snow goes, I thought the Mini drove awful. From what I have read about driving these cars in the snow, a set of snow tires is the way to go. When and if I get a set I'm thinking Nokians.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Joey Mojo
3rd Gear
I got these Yoko Avids as the first replacement tires for the lame run-flats. I have to say they are a great tire for aggressive daily driving, even in damp weather. I live near San Francisco and they are great for city driving, pretty forgiving over rough road.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:26 PM
FormerHummer
2nd Gear
Perfect Thread

So, how did the Yokos turn out for BrownSugar???

Last edited by FormerHummer; 03-03-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:33 PM
FormerHummer
2nd Gear
I finally found this thread. lol I have narrowed my switch to non-run flats down to the Yoko AVID/ENV or the Bridgestone Ecopias. I am leaning toward the Yokos . . . the tire rating, reviews, and price is just too good to pass up!!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 PM
ke4sfq
4th Gear
I put my Yoko Envigor's on (205/50/16) two weeks ago and I am glad I did. I switched from Continental runflats. I feel they have just now gotten broken in (500 miles) and hope to put them through their paces this week.

Ride is much better and more different than I expected. They are more "cushier" which at first I thought I would mean I couldn't feel when I was pushing them too hard but that doesn't seem to be the case. I also have made several hard, fast turns on a familiar road near the house that the Continentals always would slide a little and the Yoko's don't move! I have pushed them harder than the runflats in several cases and they stay on the road better. Super impressed here. Can't wait till the Dragon!! No more unnecessary squealing!!

Old 03-05-2011, 06:39 PM
FormerHummer
2nd Gear
Went to Big O and got my Yokos today and the difference is AMAZING. Much quieter, smoother, and the thought of saving so much money (half the price of Conti run-flats at the dealer) with better wear made me giddy riding down the road.

Tomorrow, I will bathe my baby car and take some tire pics for all!

Paula

Old 03-06-2011, 07:05 PM
MisterClean
3rd Gear
Not sure if I posted on this tread or not but just wanted to say a few things. The yokos have been good for me whether it be on dry roads, wet roads, or snow covered roads. While the MINI doesn't plow through the snow it's very predictable and can be corrected easily. I just had the tires rotated and balanced. They look almost brand new still after about 10,000 miles.

Definitely recommending these tires to friends and family.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Thom228
2nd Gear
Waiting...

I just ordered some new Envigors to replace my factory RFs. I must admit, I only have 8K on them, but fortunately, we hit a pothole and a bulge developed on the outside of the tire. I had to have some rationalization to have the bricks removed from the wheels, and that provided just what I needed so I won't feel guilty.

This time tomorrow, I should finally be experiencing a MINI experience the way it should be - on real tires.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:57 PM
HMB_Mini
Neutral
I picked up a set of Avid Envigors a couple thousand miles back and am very happy so far. I went through two sets of runflats in less than 40k miles and am hoping these get more than 20k.

As for performance, handling is great on wet and dry roads. With the last month in Northern California, I've had plenty of "wet" to drive on. Although one of the best things is that road noise is greatly reduced. I now notice wind noise that I never did before with the Continental and Michelin runflats.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:33 AM
Thom228
2nd Gear
Not to sound like a broken record, but the reduction in road noise as well as handling improvement makes me wonder why I waited 8K miles to do this.

My partner, who drives a 135i and has RFs, was skeptical the new tires would make that much difference. After using my car to run and pick up Chinese last night, he's now discussing getting rid of the RFs on his car.

Driving is believing.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:29 AM
rimtnbiker
2nd Gear
Ok, I'm in on the Avids. Putting them on 16" s-Winder wheels. Are you people buying the stock size of 195/55-16 or something else and why. I appreciate the advice as I have to get these RF bricks off my Mini ASAP

Old 03-28-2011, 04:42 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
205/50/16 on my justa.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:09 AM
HMB_Mini
Neutral
I put mine on stock 16" s-winder wheels, 195/55-16.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 AM
FormerHummer
2nd Gear
Stock size 195/55/R16 for me. Rides great!

Old 03-28-2011, 02:01 PM
FormerHummer
2nd Gear
Yoko Tire Photos

For your viewing pleasure. There is one more glamour shot that is too big to upload! I'll work on that one.

PJ

Attached Thumbnails Yokohama Avid Envigor Anyone?-img090.jpg   Yokohama Avid Envigor Anyone?-img091-1.jpg  
Old 03-28-2011, 02:47 PM
rimtnbiker
2nd Gear
Has anyone gone 205/60/16 on s-winders, on a 2009 justa cooper? This will make the side wall almost a half an inch taller, or the overall diameter of the tire 1.3 inches bigger. Anyone know if this will cause tire rubbing problems??

Old 03-29-2011, 02:01 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
stock 195/55-16 on my old man's MC

Quick Reply: Yokohama Avid Envigor Anyone?