Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Flat tire repair kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 08:04 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can anyone enlighten me regarding the pros and cons of available on-the-go tire repair kits? I've seen "fix-a-flat" mentioned elsewhere on this forum but couldn't find a comparison of different kits (or is there just one type available?). Thanks for any info.

Old 12-12-2003, 08:12 AM
KiLO
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure if you can even repair the run-flat tires? Anyone? I'm not sure about this myself...

Old 12-12-2003, 08:26 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
>>I'm not sure if you can even repair the run-flat tires? Anyone? I'm not sure about this myself...

Not the runflats; repair kits for non-runflat.

Old 12-12-2003, 08:52 AM
DanStoren
3rd Gear
What do people do when making cross-country motoring runs with the runflats and no spare (MCS)?

Do you just hope you don't get a flat? Do you stay within a couple hundred miles of a Mini dealer at all times?

Just curious, as I am picking up Pepe from Ohio (Julie @ Classic Mini) and driving it back to Montana in a few months.

Pepe will be a DS/B MCS, black bonnet stripes, all 3 packages, rear fog lights, auto-dim mirror, rain sensing wipers, black leatherette, anthracite dash, black floor mats, black boot mat, mat extender (thanks Chief Charlie!).

Thanks,
Dan

Old 12-12-2003, 09:18 AM
macncheese
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out the "Mobility Kit" that comes with the M cars. I think its about $120 and it comes with a compressor and flat tire goo in a little bag that velcros to the floor in your boot.

--
Cheese

Old 12-12-2003, 12:26 PM
~Scooper~
3rd Gear
I was talking to a MINI parts guy about this "Mobility Kit" this morning. Now I'll admit I haven't done my research yet, but is there any benefit to this kit that justifies the $100+ price? I imagine that I could get fix-a-flat and a compressor for half that. Am I off base here?

(I ask because I'm about to switch from runflat to non-runflat finally, and am a little concerned about the flat tire eventuality...)

Old 12-12-2003, 01:27 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
>>I was talking to a MINI parts guy about this "Mobility Kit" this morning. Now I'll admit I haven't done my research yet, but is there any benefit to this kit that justifies the $100+ price? I imagine that I could get fix-a-flat and a compressor for half that. Am I off base here?
>>

Exactly my concern too. Is "fix-a-flat" the brand name? Are there other non-MINI products out there that people have used with good results? Also, what about good air compressors? Which ones work best? Thanks for any help.

Old 12-13-2003, 02:43 PM
elbee
2nd Gear
I got an air compressor for about $40 at one of the national chain auto stores. A can of fix-a-flat is only $6.00. I'd go with a decent compressor as the really cheap ones take forever to inflate. Mine does a SUV size tire to 30psi in about 3 or 4 minutes. You can also buy the tire plugger kits for $15, but the down side is you need to find the puncture. Fix-a-flat actually inflates the tire and puts a goo in it that seals the puncture. I have no experience with any of these products with run-flat tires.

Old 12-13-2003, 07:55 PM
grafiksguy
Neutral
I picked up an inexpensive kit at Pep Boys for under $20. Includes a bottle of Goop and a small compressor. Whole package is about 6" x 9" x 3" so it fits nicely in the back. Certainly a better deal than the $100+ that Mini wants for their Mini Mobility kit. Although it doesn't have the official logo. ;-}

Old 12-14-2003, 05:48 PM
~Scooper~
3rd Gear
Thanks y'all...that what I thought. Pep boys...here I come.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:00 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
i would not use fix-a-flat on runflats... no real reason, but i think
it defeats the purpose of using run-flats.

for my non-r/f tires i carry around a ac compressor and fix-a-flat
can. if i was to do x-country, i would carry a spare in the boot.

Old 12-15-2003, 09:56 PM
Dreamin
2nd Gear
Mini makes a "Mobility Kit", but I dont think it's available in the US.

The BMW Mobility Kit is HUGE... i've seen it and its HUGE... giant pump, can of goop does not even fit in the pump bag, and did i mention it's HUGE?!

GM makes a really nice compact one (like 6" x 6" x 2" - pump, goop, everything), but it costs $400 !

So that leaves:
http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/NMA4015/InvDetail.cfm
(At least you're getting Mini certified goop)

Or something generic (i.e. Pep Boys).

I think the type that you have to remove the value stem pin (like the MiniMania) is supposed to be the best.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:11 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
I carry a $12 compressor and a $5 can of fix a flat. On long trips I carry a full size spare with me if I have the room.

Another option would be to get the small size spare tire. . . .

Old 12-15-2003, 11:08 PM
hafid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got rid of the run flats and will be doing the fix-a-flat/air compressor routine....i'm also going to buy an extra steel wheel with a 15" tire on it matched to the same height as my 17s that I will take with me on fun-runs and long trips.

btw....I followed that link to mini mania and noticed a link for a chrome bezel for nav screens...as i have a nav, I thought, "hey that's cool"........and then found out it was $199.99!!! what in the world????

Old 02-06-2004, 12:48 PM
SynergyONE
2nd Gear
I just found a kit made by Slime. It is called the fifteen minute spare and includes 1- 16oz bottle of Slime, 12V air compressor 300psi and a bag to store it in for $24.99. http://www.basspro-shops.com

Old 02-06-2004, 12:55 PM
manoo
3rd Gear
MiniMania sells a run flat kit for about $70. check it out. i carried it across the country with me. no flat but the assurance of the kit.

Old 02-06-2004, 02:46 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
Im running winter tires now and I got a nice lil setup at costco for 30 bucks that hase fix-a-flat, compressor, flares, first aid kit, flashlight, yada yada yada in a decent padded bag. Check it out.
The tireguy is NOT going to be happy when he pulls the tire of the rim after using this can of goop... but better him than me, right?

--
Cheese

Old 02-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Aldo
Neutral
Hi all,
I have been concerned with the problem of flat tyres on the Mini even with runflats. My understanding is that some runflat manufacturers (Pirelli) do not recommend repairing runflat tyres.

I understand that using temporary tyre sealant causes problems to the tyre technicians when they come to permanently fix the tyre particularly that it is difficult to clean from tyre and wheel.

Any way my question, is has anybody looked at the permanently installed tyre sealants. That is you install the tyre sealant and it coats the inside of the tyre. If you get a puncture the sealant flows into the hole and permanently fixes it. It is claimed that the sealant also aids tyre life, has corrosion inhibiters for aluminium and steel and will wash away with water when it is time to change the tyre. One company I have found is “Ride-On Tire Protection System (TPS)” , here is their web site;
http://www.ride-on.com/main.htm

Regards
Aldo

Old 02-08-2004, 09:14 PM
mfj20th
1st Gear
Hi...I pickd up oe of the Slime Repair kits, with goop and a compressor in a great little packag...these were highly recommended by someone who used one...They are $30...I gogled for it and found it online.

Old 02-08-2004, 10:50 PM
motormad
3rd Gear
WIth the right tools, a puncture is easy to fix. There are some compact and low weight tire plug kits on the market which when combined with a small cigarette lighter powered electric air compressor can have you up and going again in no time at all. These will work on most punctures which is the majority of the flats you might see.

Now if you hit something that causes a long gash or causes the tire to shread you had better have a cell phone, be in cell range, and some good friends. If I were heading out to no where, at night, in a snow storm...etc. , then I would want to carry a spare in the back. I also carry a sleeping bag and food & water when I travel and I ain't no boy scout, just experienced.

Old 02-09-2004, 05:42 PM
fuzzyface
2nd Gear
Well guys, I have been using"Stop and Go" tire plug gun kit for motorcycles and they work great. The only change i made was to buy the self-vulcanising plugs from NAPA. size 5/16 for $14.00 for 25 plugs. I also bought a cambell hausfield (rp1200)compressor from wally world for 10 bucks. Plug gun kit is about 40-44 dollars from any m/c dealer, and comes in its own pouch. These are mushroom style plugs that do not pull out like the rope kind. Hope this helps, Tim

Old 02-09-2004, 06:04 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
If you get a puncture kit, I'd receommend one with 2 T handle tools - 1 with a rasp on the end to rough up the hole, and the other with a pointy end to stuff the plug into the tire. I've repaired a couple small holes this way and it's very easy. I drove on one in a 265/40-17 for about 5k miles with no problems.

Doesn't do you much good on the road without a cig lighter air compressor...

Old 02-09-2004, 06:09 PM
DOKLB
2nd Gear
Costco has a mobility kit with all you would need in case of a flat or emergency and it is only around $25..

Old 02-09-2004, 06:18 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
>>Well guys, I have been using"Stop and Go" tire plug gun kit for motorcycles and they work great. The only change i made was to buy the self-vulcanising plugs from NAPA. size 5/16 for $14.00 for 25 plugs. I also bought a cambell hausfield (rp1200)compressor from wally world for 10 bucks. Plug gun kit is about 40-44 dollars from any m/c dealer, and comes in its own pouch. These are mushroom style plugs that do not pull out like the rope kind. Hope this helps, Tim

fuzzyface,

The stop-and-go tire plug gun looks like the easiest to use - thanks for the information. I carry the old manual style kits but will definitely get one of these. I have a question - do the NAPA plugs work with the plug gun? Are the mushroom plugs that come with the gun not good enough? Thanks for the clarification.

Old 02-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Teampajn
4th Gear
The main reason for not repairing a runflat is because when the tire loses it's rigidity, It won't be as sturdy as it was before it was flat. The tire is not easy to notice it doesn't have air until it is wore out, about 50 miles or so, depending on driving habits. So, if it is repaired as soon as the air is released, it will be ok. If not you are looking at more problems down the road. But if you're in a pinch, ie: sitting on the side of the road, use the can and get it fixed soon.

Quick Reply: Flat tire repair kits