Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Try not to use Fix-A-Flat if possable.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:41 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try not to use Fix-A-Flat if possable.

I had to use the Item called "Fix-A-Flat" in my Dunlap Runflat tire to get me where I had to be. It was a very stormy rainy Sunday night and I was going from home in Daytona to the VA hospital in Tampa and got a puncture in my left rear tire. Even though it is able to run without air it does feel like a flat tire. I made it to the rest area on I-4 and called "AAA" and the guy was there in less then five minutes. The "AAA" service guy informed me that they will not plug any run flat tire. He did mark the leak and found exactly where I could purchase an aerosol can of Fix-A-Flat so I went to the next exit and bought it. I put in one can and found that the air hose was destroyed at that place. Bought another can and put it in. The tire felt pretty pumped up so I continued on my way. I stopped a few places that looked to have air but every place I stopped the Air hose was gone or the compressor was not working. My tire was up so I just drove to Tampa. I had no choice because I had to be there for my Cancer treatments at 6:30 Monday morning. When using Fix-A-Flat you need to be sure the puncture is on the bottom of your tire when you stop in order to keep the hole covered. ( I'm sure it would be the same for SLIME" ) Monday after my treatment I went to a Tire store and they would not plug the tire so I filled it to 38psi and every time I parked the car I made sure the hole was on the bottom.

The Fix-A-Flat did it's job and sealed the puncture but it did ruin my tire sensor.

It turns into a hard plastic blob inside of the tire. This is a picture of it after I peeled it out.

It does seal the hole but will ruin the tire sensor.

I now carry a Slime kit as well as two Slime Aerosol cans to use if ever needed. I suggest you carry a couple of cans of Slime Aerosol even if you have run-flat tires because you can not go far on a runflat without any air at all in it. It will squirm just like any flat tire. (I'm not saying "LOW PRESSURE" I'm saying "NO AIR" )

----------------SLIME will NOT ruin the sensors-------------------------

Old 08-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Pathy01
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm putting together my emergency tire repair kit, and will definitely be adding some Slime products (plug kit & sealant). Do you carry a compressor as well, and if so, what model? I've been researching and trying to decide between one small enough to fit in the well under the rear floor, or one that's higher quality, but too tall to fit in there. Any thoguhts or experience with portable compressors?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
I bought the Slime compressor kit.

I got two cans of Slime Aerasol and a Slime compressor from
WWW.AMAZON.COM

I also got a Dynaplug 1007 Tubless tire repair kit because it is small and easy to use if needed.

A couple of rags and a pair of small vise grips

------I keep them all in the cubby hole where the tool kit was. -----

Old 08-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
If a liquid sealer is going to work on your flat (if the hole in your tire is not huge), you should use about a quarter of a standard can of fix-a-flat, or slime. As soon as you've put it in, get that tire spinning as soon as possible, and keep it spinning for a while. Otherwise you'll have a shaky ride at highway speeds.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Pathy01
2nd Gear
Looks like you've cornered the market on Slime Ronnie. I've already got a plugging kit with the old school worm type cord plugs, and expect that will be my first line of defense, with a can of slime as a last resort. I've always had great luck with these plugs in the past, as my repairs have always been due to a picked up nail or screw.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:12 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
mY PUNCTURE WAS HUGE

What ever was in my tire was not in it when the "AAA" guy put the air to it and found the leak. The puncture was about 1/8 th. of an inch and as fast as he was putting in the air it was coming out of the hole. A plug would have worked great because it was on the tread but he refused to do it and I even offered him a bribe ""CASH"" but no dice.

He did stress to be sure the hole was on the bottom when inserting the fix-A-Flat so that is what I did. After the first can my tire felt like not enough air and the air hose was not working so I'm happy to say it took the other can and the tire felt harder. I had 125 more miles to go.

If the object was still in the tire and not leaking like a blow torch you would be correct in your instructions on maybe 1/2 a can and go but with absolutely no air at all in my tire that was not an option for me. Both cans were required to get enough air in the tire and every time I stopped I made certain that the puncture was on the bottom. I'm happy to say that the stuff worked just fine. It hardened in the hole first and I guess the rest of it hardened inside of the tire. "SLIME" does not get hard at all inside of the tire so it will wash out.-------- Fix - A - Flat ------ruins the sensor.

When I did get the plug in my tire I had it balanced and the Fix-A-Flat although it was lumped on one side around the puncture had no bearing on the balance at all. it really weighs almost nothing at all. the wheel did not need any re-balancing at all.

Every puncture or air leak is not going to be textbook alike so you just have to do what needs to be done to get you going safely. If I could have added air I would not have really needed the two cans of that stuff. I'm glad I put the extra can in because there just is no working air pumps on I-4 at all let alone on a reainy Sunday night. I still had 125+ miles to go at 70mph. Any slower on I-4 and you are asking to get hit in the butt.

My Tire shop at home put a plug in for me (off of the books)I drove around a month or two with the plug in my tire until I got my Michelins.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:47 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Pathy01

I got the Aerosol cans just in case I can't get the "AAA" to come out or I get stuck on the side of the Interstate highway. It will get me going a lot faster then the plug kit will. It is good to have just in case. Like Helix13mini says. "Put it in and get it spinning." The Aerosol will put air in the tire to get you off the road to a safer spot faster.

-------I don't have run flats now so I had to change my strategy.------

Old 08-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Pathy01
2nd Gear
I've become quite proficient at plugging tires, having done at least a dozen or so for myself and others over the last few years. It does take a little longer than the Slime, but I'd say 15 minutes tops to jack it, get the wheel off, plug the tire, re-inflate and re-mount the wheel. It was even faster on my previous suv where I could simply jack it up, with wheel droop providing plenty of space to plug the tire without having to remove the wheel. Deflate, ream, plug, inflate and back on the road in 10 minutes. I'd really rather not pump the Slime in if it can be avoided, but depending on circumstances and safety, it's a nice option to have.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:22 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ronnie948
I got two cans of Slime Aerasol and a Slime compressor from
WWW.AMAZON.COM

I also got a Dynaplug 1007 Tubless tire repair kit because it is small and easy to use if needed.

A couple of rags and a pair of small vise grips

------I keep them all in the cubby hole where the tool kit was. -----

EXCELLENT idea - Is your jack in there?

Went right out yesterday to WalMart after seeing this post and got a the $19 Slime Spair air compressor kit - Even though I have the Conti all season SSR run flats. Fig'd it's a good thing to have air on board with no spare. Probably won't need the Slime, since the Conti runs flats are also self sealing I believe. Also carrying an air pressure gage in the glove box.

Tonight's project will be to remove the foam shadow board from the MINI's tool kit, and fit the Slime air compressor kit in there. Yet keeping things from sliding around and rattling.

Here's the kit I got:

Old 08-31-2010, 09:03 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Ronflats are just stiff side walls. (NO GOOP SEALER)

The Runflat tires do not seal at all. They are just a different compound with very stiff sidewalls. I once had Uniroyal tires that had the goop inside of them. Not the same as the new runflats.

I do not carry my jack with me because it would be useless. The aerosol slime is to get me off of a busy street or the interstate. You won't need it with runflats. Only if you have a large puncture and no air at all in the tire and you want to get home for repairs. I don't have runflats anymore so the Aerosol is good for me to carry

Old 08-31-2010, 09:59 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ronnie948
The Runflat tires do not seal at all. They are just a different compound with very stiff sidewalls. I once had Uniroyal tires that had the goop inside of them. Not the same as the new runflats.

I do not carry my jack with me because it would be useless. The aerosol slime is to get me off of a busy street or the interstate. You won't need it with runflats. Only if you have a large puncture and no air at all in the tire and you want to get home for repairs. I don't have runflats anymore so the Aerosol is good for me to carry

I will have to look into that - looks like only the ContiSeal marked tires are self sealing.... In which case the Slime Kit is VERY wise....

http://continentaltire.custhelp.com/...i=&p_topview=1

http://www.conti-online.com/generato..._cc_ex_en.html

http://continentaltire.custhelp.com/...i=&p_topview=1

Old 08-31-2010, 10:17 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
If a liquid sealer is going to work on your flat (if the hole in your tire is not huge), you should use about a quarter of a standard can of fix-a-flat, or slime. As soon as you've put it in, get that tire spinning as soon as possible, and keep it spinning for a while. Otherwise you'll have a shaky ride at highway speeds.
+1,

i've used both fix a flat and slime, both w/ great results. You have to expect that it will prevent a service station from repairing your tire, but if your stuck on the side of the highway, -fix a flat is a great friend!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:19 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
I just googled it.

They do make a self sealing tire.
http://www.conti-online.com/generato...tiseal_en.html

It says it is 85% effective. I do not know if you can run it while there is no air at all in it like a runflat.

When I had the Uniroyal self sealers on my van they were great. I got a nail in the tire I just pulled it out and they did exactly what they claimed. No Air Loss at all.

I did not know that somebody even made them anymore. They are better then any runflat because you won't lose any air pressure unless the sidewall is punctured.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:19 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
..i'd also recommend carrying a small fire-extinguisher in your car. I've had 2 cars catch fire on me and both had very minimal damage due to the fact that I ALWAYS carry a extinguisher. I had a Porsche 911 and a Ford Capri catch fire, both from back-fires which caught the filter element (of the intake).

Old 08-31-2010, 10:23 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Well that little turbo sure puts out some heat.

Posed the question to Conti if the run flat self seals also - Got an answer within minutes....

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations at Continental Tire the Americas, LLC.

No, the tires on your vehicle are Self-Supporting Run-flat tires.