Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Wheel Offset?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 10:14 PM
KiLO
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When someone says they have 17" wheels with a certain offset, what does that mean exactly?

Old 11-26-2003, 10:36 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
>>When someone says they have 17" wheels with a certain offset, what does that mean exactly?

A search about offsets brings this very good thread-
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp;topic=14882

Read the comments by Alex@tirerack with illustrations and from RandyBMC.

All you need to know if that for each car there is a certain range of wheel offset that will determine if the aftermarket wheel will fit the car without the wheel itself riding too wide and outside the fender wheel well area. If the offset number is too small like less than 37mm then you may get rubbing of the tire on the wheel well which means the tire doesn't fit and needs to be removed or the wheel well flaring needs to be enlarged.

The exact amount of wheel offset is determined by the suspension you plan to use for the MINI. So when planning on wheels one needs to think about suspension set up. The stock wheels have a rather large offset of about 45 to 50mm.
Aftermarket wheels often have less offset, about 37 to 44mm.

Old 11-26-2003, 11:51 PM
KiLO
6th Gear
If I have the stock 16" V-Spokes with the Goodyear Runflats, I'd be safe going up to 17x7's with Falken's or Kumho's right?

Or should I go up to 17's? I'm confused, I've heard so many differing opinions when searching and such...

These are the wheels I'm considering... http://www.edgeracing.com/product/bu...322&v=4834

Old 11-27-2003, 02:16 AM
minihune
>>If I have the stock 16" V-Spokes with the Goodyear Runflats, I'd be safe going up to 17x7's with Falken's or Kumho's right?
Yes

>>Or should I go up to 17's? I'm confused, I've heard so many differing opinions when searching and such...
Your choice-maybe better looks but could weigh more depending on which wheelset.

>>These are the wheels I'm considering... http://www.edgeracing.com/product/bu...322&v=4834

I think that you are considering this wheelset:
http://www.edgeracing.com/product/bu...cbf0c55ade4dd6
In anthracite with polished lip, Flik Wasp A 17x7 with et 42mm

Falken ZE-512 205/45-17 tires

This combination of rims and tires should be fine with your MINI (MC or MCS) using either stock suspension or lowered with H-sport springs (1" lower front and rears) or H&R springs. Compared to the V-spoke 17.6 pound stock rims the Wasp A weighs more at 19 pounds but the stock Dunlop SP Sport 5000A DSST 23.5lb tire weighs more than the 18.7 pound Falken. Net weights are about 41.1 pounds for stock vs 37.7 pounds for the edge racing set.
The Wasp A has bolts along the rim edge and isn't as easy to keep clean as the Flik Artic A:

Old 11-27-2003, 10:40 PM
KiLO
6th Gear
Thanks minihune...

Yeah, I love the way the FLIK WASP looks though, I don't mind working to keep it clean

So essentially then, offset is just how much more the wheel sticks out width wise?

I'm debating on whether or not to go with 17's. I know it takes the looks factor up, but I'm not as into looks as I am into performance. I was planning on getting the H-Sport springs and rear sway bar eventually, so I'm wondering if maybe going with just a non-runflat tire on my current 16's is the better way to go. The H-Sport springs will lower it an inch, so that cuts down the gap quite a bit, and the 16's don't look as much like 16's.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. Other thoughts are appreciated

Old 11-28-2003, 11:56 PM
minihune

>>Yeah, I love the way the FLIK WASP looks though, I don't mind working to keep it clean
It is similar to the R90 cross spoke pattern with rim bolts. Might be worth the effort to switch brake pads to aftermarket EBC green or Mintex Redbox if you do mostly street driving. Cuts the brake dust.

>>So essentially then, offset is just how much more the wheel sticks out width wise?

The greater the offset number 48 vs 42 the less the wheel sticks out sideways from the car. So a smaller offset of 37mm will result in the wheel that is wider than recommended and hence will hit in inner edge of the wheel well.
A larger offset number will fit the MINI better. Stock wheels have offsets that range from 45 to 50mm.

>>I'm debating on whether or not to go with 17's. I know it takes the looks factor up, but I'm not as into looks as I am into performance. I was planning on getting the H-Sport springs and rear sway bar eventually, so I'm wondering if maybe going with just a non-runflat tire on my current 16's is the better way to go. The H-Sport springs will lower it an inch, so that cuts down the gap quite a bit, and the 16's don't look as much like 16's.

There is nothing wrong with using the stock 16" rims and changing just the tires first. This cuts down on cost and improves the ride smoothness and performance (assuming you choose ultra performance tires or similar). The aftermarket 16" rims will give you choices on design as well as weights. Your stock V-spoke rims are 17.6 pounds each while the lightest of 16" rims will run about 11-12 pounds so a rough weight savings of 5 to 6 pounds per rim.
17" are also good but add more weight in a given design unless you choose a rim that is made extra light but that would make the price go up.

Both 16" and 17" rims can provide good performance it all depends on which tire you get assuming that the wheel offset is in the proper range and the rim width is 7.5" or less. Too wide is not always good.
A 16x6.5" rim weighs less and will do fine with a 215/45-17 tire while a 17x7.5" rim is a bit hefty and heavy. Sometimes due to limited stock or availability you are stuck with 16" or 17" size only for some rims.

The H-sport springs should do fine with the stock 16" rims.

Old 11-29-2003, 11:43 AM
KiLO
6th Gear
Thanks for the advice minihune, you're awesome!!!

I think I'm probably going to end up staying with my stock 16's when I need new tires, and get the H-Sport springs to compliment. Rear swaybar is goin on before I have to get new tires though, most likely.