Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:43 AM
frankatdbqcanvas
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake dust

I have just replaced all my brake pads with EBC red but the dust is just as bad as the factory pads any suggestions ?

thanks

Old 07-22-2010, 06:09 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems like you picked the wrong pads. From what I understand the reds are supposed to be an aggressive pad. That means that they will dust heavily.

Your alternative to dusty wheels is to get a set of ceramic pads. I use them on the street & they work fine, but they are not aggressive enough for serious track use unless you really pay attention to how they are behaving.

All pads dust, some lots more than others....

Old 07-22-2010, 06:16 AM
frankatdbqcanvas
Neutral
on there web site they recommend the red as having to lowest amount dust maybe there is a break in period

Old 07-22-2010, 06:45 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to EBC's site, the Redstuff pads are ceramic.

There are TWO reasons our customers love Redstuff, First because they are the lowest dust pad we have encountered by reducing dust by 60-90%. Plus the minimal dust you see is very easily removed with a simple sponge wash as it contains no steel fibre particles as in ALL OTHER pads. Second they brake like an alligator right from cold (as good as Original pads or better) and just get better as they heat up.

This material is a Kevlar® fibre based brake compound enhanced with ceramic particles. If you have previously tried EBC redstuff (pre-ceramic compound) this material is light years ahead. It lasts longer, it brakes better and is quieter.

Being a hard wearing pad, bed-in times can be as long as 1000 miles and drivers must be patient until the pad takes up the shape of their disc (brake rotor). This is a truly impressive fast road pad for repeated heavy braking.

It emits far less dust than semi-metallic pads and has been proven to stop a passenger car/sedan/sport compact/hot hatch 13 metres quicker than OEM pads from 100mph/160kph. Features EBC Brake-In surface coating which conditions rotor surface and accelerates pad bed-in. Nominal friction coefficient 0.5 with approx. 50% dust reduction.

Originally Posted by Crashton
Seems like you picked the wrong pads. From what I understand the reds are supposed to be an aggressive pad. That means that they will dust heavily.

Your alternative to dusty wheels is to get a set of ceramic pads. I use them on the street & they work fine, but they are not aggressive enough for serious track use unless you really pay attention to how they are behaving.

All pads dust, some lots more than others....

Old 07-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Oh *#!!! no dyslexia again strikes me.

Thanks for setting me straight OctaneGuy...

Old 07-22-2010, 07:07 AM
OctaneGuy
Well it seems there was a time they were not ceramic based, so I think you were right too!

Oh *#!!! no dyslexia again strikes me.

Thanks for setting me straight OctaneGuy...

Old 07-22-2010, 07:09 AM
frankatdbqcanvas
Neutral
i guess i will wait and see i probably only a have couple a hundred mile on them so they are not really broke in yet thanks guys for the feed back

Old 07-22-2010, 07:13 AM
ramjet77
3rd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
When I replaced the OEM pads a couple of years ago, I installed EBC Greens (along with new rotors) basrd on forum members' claims of les dust than OEM. NOT SO! Actually I've found that the pad dust contains larger particulates which burn into the finish.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 AM
MINIspud
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tested and proven that it ACTUALLY WORKS.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
According to EBC's site, the Redstuff pads are ceramic.

has been proven to stop a passenger car/sedan/sport compact/hot hatch 13 metres quicker than OEM pads from 100mph/160kph.
WOW, over 42 feet better stopping dist!?!?!
I probably won't be at 100mph as I am only on the street but that is a lot.
(Not questioning OctaneGuy, or EBC's claim)

Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I also have just installed the Redstuff. I didn't get a good clean on the wheels before the brakes so I am not sure if it is pre EBC dust or not. Though I tell you these pads are awesome. I had yellow stuff on my last car and it was too much for the street. They would take longer to warm up and when they did they would grab ferociously. I still haven't found any of that Armor All stuff yet.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:41 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
YES the EBC pads will take a little while for them to bed in, until then they will have alot of dust still, but after that they will get better.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Well it seems there was a time they were not ceramic based, so I think you were right too!
I'm so confused, off to take my meds now...

Old 07-22-2010, 11:35 AM
OctaneGuy
Not my claim!! I just grabbed it from their website, lol. But I was interested in the Redstuff pads...well cause I like red, lol. But I didn't want to lose any of the awesome braking performance of stock.

Originally Posted by thulchatt
WOW, over 42 feet better stopping dist!?!?!
I probably won't be at 100mph as I am only on the street but that is a lot.
(Not questioning OctaneGuy, or EBC's claim)

Old 07-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
For normal street driving the stock pads do have a very nice initial bite. They also have loads of dust which also bites. I bit the bullet & got ceramics with less initial bite. Low brake dust definitely does not bite.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:43 AM
OctaneGuy
Oh but you're on a 2006. On my 2010, the brakes are EVEN better, lol. Even more sensitive which I like. Hmm OP didn't say what he's got.

For normal street driving the stock pads do have a very nice initial bite. They also have loads of dust which also bites. I bit the bullet & got ceramics with less initial bite. Low brake dust definitely does not bite.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Yep you have those turbo pads & I have the supercharged ones. My brakes whine better.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:40 PM
david in germany
5th Gear
I have to vouch for the redstuff pads. I have them paired up with TSW slotted rotors and they are perfect for my hard driving on the autobahn. I fear for anyone behind me when I need to brake hard..

Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
for OP

EBC's website and on package warnings caution about the 'break-in coating'

as someone here stated it can take 1000 miles to wear thru this special coating. The EBC box even advises not to complain about noise for 500 miles because of this coating.

Things will change once you get thru that coating. NO DUST? Welllll .... I never said that.... I use(d) greennies; on my 02 and 07 and may soon even change over the 79

Old 07-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
They definitely squeak and make all kinds of noise right now. I have only had mine on for about 200 to 300 miles. I just washed my car so I will find out if they dust a lot. They stop smooth with my Powerslot slotted rotors. I never experienced the bite that people talk about with stock brakes.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Glassgate
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MINIspud

Tested and proven that it ACTUALLY WORKS.
I just saw a video of this at Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/10218627) I am definitely going to get this. My MINI is a dust magnet!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Speedwing
4th Gear
S100 motorcycle cleaner cut 50/50 with water. Pic below is Not my MINI but my recently sold 96 ImpalaSS. Those are original wheels with 14 years of use .... cleaned with S100 every wash. My MINIs R90s are just as perfect!!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:08 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by frankatdbqcanvas
I have just replaced all my brake pads with EBC red but the dust is just as bad as the factory pads any suggestions ?

thanks

I have those pads on my current car (not a cooper). That black dust you see tons of is the break in coating. It's to spead up bed-in.

The EBC's are fantastic (I'm speaking of the new and not old RedStuff pads). They get better and better the hotter you get them. Be sure to follow the bed-in procedure, otherwise they aren't worth a dime. Drive on them for 200-300 miles, then find an empty road where you can get to about 50~60 mph, stand on the brakes bring the car down to about 10mph, spee back up and then stand on the brakes again to about 10 mph and repeat about 5~10 times, until you smell the awful stench of burning brakes. Continue to drive for a while to cool the brakes down (preferably without needing to come to a complete stop). This will complete the bed-in process. You'll feel that the pads have more bite once this is done.

Old and cheap trick to keep the wheels clean is after you wash, wax the wheels. Think about it, unless you have chrome wheels its just another painted surface. An easier and quicker alternative is to spray some tire shine on the wheels and wipe them down. Keeps most of the grime from sticking to em.

Last edited by NJ Mini; 07-23-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Drive on them for 200-300 miles, then find an empty road where you can get to about 50~60 mph, stand on the brakes bring the car down to about 10mph, spee back up and then stand on the brakes again to about 10 mph and repeat about 5~10 times, until you smell the awful stench of burning brakes. Continue to drive for a while to cool the brakes down (preferably without needing to come to a complete stop). This will complete the bed-in process. You'll feel that the pads have more bite once this is done.

Be careful bedding in EBC this way, I have had preoblems doing it before this way. Kevlar = not as fly...

Old 07-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
thanks Alex - I thought maybe I was the only one who read the instructions on the EBC packaging . . .

Quick Reply: Brake dust