Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Runflats again...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 04:08 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runflats again...

Ok So it is time to replace the Stock Dunlops runflats and I have been looking at a set of Cooper Zeon all seasons (non RF) that run about $127 each. I was about 2 seconds away from ordering when the guy pulled up COOPER ZEON 2XS (runflats) for $114 each! I have the mobility kit and if it was only me driving it would be non RFs for the car but I can't risk leaving my wife (no mechanical skills) trying to use a mobility/slime kit on a dark road somewhere.

The non runflat tires they would sell me are 400 wear rating and the runflats are 280..
Give me some opinions here!
Thanks all!

Old 05-22-2010, 04:37 AM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i'd love to say, "you'd have to pay ME to have runflats any longer" however that IS tempting as you don't have to worry about being stuck. still that's about the price point of the conti dws which apparently is a great high end a/s tire. i'd compair tread life/warranty, you already know the rf is going to be stiffer. is it the same or similar tread pattern? go to tirerack and see about people using them on mini's maybe that would help.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:09 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Teach your wife to use the slime and pump. The run-flats are very likely to shake something else loose in the meantime. She will have less knowledge of how to fix whatever shakes loose.

By comparison, I drove an 06 Miata for a good long while, including a cross country trip. Never had a tire problem, ever. And the Miata has no spare at all, and no RFs; just a small kit with a Mazda brand slime, and a little pump. There is nowhere in a Miata to put even a compact spare.

I still have my RFs, and I continue to wonder what will shake loose next. I know they cause all sorts of issues with the rear hatch. I really wonder sometimes if some of the little rattles and other issues are a direct result of the daily beating the chassis takes from the super stiff sidewalls.

My opinion.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:18 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Depends on what you need the tires for-

Any winter or cold weather driving? Do you have winter wheels and tires for snow? How much driving in snow do you do?

The Cooper Zeon 2XS are Ultra High Performance Summer tires and not for cold weather under 35 degrees or in any snow.

If you don't have winter tires and run the MINI year round in Germany then using All Season tires is required. In cold weather the summer tire rubber gets hard and lowers traction and degrades handling.

If you have winter tires then it makes sense to use the Runflat Zeon 2XS because more than one driver is using the car and might get a flat. You can drive home on a flat and not risk any problems in the rain or at night trying to fix it. Yes you have less treadwear but safety comes first.

Also any Ultra HP summer tire is going to handle better than an all season tire but you give up some comfort or quietness. Runflats are generally fine for wet or dry weather.

Compare
http://www.coopertire.com/html/produ...?page=zeon_2xs
Good for everything except for wear

http://www.coopertire.com/html/produ...=zeon_sport_as
Pretty good all season

http://www.coopertire.com/html/produ...?page=zeon_zpt
Basic all season but better suited for the base MINI not Cooper S

http://www.coopertire.com/html/produ...?page=zeon_rs3
Very good performance but wears fast and only summer use

Old 05-22-2010, 06:01 AM
LostinTX
2nd Gear
Lose the run flats. Teach your wife how to use the mobility kit and see if your insurance policy has roadside assistance. All season or summer/winter, which ever you prefer.

I don't really know how to say this without sounding insensitive, so here goes. Women have been driving for generations without runflats and have done just fine and are capable as anyone fixing or changing a tire.

Good luck on your quest.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:50 AM
jonasandezekiel
3rd Gear
The run flats are at about 40 % worse for tread life--factor that into the supposedly cheaper cost. If you don't think your wife can handle changing a tire, and a cell phone isn't enough insurance, buy the run flats. Also remember that when a run flat is punctured, they often have to be replaced. They're expensive, their handling and ride is TERRIBLE, but they offer peace of mind....its all relative to what is most important to you. Also, consider: how many times have you had such a catastrophic flat that you couldn't drive the car to a station to be fixed? In 25 years of driving, its happened ONCE to me.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:11 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
Well I have Blizzaks for winter on 16" wheels. I am very lucky so far as in the past 20 years here in Germany I have never had a flat while driving. I was looking at the Cooper zeon all seasons (400 wear rating and W speed rating) before I saw the deal on the RFs.
If the wife had a flat she would panic, she is not the typical woman (all i will say about that) I do not want to put her through anything like a flat in the night.

As for replacing a punctured runflat, If it is cheaper than replacing a non runflat (like in this case) I see no issue.

Also on a side note, the roads here in Germany are MUCH different than they are in the US, SMOOTHER is an understatement so I have NEVER had an issue with the stock RFs being too hard riding.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:15 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
What I am leaning towards
Originally Posted by minihune
http://www.coopertire.com/html/produ...?page=zeon_2xs
Good for everything except for wear
My choice from yesterday(prior to seeing the RFs
H series is a No Go.. I exceed that daily going to and from work.
http://www.coopertire.com/html/produ...?page=zeon_zpt
Basic all season but better suited for the base MINI not Cooper S
Race compound tires that are not rated like the others..
http://www.coopertire.com/html/produ...?page=zeon_rs3
Very good performance but wears fast and only summer use

Last edited by david in germany; 05-22-2010 at 11:31 AM.