Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Plugging run flats???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Red Robin
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plugging run flats???

Its a bummer. I found out today one of my run flats has a nail and my extended road haz just expired. So since nobody will touch run flats can I safely plug the tire without worrying that it could blow out! I really really dont want to buy a tire right now. Im getting ready to go to MITM.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:24 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
Tubeless tires don't blow out, they just go flat. Put a plug in it and watch the air pressure.

Dave

Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Some tire shops will repair a runflat, some won't.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:50 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
My tire guy won't fix runflats any longer ...too many of the repairs he attempted did not hold. He has been told by tire manufactures that the material inside the runflat that is supposed to temporarily seal the puncture is not compatible with tire patch glue.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:57 AM
fishey72
5th Gear
If it is not big nail hole you can try use a can of fix-o-flat or latex slime. It can work.

Did you make sure it is not a simple valve loose?

You can try and do it yourself with tire repair kit from a store, worse case scenario it is a waste of time.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:13 AM
rataczak
3rd Gear
I have used dynaplugs with success on run-flat tires. www.dynaplug.com .They are easy to use.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:14 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do "not" Use "fix-a-flat"

I had to use fix-a-flat and ruined a tire sensor. It will destroy a tire sensor so you just don't want to use it. ""SLIME"" will not harm the sensors at all and is water solvent. Slime makes an Aerosol that not only fills the puncture but will blow up the tire enough to get you off of the road.

I had my tire store put in a plug to get me by until I could get my Michelin's. The kid put in a plug for free with no receipt or paperwork because they are really not allowed to plug a runflat. I still gave him ten bucks because he still dismounted the tire to try to patch it but the fix-a-flat had turned into a very hard blob of plastic that could not be removed. A plug was the only fix for the tire.

I got new Michelin Exalta PE2's one size larger 215/45/17's and they are non-runflats so AAA can actually plug one if ever needed. I carry Slime and a Slime tire 12volt pump in the cubby hole in my trunk.

AAA would not touch the runflat when I needed it plugged so the Fix-a-flat was my only option at that time. I had to replace the costly sensor $116.00.

If I knew how nice the non-runflats are I would have replaced my runflats a long time ago.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:43 PM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
How long was the tire flat, or was it even flat? If it wasn't driven but just a few blocks flat (no air) then just use a plug to fill the nail hole (as long as it is in the tread of the tire not the sidewall)

Old 08-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Red Robin
1st Gear
Thanks for all the help everyone. I ended up using the Slime Tire Repair Kit. The tire was never flat. It held air but would lose pressure over a couple of days. The nail was in the meat of the tread and it took 1 failed plug attempt to get it right...never done it before. 2 days and still holding.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:28 AM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by reelsmith.
My tire guy won't fix runflats any longer ...too many of the repairs he attempted did not hold. He has been told by tire manufactures that the material inside the runflat that is supposed to temporarily seal the puncture is not compatible with tire patch glue.
My car has the Dunlop runflats and they are designed with stiff side walls to prevent the tires from collapsing when there is no air pressure. Don't recall anything about an internal sealant...

Old 08-13-2010, 10:57 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Sure they can be pluged or even better "Patched"

The big reason they don't touch a runflat is that they have no idea how far or how fast the tire has been driven on with no air in it. If you go to far with low pressure the tire will get very hot and everyone knows that is not a good thing for any tire.

If you go to far with no air at all in the runflat the beads and sidewall construction will break down and not be very safe at all.

--------There is no goo or any other substance in a runflat. -----------
----------The Very Stiff Sidewall is what keeps you going.----------------
-------------------But not very far-------------------------------------

I had a puncture in my Dunlap runflat and believe me when I say you won't want to go very far with no air pressure at all. The tire still feels like a flat tire. The difference is you can drive on it at a slow speed to get you off the road to get it fixed. It still feels like a flat tire. Low pressure is worse on it. It feels like any other tire but will get hot enough to burn your hand if you touch it.

When I had my puncture I still had to add a can of Fix-A-Flat to get me on my way. It ruined my sensor but got me going until I could get someone to plug it off the books. "AAA" will not touch a run-flat & neither will almost every tire shop anywhere.

They do what they are supposed to do and they are disposable. I went with Michelin non-runflats and a Slime Kit.

I think I read that in 2012 all cars sold in america are to have runflats and tire sensors. I think they better educate the public or there are going to be a lot of major accidents.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:15 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Don't use fix a flat because it is not for long term use. Some manufacturers will allow a repair but it has to be done from the inside out. There are very specific ways to repair a runflat.

As for things like the sensors getting ruined it depends on the car. The 1st Gen MINIs do not have a sensor in the tire and some manufactures will likely go this route so you really need to know your car before you do this. Most of the time the sensors are replaced with a new tire anyway.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:14 PM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my goodyear RF fixed at an authorized Goodyear place. Definitely beats paying for a new tire!!!!

Old 08-13-2010, 03:55 PM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Gov will req tire pressure sensors not runflats.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:59 PM
truckboy
1st Gear
First thing to do is find out what causes the air leak. It can be a nail as you think, or a bad valve, or a leak in the rim/wheel. Then remedies can be chosen based on the problem.
Replacing a punctured run flat tire is the manufacturer's recommendation. But if the treads are still thick, or you don't have tire road hazard insurance, or have no money to buy a new tire, then there is no other option than to have it repaired. Taking out the nail and then putting in fix a flat compounds is the worst possible solution. Not only will it make the tire "lumpy" and noisy, it also makes the tire more flammable (since the compound is flammable).
There are 2 types of tire plugging. The usual plug and the "german-patch". For a quick repair the plug is good. To preserve the integrity of the tire then the patch is better.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:27 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by truckboy
Replacing a punctured run flat tire is the manufacturer's recommendation.
Not necessarily. Some of them have gotten on the patch bandwagon but there is a specific method they want people to follow.
Originally Posted by truckboy

For a quick repair the plug is good.
I have to disagree here.... A plug generally requires them to bore the hole out and make it bigger. The only method that any (the ones that say it is ok) of the tire manufactures have recommended for run flats is a patch.

Having looked at the sites again it looks like some are back tracking. Pirelli used to recommend a patch but they have now changed it to a resounding NO.... Bridgestone are leaving it up to the tire fitter to determine.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
plug = temporary only. Btw when you repair a tire most brands consider the speed rating no longer exsists,

Alex

Old 08-26-2010, 10:19 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Thank you Alex

Not only is the speed rating in the toilet but the tire could be very unsafe due to High Heat from riding with no air in the tire.

The next person that drives home with no air in your runflat I want you to just touch that tire. You will be surprised at how hot that airless tire gets. Then get on here and tell us about it.

When the "AAA" guy got to me on I-4 my tire was still very hot after driveing about 5/6 miles at 50 mph. It amazed me because I was driving in the rain at the time. He refused to put a plug in the tire. I had no choice except to put Fix-A-Flat in it to get to Tampa. I only had to wait for "AAA" for less then five minuites.

I now just carry A Slime kit plus a couple cans of Slime Aerasol to stick in my tire if needed. I still have "AAA" and they will plug a non-runflat.

Run flats are good, They do exactly what they are supposed to do. They get you off of the highway or home. They are Noisy and ride a little harsh but that is the way they are. There is nothing really wrong with getting off of the highway or a dark street in the middle of the night. It is up to the person that wants that peace of mind to keep using them.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:07 PM
wongtonsup
1st Gear
I got a flat on my Goodyear Excellence runflats 2 months after bringing my new baby home. To make a long story short - I was stranded without anyone to plug the tire or couldn't even buy a new tire. I drove 40 miles home on the freeway (at 50mph).

When I took the tire in to get it replaced, the shop inspected the tire, said it was still in great shape and patched it instead.

30k miles later. I'm due for new tires. The patch job is still there...

Old 09-06-2010, 07:57 PM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my RF got a screw in it the first time i drove it i took it off as soon as the sensor went off. the tire was no where near flat. good year fixed np. i assume with a plug. That was 5k ago.. i'll keep muh fingers crossed..

Old 09-12-2010, 11:19 PM
MrT
1st Gear
I just got a small screw in one of my runflats. So far the tire pressure seems to be the same, I'm assuming it didn't go through all the way? If no decrease in tire pressure after a week, should I just leave that screw there or do I need to remove it?

Old 09-13-2010, 04:16 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
if you leave it in there, every time it hits the road it gets pushed a little farther in . . . .

I'd get it out while you can . . .

pulling it out while having my DYNAPUG loaded and at the ready . . .

Old 09-13-2010, 05:22 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Listen to Capt._BJ

You need to remove it as soon as possible. I would go to my regular tire store and remove it in the parking lot. If not leaking due to very short length of screw just go home. If leaking get them to patch it from the inside of the tire.

At least you will be in the right place to pull it out. Don't forget to take your vise grips with you.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:51 PM
neuralstatic
2nd Gear
i've patched 4 with basic kragen patch kits, with the thing that looks like a rat tail file and a screwdriver and the stingy rubber strand you push into the tire.

they all worked fine. about 10$ to save 4 tires. ymmv

Old 09-23-2010, 11:12 AM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I realize that runflats have issues about ride and noise. However, I hit a chuckhole that was bad enough to separate the sidewall from the carcass. In other words, it made an egg. The tire (Dunlop SP Sport 01, 205/45-17) never lost pressure, even though I continued at expressway speeds (with frequent monitoring!). What was really remarkable was that the hit was hard enough to BEND THE RIM...

Quick Reply: Plugging run flats???