Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Run-Flat vs. Conventional Tubeless Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 07:40 AM
hankspalmer
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run-Flat vs. Conventional Tubeless Tires

I have a 2006 Mini Cooper S with 34,000 miles, and it's time to replace the original tires, which are Dunlop Sport 5000 DSST 195/55R16 87V M+S run-flat tires. I'm wondering whether to replace with conventional tubless radial tires. I understand that I would have to buy a spare wheel and tire and that there is no place for the spare - I'd have to put it in the folded-down rear seat area, which is not a problem for me.

I travel across desolate stretches of Nevada, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana. Luckily, I have never had a flat. The dealer service guy tells me that (1) a flat run-flat tire should never be repaired, but must be replaced, (2) that this must be done at a Mini dealer, (3) that tire repair shops cannot repair run-flat tires, and (4) that only the specified run-flat tires should be used on my car. These conditions make driving across desolate stretches risky, since it may be more than 50-100 miles to the next town, which would likely not have (1) a Mini dealer, (2) a place to buy a run-flat tire, or (3) a repair shop that could fix a flat run-flat tire.

Also, I am used to getting 50-70,000 mile treadwear on the Accura, Honda, and Toyota cars I've driven previously.

Can I use conventional tubeless radial tires on my Mini? This would ease my mind when driving on desolate stretches, and would probably substantially increase the tire life.

How would a conventional tubeless tire impact the performanc of the car?

Could I use any appropriate 195/55R16 tubeless tire?

Thanks for any assistance.

Hank Palmer

Old 07-11-2010, 08:27 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of us change from run flats to improve the ride. As cool as the Run Flat technology is, there are times where run flats really won't help you. If you find yourself in a small town in the middle of nowhere, they probably won't be able to get you running again because RF's are expensive and not likely to be stocked. RF's won't help if you damage your sidewall say from a deep pothole. RF's are great that you can keep driving at a slower speed for a certain number of miles if you are unable to change the tires. I'd insist on RF's for my daughter (if I had one) or my wife, but for myself, conventional tires are much preferred and carry a MINI doughnut spare.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:21 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
I only carry spare for logn trips (over 150 miles) may I also suggest a flat kit (small lighter powered air compressor and a can of fix a flat) and AAA membership.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:22 PM
scottie10014
3rd Gear
I switched from crappy run-flats to Michelin Pilot A/S Plus and haven't looked back since. You feel less bumps and there's a significant reduction in tramlining. I carry the Conti Comfort Kit in my trunk (mini air compressor and tire gunk) just in case.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:58 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get some "Slime"

I just changed from runflts to Michelin Exalta PE2's. I carry my Slime & a Slime air compressor in the cubby hole in the trunk.

AAA or nobody else seems to ever want to put a plug in a runflat tire. They will plug a regular tire though so If you have AAA just call them if you get a flat. If not possible you can use the "Slime" and that will get you going to where you can get the tire patched.

I carry the Slime aerasol cans and a can of regular. Slime will not destroy the Tire Sensers in the wheels like Fix-A-Flat. It washes out with wate

Last edited by ronnie948; 07-11-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: add photograph
Old 09-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Ibia
Neutral
Switching from RF to Tubeless on 18" , any clearance issues?

Hi
I just got a countryman all 4s and, want to change the tyres to tubeless (in less than a week from using the car i got my first tyre side bump because of a pot hole) So i decided not to wait and to switch all tyres to Tuibeless immediatly fearing tht the next pothole might dent the rims themselves.
I am a bit concerened about the clearance, because the Tubeless will be larger in size. When turning and on bumps and so on will this effect in any way??

Thank You

Old 09-06-2012, 03:22 PM
C4RACER
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ibia
Hi
I just got a countryman all 4s and, want to change the tyres to tubeless (in less than a week from using the car i got my first tyre side bump because of a pot hole) So i decided not to wait and to switch all tyres to Tuibeless immediatly fearing tht the next pothole might dent the rims themselves.
I am a bit concerened about the clearance, because the Tubeless will be larger in size. When turning and on bumps and so on will this effect in any way??

Thank You
RF and conventional tires are both tubeless btw.

Why not just get the OEM size in the non RF tires?

Old 09-06-2012, 04:56 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by hankspalmer
I have a 2006 Mini Cooper S with 34,000 miles, and it's time to replace the original tires, which are Dunlop Sport 5000 DSST 195/55R16 87V M+S run-flat tires. I'm wondering whether to replace with conventional tubless radial tires. I understand that I would have to buy a spare wheel and tire and that there is no place for the spare - I'd have to put it in the folded-down rear seat area, which is not a problem for me.

I travel across desolate stretches of Nevada, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana. Luckily, I have never had a flat. The dealer service guy tells me that (1) a flat run-flat tire should never be repaired, but must be replaced, (2) that this must be done at a Mini dealer, (3) that tire repair shops cannot repair run-flat tires, and (4) that only the specified run-flat tires should be used on my car. These conditions make driving across desolate stretches risky, since it may be more than 50-100 miles to the next town, which would likely not have (1) a Mini dealer, (2) a place to buy a run-flat tire, or (3) a repair shop that could fix a flat run-flat tire.

Also, I am used to getting 50-70,000 mile treadwear on the Accura, Honda, and Toyota cars I've driven previously.

Can I use conventional tubeless radial tires on my Mini? This would ease my mind when driving on desolate stretches, and would probably substantially increase the tire life.

How would a conventional tubeless tire impact the performanc of the car?

Could I use any appropriate 195/55R16 tubeless tire?

Thanks for any assistance.

Hank Palmer
You can use any runflat or non runflat tire that fits your 16" stock wheel and it would be fine for street use.

Do not believe all the things your dealer service person told you. But you may find that some tire shops will not handle runflat tires because they feel their equiptment or skill is not adequate to service you.

In truth, any competent mechanic that knows how to mount tires well can deal with runflats.

Your solution could be-

Due to your long trips-
Carry a spare tire and throw it into the boot or fold down the rear seat and put the spare into a trash bag to cover it up or a cloth sack. This will work for a flat if needed no matter what set of tires you pick.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/mini-spare-tire-wheel.html
$115 , $17 shipping, fits all MINIs except for Countrymans.

Use longer wearing runflats in 195/55-16
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT $145 each, 400 treadwear
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....PRFT&tab=Specs
Tirerack test results-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=164

These are very decent street tires that will wear better for long travel than summer runflats and they are well priced.

I favor the runflats for you due to the longer trips and not needing to stop on a highway that might be unsafe just to change a tire, you can drive on and stop where it might be safer or better lit. Then the spare will come in handy.

In any case I think these suggestions are cost effective and very workable.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:10 AM
joe13472000
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
You can use any runflat or non runflat tire that fits your 16" stock wheel and it would be fine for street use.

Do not believe all the things your dealer service person told you. But you may find that some tire shops will not handle runflat tires because they feel their equiptment or skill is not adequate to service you.

In truth, any competent mechanic that knows how to mount tires well can deal with runflats.

Your solution could be-

Due to your long trips-
Carry a spare tire and throw it into the boot or fold down the rear seat and put the spare into a trash bag to cover it up or a cloth sack. This will work for a flat if needed no matter what set of tires you pick.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/mini-spare-tire-wheel.html
$115 , $17 shipping, fits all MINIs except for Countrymans.

Use longer wearing runflats in 195/55-16
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT $145 each, 400 treadwear
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....PRFT&tab=Specs
Tirerack test results-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=164

These are very decent street tires that will wear better for long travel than summer runflats and they are well priced.

I favor the runflats for you due to the longer trips and not needing to stop on a highway that might be unsafe just to change a tire, you can drive on and stop where it might be safer or better lit. Then the spare will come in handy.

In any case I think these suggestions are cost effective and very workable.

The pole position run flats seem to be mentioned quite frequently and very positively. The ride quality is reported to be comparable to a non-run flat. However, is the comparison between a non-run flat ultra high performance summer tire and the all season pole position run flat. So, is the comparison biased somewhat?

I'll post separately on this, but the harsh ride with my stock 17" run flat performance summer tires is starting to get old. I'm wondering if simply switching to the pole position run flats will make a dramatic difference? I'm reluctant to make the switch to non run flats and carry a repair kit. But possibly that's what I need to do and maybe I even want to drop down to 16" wheels combined with all season non-run flats.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:36 AM
scottie10014
3rd Gear
IMHO, run flats suck and add significant bump to your ride quality. I switched to Michelin Pilot A/S Plus from my run flats and have never looked back. They're great in dry and wet (inc. snow) conditions here in NYC. Even took them to Vermont in December (perhaps not the best idea) and they were ok. I carry the Continental Comfort Kit around with me to be on the safe side. It's basically an air compressor and slime in a can, in one compact box that I chuck in the trunk... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...OENAvQ&cad=rja

As other have said, you can always by a spacesaver tire from OutMotoring and others.