Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Yokohama Avid Envigor Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:59 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
What kind of gas consumption are you getting on the highway and city?

You seemed to be trying to optimize for gas consumption only. If that is what you want to do, I am just curious what you get.

When you put in those extra parts in your sig, it is going to change the character of your car. You may find that grip might be a little lacking at those pressures especially in the wet.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:47 AM
peter314
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently it is optimized for fuel economy. On this tank which was 390 miles of highway driving I only averaged 36 mpg while using cruise control and keeping it under 70 mph the whole time. Last time I did the same trip I got much closer to 39 mpg at 70 mph.
It's weird, I noticed the drop right when i put them on but was told because it was winter, well its gotten better but only marginally.
City I've seen as low as 20 some tanks which doesn't make sense but the numbers don't lie

I'm hoping that after putting on the intercooler the lower intake charge temps will help burn the fuel more efficiently and completely resulting in a minor increase of mpg when I keep my foot out of the deep carpet, same goes for the exhaust, less restriction less load on the engine should equate to better running of the engine.
In theory at least.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:16 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
I run 36 psi cold on my non-runflats and rotate every 5,000. So far I've had even wear although I do get an alignment every 20,000 miles.

Peter314 - when was the last time your cleaned your Alta Panel Filter? You might be running rich on fuel with a lack of air?

Regarding your winter mileage, keep in mind:

Rolling resistance at 0 degrees F is 20% greater than at 80 degrees.

In the winter, an engine takes longer to reach operating temperature and cools off faster when shut off. Since the engine management system orders up a richer mixture when cold (proportionately more fuel in the air/fuel combination), more fuel is being burned overall.

A vehicle's aerodynamic drag is proportional to air density, and the density increases as temperature drops. For every 10 degree F drop in temperature, aerodynamic drag increases by 2%

Old 06-08-2011, 03:34 PM
peter314
5th Gear
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
Peter314 - when was the last time your cleaned your Alta Panel Filter? You might be running rich on fuel with a lack of air?
I just put it in a few hundred miles ago actually.

And I remember we had the discussion about winter driving dynamics back in December or something like that lol I never disagreed with you, your right about all of those things adding up and they did. but I'm feeling that my mileage is just lower with these tires and that's that, Maybe it's the wider width adding to the rolling resistance but who knows, I've gotten used to it now.

But it is lower, Just filled up with 12.2 after exactly 425 highway miles and got 35 mpg, as I said before last time I did that trip on old tires and got above 38 mpg

Old 06-08-2011, 04:57 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
How many miles do you have on your car now? Perhaps carbon buildup is decreasing performance?

You are correct that wider (and stickier) tires will decrease gas mileage also. I noticed after going from 16" to 17" wheels I lost ~2mpg myself.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Acrobatikdan
2nd Gear
If anyone is considering getting a set of these tires to put on your 16" wheels, I have 4 like new tires for sale in the marketplace. 195/55 R16.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ate/1301919926

Old 06-30-2011, 07:53 AM
rimtnbiker
2nd Gear
Since some of you are mentioning a loss on average of 2 mpg. The better question is whether you think this is a good trade off compared to the improved ride and handling of the car riding on the Envigors

Old 06-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed to a 205x50x16 so the mileage is not an exact comparison, but I saw no measureable difference when I changed. I'm at about 24K miles on mine and I'm still happy. They do get a bit noisier as the miles accumulate, but nothing objectionable. I rotate front to rear ever 4K miles. They look like they'll go 50K.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Teibito
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by peter314
Thanks
That is actually really helpful, A lot of those things really make sense. As a studying engineer I should have thought about the air density changing with the colder temps. My fluid dynamics teachers gave us a great example about a baseball traveling further in hotter or colder weather.

I knew about the winter mixes when it comes to fuel too but I was also thinking about the rest of the engine fluids, but I dismissed it thinking about how my mileage should be once the car is up to temp but I guess that is a pretty big factor too.

Yea I guess it's just winter

I'll report back in the spring. Hopefully though before I get any mods on or new wheels... Enkei PF01's mmmmmm deliciously light, cutting out all of that extra fat with some 15lbs wheels that look sweetttt

How have the 15lb wheels held up? I'm thinking about a second set of wheels for track use and these look nice.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:51 PM
NealK
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ke4sfq
I bought mine from http://www.detroittuned.com and it has been on sale for a while. I have never had to use it luckily but it should work fine. I carried it to the Dragon last week just in case and it fits nicely in the boot.

I just returned from my 2nd year at the Dragon. Last year I had the Continental Runflats and they squealed and broke loose a lot! This year I went with my new Yokohama Avid Envigor's. Night and Day difference!! They never squealed and held unbelievable! Usually when accelerating out of a curve hard you had to feather those runflats as they spun. These Yokos never spun in the curve no matter how hard I accelerated. Love them more now!!

Kevin
I just ordered a donut from Detroit Tuned: $110. Thanks for the tip. Less than half the price of MINI MANIA, and without all the hassle of ordering wheels and tires and getting them mounted, etc. noted in threads about spare tires. Detroit also had the mounting bolt, disc, and foam tray so I can properly stow the spare in my Clubman S trunk. Will be ordering the Avids soon . . . after much time looking at reviews and talking to Tire Rack. My Original Conti Pro Contacts SSRs have 29500 on them and are burned down to the wear bars . . .

Old 07-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Wheelie
2nd Gear
I just switched out the run flats for the Yokohamas Avids. The ride is a lot quieter and just made a road trip in a bad storm with water every where. The new tires never hydroplaned. I have run Yokohoma Pradas on an older MINI and Porsche in the past with no problems.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:23 PM
NealK
1st Gear
Just purchased the Yoko Avid Envigors in stock 195/55/16 to replace the conti procontact SSRs. Interesting differences . . . The grip is equal to the runflats, or at least they have more grip through corners than I am comfortable using. The ride is more mellow over bumps. No issues with straight tracking (four wheel alignment when mounted). Only consideration: The steering is definitely lighter; there is is less effort at slow speed and slightly slower steering response. Not bad, just different.

I'm unable to comment yet on adverse weather handling.

Also Detroit Tuned delivered very nicely on the donut spare. Brand new MINI wheel, Kumho tire, even arrived fully inflated.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:56 AM
Teibito
2nd Gear
[QUOTE=NealK;3327715] Not bad, just different.[QUOTE]

I have always found that moving away from the run-flats on a MINI takes away that go kart type feeling in the steering response. It's all a trade off, what you give up there you make up in lateral grip and traction off the line with a decent set of conventional tires.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:21 AM
NealK
1st Gear

I have always found that moving away from the run-flats on a MINI takes away that go kart type feeling in the steering response. It's all a trade off, what you give up there you make up in lateral grip and traction off the line with a decent set of conventional tires.
So you find that with the Advan Sports as well?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Teibito
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NealK
So you find that with the Advan Sports as well?
Neal,

The Advan Sports are great tires. Handle well, lots of traction, decent in the rain, very comfortable, look great. However, their sidewalls are not as stiff as a run-flat. So, you loose that "riding on rails" feeling. I know this because when ever I take the JCW in for service, I get a loaner with run-flats and it makes me I remember how responsive the steering inputs feel.

Best regards.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:49 AM
terrapingrad88
Neutral
Wow! I just replaced my 17" Dunlop SP Sport 1 run flats with the Yoko Envigors, after 18,000 of the most miserable miles. Sure, I had read this forum thread and had hope that my ride would be better while maintaining the handling of my 2009 Cooper S. The Envigors exceed my expectations. The ride is SO MUCH BETTER. Repeat - SO MUCH BETTER! Handling is nearly the same, and in fact, lighter. And quieter too! Kudos to my buddy Shiftless who convinced me to pick the Envigors as he did. For a spare, I have the BMW/Mini "approved" aerosal tire slick, wrapped in bubble rap and tucked away in the passenger side rear trim panel.

The Envigors rock!!

Old 08-06-2011, 06:00 AM
chiguy0914
1st Gear
Love the Toko Envigors!!!!

Originally Posted by terrapingrad88
Wow! I just replaced my 17" Dunlop SP Sport 1 run flats with the Yoko Envigors, after 18,000 of the most miserable miles. Sure, I had read this forum thread and had hope that my ride would be better while maintaining the handling of my 2009 Cooper S. The Envigors exceed my expectations. The ride is SO MUCH BETTER. Repeat - SO MUCH BETTER! Handling is nearly the same, and in fact, lighter. And quieter too! Kudos to my buddy Shiftless who convinced me to pick the Envigors as he did. For a spare, I have the BMW/Mini "approved" aerosal tire slick, wrapped in bubble rap and tucked away in the passenger side rear trim panel.

The Envigors rock!!
I feel the same way. Replaced those rotten conti-runflats with Yoko Envigors on my 06 "S" 3K miles ago. These make the car! Love feel, handles the same and man is is a quiet ride!! Highly recommend!

Old 10-25-2011, 09:38 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Any further reports on how these tires affect your gas mileage?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:47 AM
jarelj
1st Gear
Another +1 for the Avid Envigors! I just put a set on my 2011 MCSa this week after 12k miles on the OEM Conti 16" runflats. I HATED the runflats, worst tires ever, they weren't really worn out yet at 12k but I just wanted to get rid of them. I'd say the ride quality on the Envigors is 50% better than the runflats, it's not just noticeable it's a HUGE difference. Handling is different, but still good for 16" tires. They do squirm around a little more on turn-in and if pushed hard they wallow just a bit, but it's very predictable. With the stiff-a$$ runflats, the turn-in was very crisp but outright grip was really not any better, and when they slid it was more of a skating feeling rather than the grip-slide-grip-slide that you get from conventional tires. Also, the runflats would make a huge jump to the side when accelerating over any kind of bump. Overall I like every aspect of the Envigors better, looking forward to many happy miles, and not having my wife complain about EVERY bump we go over when she's riding along!

Thanks to Alex at Tire Rack for great service in getting the new wheels and tires to me!

Old 10-29-2011, 06:01 PM
troopertripp
2nd Gear
Not only did I put the Yoko's on my wife's MINI before last years MOTD (where they were great) I put them on my Jetta and they are equally great. 4000 miles on the MINI and 12000 on the Jetta and I love the ride and the handling especially in the rain. With the MINI put away for the winter, I will reserve my total recommendation until the spring after they weather a northern Illinois winter.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:37 PM
jgohlke
3rd Gear
I put the Yoko tires on mid-Oct (3 fill-ups ago) and just checked my mileage log. No difference for me...my driving is a mix of city and highway. I use an app on my phone to track my mileage (Gas Cubby) and I have recorded all my fill-ups since new. Lifetime gas mileage average is 29.69 mpg and the last three tankfuls are; 29.3, 29.7, 29.3. The last one spans both sets of tires.

For the record, high is 32.83 and low is 26.71 mpg.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
Mine are approaching 30K miles. Still lots of tread. they are wearing very evenly. I've noticed over the past thousand miles or so that the noise has picked up a bit, but I suspect that is normal as the tread wears down a bit. We had them balanced with that thrust force thing and I think it helps a bit to keep them rolling smoothly. I picked up a roofing nail somewhere about 28K. I had it repaired and rebalanced. No issues at all.

I have a 2008 C300 MB that has always had Michelins. I'm considering putting Envigors on it this comming summer. I really like this tire.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Bernard_1962
3rd Gear
I ordered four 195/55R-16 Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V) from Tire Rack last night.
My '08 Clubman's original RUN-FLATS have about 38k on them and are wearing thin. Can't wait to get them on and fell the difference.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:29 PM
fyzawyza
1st Gear
Anybody found any deals on 205-55-16s recently?

Old 12-13-2011, 05:59 AM
lvldcook
Neutral
After reading through 7 pages of this forum, I've still not seen a post that asks the obvious question (maybe I missed it) of putting non-runflat tires on wheels designed for run-flat tires. My Big-O dealer told me last year I shouldn't do that, so I'm reluctant to replace my run-flats with conventional tires. Is there a thread about this?

Quick Reply: Yokohama Avid Envigor Anyone?