Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Slime Quick spair

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:10 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Slime Quick spair

I found that slime makes an emergency flat tire repair in two sizes. 20 oz can for large tire & a 16 oz can for standard tires. Quick Spair uses aerosol to inflate the tire as well as sealing the puncture. It is tire sensor safe and cleans up with plain water. It works like the fix-a-flat but does not get rock hard inside the tire. I got mine at Amazon.com but I guess you can get it just about anywhere that sell Slime.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:23 PM
fishbone
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone use this yet? Just bought a can today, I like the all-in-one feature and that I don't need to worry about a pump. Fixes punctures up to 3/16 of an inch, that's a pretty decent size puncture. Hope the inside of a Mini doesn't get hotter than 120*F because that's the max safe storage temp for this thing.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:16 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
I carry it with me.

I suggest you also get the 12 volt pump because the aerasol will not fill the tire enough if you have to go far or if on the interstate it will not fill it enough to be safe at speed. I have not found a service station ( Jiffy Store) anyplace that has a working air pump.

When putting it in the tire be sure you have the puncture on the bottom of the tire. As soon as you can you need to drive the car. If you stop you need to stop with the puncture on the bottom. I carry a piece of chalk to mark the puncture spot.

This stuff works just like "Fix-A-Flat" but will not ruin the sensor inside of the tire like "Fix-A-Flat does"

Put it in then drive to a safe place and use the air pump to fill the tire to proper pressure. Then when you get to your tire place have them patch the tire on the inside.

***I keep it in the small cubby hole that the jack was in under the mat.

Last edited by ronnie948; 10-17-2010 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 10-17-2010, 07:41 AM
fishbone
4th Gear
I thought the whole point of the aerosol can was that you didn't need a pump :( I don't like any of the 12v pumps since they take forever and half to fill up a tire, and the better ones are large AND spendy. I was going to try to find a small foot pump at Harbor Freight or some such store. The Slime can would be for short drives, when we intend to go traveling in the order of hundreds of miles, we will be carying a spare with us.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:20 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
A spare????

If your gonna carry a spare and jack and a very long lug wrench Ware the heck are you gonna put your suitcases? At 103 ft. pounds of torque you will need a better lug wrench then what came with your car to get a wheel off.

The 12 volt air pumps may be slow but they are still better then no pump at all when you can't find an air pump.

When I had my puncture I had to put in two cans of "Fix-A-Flat" to get my tire hard enough to get me going.

A can of the slime should be enough to get you to a place safe enough to use the air pump. Once you get the tire pressure up you probably will be able to finish your vacation before having to repair a tire.

When I had my puncture I had run-flat tires and believe me when I tell you that a run-flat with no air at all in it still feels like a flat tire. Even though you can drive on it you will not really want to.

Like the boy scout motto:::"BE PREPAIRED" because you do not want to be cought with a flat tire on any interstate highway.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:16 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hadn't seen the new product, but I've been carrying the "old" Slime kit with pump as Ronnie has since I bought my car. I think not having a spare is a mental thing we just have to retrain our brains too. My first car without a spare (and no runflats) was a 2003 M3, and since then I've had three others without. I've only had to get outside help once, good odds I think.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:04 PM
fishbone
4th Gear
Got my spare tire in, off eBay, a 2006 Cobalt compact spare in great condition. Fits behind the seat and I'll have it in the car only for long trips. I got the quick spair and pump plus a dynaplug kit at all times.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbone
Got my spare tire in, off eBay, a 2006 Cobalt compact spare in great condition. Fits behind the seat and I'll have it in the car only for long trips. I got the quick spair and pump plus a dynaplug kit at all times.
Does the Cobalt rim fit over the front brakes?

I carry a MINI donut. One thing to remember is a donut is sort of like a lifeboat. It will get you to help, but maybe not home. If you are several hundred miles away from home it will not last long enough to make it. For long trips I'm using one of my snow tires, securely lashed down.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:05 PM
fishbone
4th Gear
Doesn't matter if it clears the front brake since no donut should be used there Given a front flat, I'm swapping tires.
Between the Quickspair, donut spare, compressor and dynaplug kit, I feel pretty safe taking long trips. The donut is for a straight up blow-out in the middle of nowhere. Every now and then the wife and I will take 400+ mile trips, so it's good to have. They say it's good for up to 70 miles or whatever but I have seen plenty cases where it has held up for hundreds. I'm not banking on that, but if I get a serious flat or blow-out in the middle of the trip, at least I'm not caught in the middle of Iowa where the closest tow is a 100 mile round-trip ...

The donut is not good for the front given the extra vehicle weight and 1 inch difference in diameter of the wheel which puts strain on the differential (even the open diff) plus it is much more unsafe on a wheel with traction and steering. It should be used on the rear.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
The reason I ask about front fitment is if you manage to blow out a front tire & you are in harms way I'd want to slap the donut on there. Drive to a safer place & then swap front for rear & then carry on. FWIW I don't think the an open diff would give a rats *** if it has a donut on there. Now a LSD will get chewed up with a front donut. I do agree It would be safer to have a donut on the rear. Much more control that way.

Funny you mention flat tires in deepest darkest Iowa. Been there done that! I ended up buying a full sized tire to replace the donut. No way it was going to last from central Iowa to central Ohio.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:32 PM
fishbone
4th Gear
Well, I will try a test fit in the front but from what I read here, it will not clear the brake.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:39 PM
vettestripes
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So after filling your tire up with this slime quick fix, do you need to take your tire off to clean up your TPMS and fix your tire or we can just fix the tire and leave the slime stuff in there?

Old 10-29-2010, 06:47 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Vettestripes,

Good question! You'd definatley want to have the tire dismounted, cleaned up, and repaired from the inside with a vulcanizing patch. You don't want to leave slime in. Anything inside a tire will help a tire retain heat as its built up - heat is your #1 factor to increase tire fatigue and promote failure.

Many slimes claim to not clog TPMS, but the port on the sensors is pretty small - I'd be surprised if they cleaned up well.

I often sugest a plug kit - the old fashioned ones with the wax covered yarn plugs in lieu of slime, if you can locate the leak. Save the slime for emergecies only!

Last edited by Alex@tirerack; 10-29-2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason: sp
Old 10-29-2010, 07:50 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
Vettestripes,

Good question! You'd definatley want to have the tire dismounted, cleaned up, and repaired from the inside with a vulcanizing patch. You don't want to leave slime in. Anything inside a tire will help a tire retain heat as its built up - heat is your #1 factor to increase tire fatigue and promote failure.

Many slimes claim to not clog TPMS, but the port on the sensors is pretty small - I'd be surprised if they cleaned up well.

I often sugest a plug kit - the old fashioned ones with the wax covered yarn plugs in lieu of slime, if you can locate the leak. Save the slime for emergecies only!

Good to know. I had a tire go down while in traffic 2 weeks ago and was able to top the air off and drive home on the runflats before they truly got flat. I took the tire off, plugged it and moved it to the rear and rotated the other side as well. A tire plug kit has been in my toolbox since I started driving 9 years ago. In that time I have had to use about 15 of those plugs from my kit. It has more than paid for itself.