Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

i need tire advice (for my R53)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:27 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haha, they didn't look THAT bad before I left for Colorado, so i was surprised to see them so worn by the time I got home 3,000 miles later, lol. My tire guy was astonished too cause he mounted them a month ago.
Originally Posted by koolmini
nice, i glad that i'm not the only one who wears them down past the tread indicator

Old 09-02-2010, 02:55 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Haha, they didn't look THAT bad before I left for Colorado, so i was surprised to see them so worn by the time I got home 3,000 miles later, lol. My tire guy was astonished too cause he mounted them a month ago.
WOW!!! That's crazy!!! Let us know how you like the S Drives.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
I have that issue of C&D, unfortunately sometimes I question driver intuition on tires handling. My wife also runs S Drives on her 7th gen Celica, which has a chassis that rivals the MINI's in the handling department IMO.
hmmmmmmmmmmm, i'm back on the fence with the V12's
btw: i'm glad i waited, the more performance/sprinted drivers don't seem to care for the Yoko S-Drives, even though they liked the (discontinued) ES-100's

Old 09-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by koolmini
hmmmmmmmmmmm, i'm back on the fence with the V12's
btw: i'm glad i waited, the more performance/sprinted drivers don't seem to care for the Yoko S-Drives, even though they liked the (discontinued) ES-100's
In the end it's totally up to you. Don't let people who say that S Drives aren't that great let that be the deciding factor for you. In the end, driver skill comes into play. I bet if you gave Mario Andretti a Cooper with Tiger Paw tires on it, he'd out drive someone with the best performance tires out right now. I'm very happy with the handling capabilities of the S Drives and I consider myself a spirited driver. I have to replace my tires twice a year. Of course I run Summer tires year round. In all honesty, sometimes you the individual have to try the tires kit for yourself. One of friends told me Ecstas were the greatest handling tires. I tried them and did not like them. Good luck with your search. Let us know what brand and type you go with.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:34 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Ok got my S.Drives today and got them mounted. Here is what my previous Invo's looked like.

!

MC2 has a nice write up this issue on the S Drives.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:05 PM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
Have the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec's on the wifes JCW Clubbie. Love them. They do wear a bit, however the grip makes up for it. She will get about two summer seasons (April-October) on them. I plan on getting them on mine as soon as I burn off the run-flats.

I had the Yokohama ADVAN Neova on my STi. The only other tire that I would say is similar in grip to the Dunlops that I have tried.

BFG, Hanook, ES-100, and Michelin tires had less grip. Some had better wear rates but I want grip.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:18 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
I have that issue of C&D, unfortunately sometimes I question driver intuition on tires handling. My wife also runs S Drives on her 7th gen Celica, which has a chassis that rivals the MINI's in the handling department IMO.
Of course, there is some subjectiveness when choosing a tire. My previous tires were Bridgestone RE-01R's. Loved them, but when the time came to replace them, I was not in a financial position to replace them with their succesors. I had heard some people liked the S. Drives, so i purchased them. I drive my car pretty hard and do a couple track sessions per year. I knew they would not compare to the RE-01R's, but I was pretty disappointed in their performance. After reading the C&D article, I have to say that my experience mirrored theirs. I thought ultimate grip was pretty low, and it tied for second lowest in their test. Now in all fairness, the V12 isn't as good as the RE-01R either, but it's a heck of a lot closer than the Yoko! For what it's worth, Tire Rack lists the S.Drives as High Performance Summer vs. the V12's listed as Max Performance, which is one category higher than High Performance and just under Extreme Performance.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:33 AM
OctaneGuy
I had a set of RE-01R's for my autocross wheels and at one point, drove on them for 2 weeks for daily driving and they were excellent tires. Up till that point, they were the "best" tires I've had..compared to Falken Azeni, Nitto Invo, Yokohama ES-100...I had a slew of economy tires too..Falken Ziex 512, Nitto Neo Gens.

I just came back from a terrific mountain run to Big Bear running on my new S.Drives and they were fantastic. I was running with 8 other MINIs and was out in front most of the time with the fastest drivers and hugging their tails. When we all got back and talked about the day, those drivers first remarked how they forgot I was driving an auto, and second just how fast I was with a stock MCS Clubman.

I had the S.Drives squealing in some corners, but it was always predictable, and I didn't push it beyond my comfort level. I had just replaced my swaybar from an Ireland Engineering bar to a Hotchkis (thanks Way!) and at just under 5,000 miles, still getting used to the feel of my Clubbie.

I think a combination of my H&R coilovers, IE fixed camber plates, good swaybar set on the middle, all contributed to my very happy experience with these tires. Only time will tell how long they last, but another friend of mine got 24,000 miles from his set, so even getting 18,000 miles would make me happy. That same friend got V12's to replace them and regretted it, saying he wished he had gotten another set of S.Drives instead. The tires look aggressive when my MINI is parked too!

We had a video crew with us documenting the day for an upcoming MINI event..and I was told by all those present that my Clubbie looked awesome as they followed me, lol.

Richard

Originally Posted by davisflyer
Of course, there is some subjectiveness when choosing a tire. My previous tires were Bridgestone RE-01R's. Loved them, but when the time came to replace them, I was not in a financial position to replace them with their succesors. I had heard some people liked the S. Drives, so i purchased them. I drive my car pretty hard and do a couple track sessions per year. I knew they would not compare to the RE-01R's, but I was pretty disappointed in their performance. After reading the C&D article, I have to say that my experience mirrored theirs. I thought ultimate grip was pretty low, and it tied for second lowest in their test. Now in all fairness, the V12 isn't as good as the RE-01R either, but it's a heck of a lot closer than the Yoko! For what it's worth, Tire Rack lists the S.Drives as High Performance Summer vs. the V12's listed as Max Performance, which is one category higher than High Performance and just under Extreme Performance.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:58 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
That same friend got V12's to replace them and regretted it, saying he wished he had gotten another set of S.Drives instead.
Not discounting his experience, as I will readily admit that when driven at a moderate pace, the Yoko's seem fine and at any pace, the turn-in is superior to the V12's. The v12's did seem a little squishy on turn in. I pumped them up to 38 psi and they do much better. Plus after a couple weeks you do get a better feel for the tire. I will say that the V12's are even quieter and better riding (even at 38 psi) than the Yokos, and they don't squeal as much, even when reaching their limit.

This is why tires are so subjective. Your idea of aggressive cornering may be different than mine or the OP's.

Here is just one independent review on the V12's http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-09...iew/index.html

I think the Car and Driver review was pretty spot on. If I could have afforded the #1 rated Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec's, I would have bought those.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:58 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
thanks everyone for all your input
it looks like it's between the Hancook V12's & the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec's

Old 09-09-2010, 08:00 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Old 09-10-2010, 07:54 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
ordering time is quickly approching, i might even have to rotate before then

i'm swaying towards the Dunlops, Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec's
but i started to get cheap and looked at the Dunlop Sirezza DZ101
but i'm thinking that if i do go with the Dunlops, it will be the Z1 Star Spec's

Old 09-10-2010, 08:02 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My tire selling buddy in Albuquerque who is in the "know" swears by the RE01R Bridgestones. He says they are pure glue. I don't know if RE011's are still around but I hear those were pretty good also.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:59 PM
neuralstatic
2nd Gear
Octane Guy!
how've you been? and how are the new yoko's running for you?
i was just about to buy some runflats online when i stumbled across your posts here.

still recommend them? and did you happen to get them on the westside? -- as a consumer or with your connections?

i'm taking a basic auto class at smc, so will have access to a mounter/balancer soon.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:16 PM
OctaneGuy
Jeff??

I'm doing great! I love the new S.Drives. Anyone that's ridden with me, knows that I'm a pretty aggressive driver..I drive like I used to ride my motorcycle, lol..first off the line. Ooooh, don't go with runflats! You'll be sooooo much happier without them....oh you probably don't know that I have a Clubman S now.

I'm also living in the OC now, specifically in Anaheim near my shop. We can talk more via PM.

Cool about SMC!

Richard

Originally Posted by neuralstatic
Octane Guy!
how've you been? and how are the new yoko's running for you?
i was just about to buy some runflats online when i stumbled across your posts here.

still recommend them? and did you happen to get them on the westside? -- as a consumer or with your connections?

i'm taking a basic auto class at smc, so will have access to a mounter/balancer soon.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:17 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
My tire selling buddy in Albuquerque who is in the "know" swears by the RE01R Bridgestones. He says they are pure glue. I don't know if RE011's are still around but I hear those were pretty good also.
The REO11's are the replacements for the RE01R's, and your buddy is right, the RE01R's are tremendous tires. I think I managed to get about 7000 miles out of them and they weren't cheap! If I could have afforded to replace them with the REO11's , I'd have done so in a heartbeat!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Mini_berger21
2nd Gear
I'm running the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo, and yes, please check out the car and driver review:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10

I have 215/45/17s on 40 offset wheels, with no rubbing issues, and I'm slammed on PSS9 coilovers.

They are a fantastic daily driver, super quiet. I have about 8k miles on them and they are wearing very nice, and handle amazing in the dry and wet. I've been out to an autocross event, and they performed wonderfully. As I plan on keeping these for a daily driver, I don't auto-x them that much to keep treadwear down.

I just purchased a set of Kumho Ecsta XS tires for my auto-x rims...

Old 09-15-2010, 04:39 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
my decission,
looks like i'm goanna get the Donlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec's
thanks everyone for all your advice & opinions

Old 09-15-2010, 09:29 PM
ylsirc
Neutral
I'm not sure if this question has already been asked before..... But is it advisable to switch from RF tires to regular tires??

Old 09-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Mini_berger21
2nd Gear
YES!!!

Ride is infinitely better, better handling characteristics, etc.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:30 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
yes,
i haven't had RF tires on my Kar since 03,
better ride & handling on Non-RF sport tires
btw: i ordered the Donlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec's

Old 09-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Bug Magnet
1st Gear
Nitto Neo Gens

I just ditched the run-flats and had Nitto Neo Gens installed (205-45-17).
Best change to the car yet. As noted above, the non-RF tires are much quieter. Handling is still crisp. No rubbing. Ride is improved over bumps, too. Why the heck did Mini ever put these tires on anyway? ha.
The Neo Gens were $119 or thereabouts at Discount Tire.
Haven't messed with air pressure yet, the DT installers selected 35 psi and it seems fine so far.

BM

Old 09-17-2010, 07:08 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
34-35 psi I have a set on 16's. A great tire. Seem to wear better than the 280 rating they have too.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:13 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
i ran my yoko ES-100's at 36 PSI

Old 09-17-2010, 08:31 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
me Dunlops are in, now to get them mounted

Quick Reply: i need tire advice (for my R53)