Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire recommendation.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tire recommendation.

My runflats have seen better days, one has formed a bubble, one has a slow leak, and they all have 12,000 miles on them. I am shopping for tires, and would like to ditch the run flats. I am not looking to spend a whole lot, especially since I'm on a semi-tight budget right now. I live in the Mid-Atlantic, so winter weather typically isn't an issue (excluding this past February). And I live less then 1 mile round trip from work, so even if there is a heavy snow, I can just walk to work. So, with that said, I want to get summer tires.

I am looking around on TireRack and am looking at either the "Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110" or the "Yokohama S.drive". Does any one have experience with either (or preferably both) of these tires that would be willing to share their insight.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:43 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The search function will turn up quite a lot of feedback on those tires.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I do not have experience with Yoko S.drives, But i have had my Hankooks for about 6 months now. They are quiet. Their traction is a lot better than the previous Kuhmo runflats that were on my MINI. A lot of the magazines and companies that test tires said they were "Deceptively good," I've never heard them squeal, granted I haven't tracked or AutoX'd them (being in the middle of nowhere, there aren't any chances to). In the rain, they have massive channels to push water out of the tire and as such they feel planted. It recently rained pretty hard here (2-3~ in/hr) and I had to slow down because i couldn't see. BUT I never did feel like I had to slow down from lack of traction. So If rain is frequent in your area, I think you'll be happy with Hankooks. But i cannot compare them to S.drives.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:48 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the S.Drives on my MCS right now. I have enjoyed them. Going to a performance tire from the runflats was a big improvement in grip. One thing about the S.Drives - they will squeal in a corner a lot quicker than other tires it seems. Whether one is annoyed by that seems to be a personal preference thing. I like it as I can better judge where I am in terms of traction.

Wet traction has been great and I'm still not getting any hydroplaning in puddles even though I'm down to about 3/32nds of tread. My runflats definitely started falling off in the last 4/32nds. Not seeing that with the S.Drives.

During this past winter season they did fine in terms of traction, even on cold, wet streets. That is, until there was actual snow on the ground. Then they revealed their warm weather nature and became a bit scary trying to control. But, can't really say that was unexpected.

Noise started coming on between 15k-20k, but still not nearly as loud as the OEM runflats when they were mid- to late-life.

hth!

Old 07-25-2010, 05:59 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been very happy with my very reasonably priced Kuhmo ASTs non-runflats. General Exclaim UHPs are also a very reasonable choice with great reviews.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:10 AM
Sidewalksam
3rd Gear
good tires for summer anyone want to comment on a good all season that will be good in winter (snow Ice) as well as something that will last more then 25-30k miles?

Old 07-25-2010, 06:37 AM
R56 Wi MINI
3rd Gear
I have had the Hankook's on my MCS for about 1k miles now (switched from Kuhmo Ecsta SPT RF tires) and I love them. Road noise is way down, and ride comfort is way up. Handling also improved a tiny bit too.

For me is was between the Hankooks and the General Exclaim UHP's and went with the Hankooks because the Generals were backordered.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:51 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
I have also heard awesome things about the General Exclaim tire. They are very reasonable in price as well. I have had a great experience with the Kumho ASX tires. Lots of grip, good road manners (I heard better than the AST, but can't vouch for the AST) and pretty reasonably priced. Go with what is important to you. I need all season capability but I also need something with a higher level of grip and strong handling characteristics. Kumho ASX fits that bill.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Mini_berger21
2nd Gear
Hankook Ventus Evo FTW

I have been running the Hankook Ventus Evo for over 6 months and love them. Check out www.discounttiredirect.com as they have free shipping.

On 17x7s I run a 215/45/17 with no rubbing, and I'm on lowering springs (offset 40 on the rims)

My JCW R53 is a daily driver and I also go to a few auto-x and driver school events and these things are amazing. Really great ride, really low noise. Hands down awesome. My roommate was so impressed, he ordered a set for E46 M3.

Also, see Car and Driver review!
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10

Old 07-26-2010, 06:54 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Quick Lane will match online prices-offer free lifetime balancing and rotation-30% cheaper install costs and rebate $100.00 on Yokohama tires. Sold me on a four Avid Envigors.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:54 AM
andrewrmandel
Neutral
I don't know how I got 37k from my original Continental runflats on lousy NYC roads but I did - well, I kept the inflation right and memorized every pothole on my commute. Can't wait to switch to regular tires though - can't take the jolts anymore. I want it all - smoother riding, great handling, all season tires for bad roads. Any suggestions for tires and a good shop in the NYC area? Many thanks.
P.S.
For my 2007 Mini Cooper S coupe with 17 inch wheels

Old 07-28-2010, 08:42 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
"I want it all - smoother riding, great handling, all season tires for bad roads."

All would include low price, great mpg, and great tread wear. Since you left those out, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus comes readily to mind.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:06 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Assuming TireRack still has some, I am running Sumitomo HTRZ II's. They were $70 a piece when I got them, looks like they've gone up to $80. Great dry traction, good ride, not the best in wet but not dangerous either. I ditched the runflats at 10K, went through a set of Falken Azenis RT615's in just 11K miles, the Sumi's are doing great 8K miles later.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:30 AM
volki
3rd Gear
Another vote for Hankook Ventus V12 Evo. Had them installed on my 2003 MCS 5 days ago and compared to my last set (Falken) and the one before that (Kumho), Hankooks are the best. Road noise decreased significantly and the ride comfort increased (I am using 215-45-17). They handle quite well, too.

If you are planning to buy them from Discount tire, make sure you call few other stores and get their out the door price. They will price match almost anyone

Old 08-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Sabes
3rd Gear
So I'm looking for a summer tire which i can use everyday, and can autoX as well. I also am looking for them to last ~20,000 miles (alot to ask from a performance tire i know). The hankook v12's seem to fit the bill (looking for ~$100 or less for 215/45/17), except i was unsure how they would perform autox'ing because a lot of reviews say they have a spongy sidewall. So then I was looking at the Kumho ecsta spt, which seemed to be promising, and especially for autox'ing.

So Hankook v12's vs Kumho Ecsta SPT...
What do you guys think?