Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Advice needed.. experts, help me.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 06:46 AM
youngbin88
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice needed.. experts, help me.

Hello there.
First of all, Thanks for reading this thread and helping me out.
In total, I have two questions regarding buying used Wheel & Tires.
I am trying to buy a set of wheels for the coming winter. (and winter tires as well)

i. Would any OEM wheels fit snowtires? or is there certain wheels that will/won't fit snowtires?

ii. I live in Canada and I will have to ask sellers to ship it to me, unless they live somewhere near. If you have any experience of shipping your goods to Canada, how much does it generally cost? (i know it depends on the distance but if you can tell me where you located and where you were sending it and how much it cost, that will be great).

and Is there market for Ontario specifically? (in this forum).

I know I am newbie here..
and have lots of question..

but I know someone will help me out!

Thank you and happy mini-ing

Old 08-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In general, any snow tire of a specific diameter will fit any OEM wheel of the same diameter.

If you have 16 inch wheels, order 16 inch snow tires, etc.

Also in general, narrower width snow tires seem to work a bit better than wide ones, obviously because they spread the car's weight over a smaller patch and are less likely to plow. But if you buy the same size snow tires as your OEM road tires, you should be fine.

While I haven't trie them all, I've had nothing but good luck buying tires online (usually from tire rack, but I've also used others). I've also had no issue at all finding a local shop to mount and balance the tires. You can often make an arrangement with the seller to ship the tires directly to the shop which is going to do the mounting allowing you to avoid the transporting the tires yourself.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:53 AM
youngbin88
Neutral
Ah!, that's very helpful.
so narrower is better!!
I might want to look for 15" then.

Any idea on shipping cost?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Calz
3rd Gear
Yes any OEM wheels fit snow tires. Dont worry if you had run flat tires on before and now are switching to non run flats. The run flat wheels still accept non run flat tires no problem.
Just check tirerack.com to your zip code... they will give you a quick quote on prices.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:48 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by youngbin88
Ah!, that's very helpful.
so narrower is better!!
I might want to look for 15" then.

Any idea on shipping cost?
I think you are confused about what 15, 16, etc means. It doesnt mean a smaller tire size but a smaller wheel size (actually it does mean a larger tire size but not in the dimension Herleman was talking about) unless I am really confused about what 15, 16, etc means (or what the OP means in his above response that it is better to look for 15s).

I recently replaced my all seasons with performance summer tires (and will get winter tires) and thought I had a pretty good handle on the lingo, sorry if I am muddling the issue but it seems as if youngbin88 was on the wrong track...Can anyone clarify with at simplified, quick tutorial?

Shipping will be dependent on the vendor. No one here can really help you out with that unless they are selling you the tires! IMO, shipping is pretty pricey to go from Canada to the US. Dont know about the reverse. It would seem that there would have to be snow tires for sale in Canada, right?!?

Last edited by smurfette26; 08-24-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
15, 16, etc means. It doesnt mean a smaller tire size but a smaller wheel size (actually it does mean a larger tire size...
Your correct those are the wheel's diameter changes.

When you go from 17's down, your wheel is smaller in diameter, and your tire's profile # typically increases, so the same OD is present. This is call minus sizing.

When you go up in wheel diameter, the sidewall height is usually decreased to keep the same OD, called plus sizing.

When you do alternate tire sizes on the same wheel, its call +/- zero.