Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

New Mini Cooper S heartache...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Rban
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mini Cooper S heartache...

So, I've only had my new 2010 Pepper White Mini Cooper S for 3 weeks and upon driving through one of those auto car washes, my front left 17" web alloy wheel got scuffed against the conveyor.... Ugh! I immediately heard the rim brush slightly against it and I cringed! Luckily, it doesn't look that bad, but since I've been pampering my new baby since it arrived, I would love to get it fixed. Any advice on the best way to repair a scuffed alloy rim? Is it expensive? I didn't realize these rims were so easy to scuff!
Needless to say, I've resorted to hand washing!

Many Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails New Mini Cooper S heartache...-img_3069.jpg  
Old 06-23-2010, 08:17 PM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
My Mini dealer offers it, though I'm not sure of the cost. I would check with where you bought it.

Great choice of color!

Tyler

Old 06-24-2010, 11:26 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
"Pampering" and "driving through one of those auto car washes" do NOT belong in the same statement! You'll destroy your paint over time, and you've already had your first problem. Avoid any auto washes like the plague if you plan on pampering your Mini. You'll be glad you did.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:33 AM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
Ah just give it a bit - I'm sure that you will curb it eventually. We ALL do. Usually when the curbs are made out of "textured" concrete instead of smooth.

Can you tell that i speak from experience?

Oh yeah, any decent wheel shop can repair wheels. Mini's wheels are just painted so its not a big deal.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:31 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll destroy your paint over time....Avoid any auto washes like the plague
Touchless ones aren't bad, but stay away from their wheel cleaner or tire dressing. If its smells acidic while your riding through the wash - not good.

I use a laserwash 2000 in the winter once a week, because in the MW I can't wash all year long @ home.

Alex

Old 06-25-2010, 07:13 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
Touchless ones aren't bad, but stay away from their wheel cleaner or tire dressing. If its smells acidic while your riding through the wash - not good.

I use a laserwash 2000 in the winter once a week, because in the MW I can't wash all year long @ home.

Alex
Same here.

and to the "Youll curb one eventually" statement above.

I guess it could be true as im only 25, but I have yet to curb any wheel on any of my cars past and present (knock on wood)

Old 06-25-2010, 07:19 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
Can't say that this is true everywhere but a lot of the "touchless" car washes recycle their water with minimal purificaton resulting in a bit of a wet sandblasting. I stay away from them...don't even let my dealer wash my MINI when it's in for service. I paid for it...I'll wash & care for it. I don't even like handing over the keys for service appointments. I've seen how they drive our cars...

Old 06-25-2010, 07:20 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
First scratch/dent is always the worst....

Brought home the Titan years ago for about the third time, opened the door in the garage and the mirror knocks the leaf blower off the wall. Right onto the LF fender. Then it officially became a work truck.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:00 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the Web Spokes as well. The outer aluminum rim has a clear coat on it. If that seal has been broken, the only thing you can do is to get it recoated. The coating is slowly peeling off at least two of my rims. Not sure what I will do in the future about it, aside from getting some aftermarket rims I have been eyeballing for awhile.

If the center (painted) section is scuffed, and the scratches are not very deep, try picking up a bottle of 3M 3000 polish. It's like a liquid version of 3000-grit sandpaper. I just used this on my entire MINI this past weekend. I did not even use a buffer; I applied it in the same manner as a wax. In places were the scratches were a little more pronounced, I buffed, reapplied, and buffed again. That stuff made the entire surface of my MINI feel like a baby's bottom. I had a slight shadow effect in the clear coat down the sides from the top edge of the doorway down about 8-10 inches. That's all gone now. Make sure to wax afterward.

Previously, I have used Eagle One Nano Wheel Polish. I'm not sure of it's density, so it could be similar to the 3M 3000 product. I do recall it make the wheels smooth, too. Perhaps use the 3M first, then the Eagle One polish last.

I took these pictures after I finished:

http://www.cybertekit.net/mini/2006/mini026.jpg
http://www.cybertekit.net/mini/2006/mini027.jpg
http://www.cybertekit.net/mini/2006/mini028.jpg
http://www.cybertekit.net/mini/2006/mini029.jpg

Old 06-25-2010, 08:06 AM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
Same here.

I guess it could be true as im only 25, but I have yet to curb any wheel on any of my cars past and present (knock on wood)
Man you just jinxed yourself....

Curbing a wheel is like crashing on a motorcycle. Either you have or you're about to.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:04 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
Same here.

I hope you can keep your record forever.
I thought I would but at 48 I curbed a wheel for the first time. I felt like a dork for not knowing the edges of the car but I agree with the saying it will happen to everyone if you drive long enough.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:58 PM
darwinian
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that sucks man, but why would you use the auto washes? hand wash is the way to go.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:46 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
A lot of hand washes are now only $11 to $23 for a basic hand wash.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have less faith in car washes that have any form of touching my paint. The condition of the towels and sponges of someone else's hand wash are un known.

Have you ever seen a car wash guy drop a towel and pick it up? I have seen this @ our local big box hand wash.

Alex

Old 06-27-2010, 06:18 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
www.bavauto.com sells a rim repair kit, including a bonding filler for deep rashes. The filler is shape/sandable when cured. Includes paint for (some) MINI rims and clear coating. I think it is less than 35 dollars for the kit.