Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Conti DWS, soft sidewalls? Any other feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:09 PM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by adamsusa
I purchased a set of DWS 3 weeks ago for my '07 MCS and have been very disappointed. Here's my take.

Pros: very quiet and comfortable. No comparison to the factory Dunlop RFTs. Makes a completely different ride. No snow or rain in Sunny California to test them out in, though this is supposedly a strength.

Cons: difficult to keep the car straight! The tires wonder around way too much on freeways and other straights. Had the tire shop check alignment twice but no improvement. Driving without Sport mode helps some, so it seems they don't do well with tight suspension/steering vehicles. Steering is also noticably different. Initial turn in is delayed and rear end wants to swing around. I've also driven on twisting roads - they seem to do better when constaintly being pushed through turns.

In short, the handling is so sketchy my wife is uncomfortable driving it. I've driven is about 3K miles now and agree with her about the freeway wondering - must look like a DUI candidate.

Anyone have other suggestions?? Is this only a problem for "S" models?

Tires were purchased from Tire Rack, through a local tire shop. I'll be talking to them about return options. Earlier post indicated Tire Rack would accept a return toward another brand tire - is that correct? I understand Conti offers a 60-day "trial" but restricts trade-ins to other Conti tires.

If I do go with the later, would the DW (summer tire) handle any better??

P.S. Also had a sidewall flat on day 4 of usage. Tirerack provided a replacement under warranty, but still cost me ~$120 with shipping, mounting, balance & alignment (again). Suddenly, these tires are not such a great deal.
That, to me, sounds more like a balance issue. I have run COntinental tires on my car since the beginning and the only time they ever displayed said characteristics was when they were out of balance. I hope you get it fixed though soon! Still waiting to hear more replies on these before I decide that they are the way to go. (these or the DW, depending on where I live)

Old 06-29-2010, 09:11 PM
adamsusa
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hunter99
I have absolutely no wondering at all with these tires. I used to have it before I changed from the factory alignment settings. Once I did that the car tracks dead straight, handles great, and doesn't wear out tires fast.
Ok, you have my curiosity - what alignment settings fixed the problem for you?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:19 PM
adamsusa
Neutral
Originally Posted by rjtrout2000
That, to me, sounds more like a balance issue. I have run COntinental tires on my car since the beginning and the only time they ever displayed said characteristics was when they were out of balance. I hope you get it fixed though soon! Still waiting to hear more replies on these before I decide that they are the way to go. (these or the DW, depending on where I live)
Well, they ride a smooth as silk, thus wouldn't expect it to be a balance problem. Regardless, I just picked it up from the shop and that's what they did - rebalance all tires. I'll see tomorrow if they wander...and share the results then.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All joking aside - the Contis are sweet.
I think the DW's are really exceptional, infact Continetal's best showing in Max Performance to date - a real contender! I can speak from experience @ Conti's proving grounds in Uvalde, these tires feel GREAT well into triple digits!

Bravo Continental!

Alex

Old 06-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Anyone have other suggestions?? Is this only a problem for "S" models?
What is your cold inflation pressure setting front and rear?

Alex

Old 06-30-2010, 08:17 AM
MG2542
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
I think the DW's are really exceptional, infact Continetal's best showing in Max Performance to date - a real contender! I can speak from experience @ Conti's proving grounds in Uvalde, these tires feel GREAT well into triple digits!

Bravo Continental!

Alex
Thanks, Alex. I was debating on getting these when I order new rims. Your statement has sealed the deal.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:18 AM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
I have absolutely no wondering at all with these tires. I used to have it before I changed from the factory alignment settings. Once I did that the car tracks dead straight, handles great, and doesn't wear out tires fast.
what did you do?

Just got my car back from the installers. Definatly squirly out of the gates. SO so much smoother over bumps that I drive daily. I could be nuts but I seem to think the 4 mile drive back to my office was different as it progressed. I can't think that was a heat cycle but it changed a bit. I had them do 40psi. I'm planning on spending "lunch" out in the country to play around some and feel them in some bends.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:03 PM
adamsusa
Neutral
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
What is your cold inflation pressure setting front and rear?

Alex
Based on comments here, I set the pressure to 40PSI all around. Ride in this AM to work seemed to be better. But really need to drive more than 10 miles to know for certain.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:24 PM
hwy74
3rd Gear
Bumped the pressure up to 45 psi today. I dont think that it was for the better. Gonna gring them back to 42. Will report.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:57 PM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
You may want to try lowering the pressure a bit more than that. My continental tires run a consistent 35-37 .si and I have never had issues with them at all!

Old 07-01-2010, 12:10 AM
jjorrell
1st Gear
I agree. I have had DWSs on my MCS for 2 weeks at 36 psi. The ride is smooth, without compromising handling. I love my car even more with the new tires.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:37 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Based on comments here, I set the pressure to 40PSI all around. Ride in this AM to work seemed to be better. But really need to drive more than 10 miles to know for certain.
What cold pressure were you set at previously?

Alex

Old 07-01-2010, 10:38 AM
thefu
Neutral
Just put these Conti's on last week. 205/45-17 on a 2003 Mini Cooper S. I now know why these are called "Continentals"...thats what they did to my "Go Kart"...they turned it into a 1974 Lincoln Continental!

I drove to Las Vegas from SLC and back just this week and even after 1000 miles, these things feel downright dangerous at highway speeds. Even tame lane changes introduce body sway/roll. High winds absolutely freaked me out. I seriously thought I lost a link connection in the rear end.

I called Continental...HORRIBLE customer service...the lady said it was "my fault" I bought them online and had to pay shipping and didn't want to hear about the tire issues I had at all. I was calm on the phone and finally I just heard a "click" on the other end and that was it.

My first purchase at tirerack.com too...I was impressed how smoothly it went...I had the tires in a day and had them mounted the next. I can only hope the return process is equally hassle free.

Maybe if you are used to the feel of an SUV you would love these tires, but they downright scared me on my car as it transformed it into something it hasn't been for 6+ years!

Old 07-01-2010, 07:09 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
I had the front toe-in set at zero degrees and the rears at a half of degree in from that to keep from wander. The front camber is around 1.4 degrees and the rear is at the factory setting. This allows the car to track dead straight, maintain this at freeway speeds, and still maintain excellent tire wear. I also maintain excellent handling in the twisties.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by jrcsh6
what did you do?

Just got my car back from the installers. Definatly squirly out of the gates. SO so much smoother over bumps that I drive daily. I could be nuts but I seem to think the 4 mile drive back to my office was different as it progressed. I can't think that was a heat cycle but it changed a bit. I had them do 40psi. I'm planning on spending "lunch" out in the country to play around some and feel them in some bends.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:41 PM
hwy74
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jjorrell
I agree. I have had DWSs on my MCS for 2 weeks at 36 psi. The ride is smooth, without compromising handling. I love my car even more with the new tires.
I suspect that our idea of handling is very different. I have been very disapointed with the intial give of these tires. i know its the sidewall (came over from run-flats with a very stiff sidewall), but I hope there is another non-run-flat that does better than these. I am living with them, but I will not buy them again.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:48 PM
hwy74
3rd Gear
You may want to try lowering the pressure a bit more than that. My continental tires run a consistent 35-37 .si and I have never had issues with them at all!

I started at 32 (set from installer), bumped up to 35, then to 40, now at 45. I dont like them at any pressure, but I think that 40 was the best (cold pressure). BTW, I dont have any issues with grip, its the roll that is causing me grief. I simply dont like the feel and especially at any high speed. simple movements that were confident before have become far too over-reactive. I just put a 22mm rear anti-sway on her and that helps a lot, but NO MORE CONTI's FOR ME

Old 07-02-2010, 08:44 PM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
You should try the Kumho ASX, I think you would like the feel and the grip that they provide.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:24 PM
hwy74
3rd Gear
You should try the Kumho ASX, I think you would like the feel and the grip that they provide.
Thanks rjtrout2000 . I'll give it a go when these wear out.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:19 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Any time! I have run many tires on my Mini now between wheel changes, season changes, and all that kind of thing (autocross, etc..) and I have to say, for a daily driving tire that provides great dynamics on the street and can stand up to the occasional snow fall, I think the Kumho ASX is the best tire for the money, hands down. Another plus is they come in a 215/40/17, which makes the car's handling improve slightly due to wider rubber but it also lowers the profile of the tire, making the car accelerate slightly quicker too. All good things imho

Old 07-04-2010, 05:20 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think I've made up my mind to go with another set of Kumhos, too. I've got almost 35K on my current set of 215/45-17 ASX's, and they've been great.....except for deep snow, but we get that pretty rarely.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:38 AM
adamsusa
Neutral
I had the front toe-in set at zero degrees and the rears at a half of degree in from that to keep from wander. The front camber is around 1.4 degrees and the rear is at the factory setting. This allows the car to track dead straight, maintain this at freeway speeds, and still maintain excellent tire wear. I also maintain excellent handling in the twisties.

Hope that helps.

Interesting - you don't mention caster. Did you leave it at factory settings?

Anyone else try these settings to overcome the DWS wandering issue?

Old 07-20-2010, 01:13 PM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
what pressure are people running in these?

Old 07-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Gunner45
2nd Gear
What the door says.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:48 PM
thefu
Neutral
Here is how I got rid of the swaying and wandering of these sub-par tires...

I switched them out for Goodyear F1 All-Season 215/45-17 and I am back to the Mini I know and love...out with the Cadi and in with the Mini...thank God!

Old 07-20-2010, 02:11 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I went ahead and bought another set of Kumho Ecsta ASX.........my car drives exactly like it has all along....

Quick Reply: Conti DWS, soft sidewalls? Any other feedback?