Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

03 MCS front brakes pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 04:31 PM
b0bbY
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 MCS front brakes pads and rotors

Just looking for some input here. about to do front pads and rotors on my MCS for the first time 39k miles. was thinking about upgrading to EBC slotted & cross drilled vented rotors and ebc green stuff pads. Heard some good things about these pads. pads i have now are rediculous with dust. hoping the ebc's are better. no clue about the rotors. cant decide between the powerslots or the ebc rotors. any imput is greatly appreciated. going to be ordering these tomo. need to do them by next week.

lil background...im a very aggressive driver but almost always downshift when braking. looking to do some auto cross in the fall. pads generally last me a long time on other cars ive owned because i dont ride them. but looking to upgrade for higher speed braking.....im leaning towards the EBC pads and rotors....

thanks in advance for your imput...

Old 09-02-2010, 05:06 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Call one of the aftermarket vendors such as Way Motor Works to help you decide between all the options.

The EBC pads work better and create much less dust than the stock pads.
Carbotech and Hawk are also popular pads.

I would stay away from cross drilled rotors unless you just want the look. Some cross drilled rotors tend to crack between the holes when used hard.
Slotted rotors are OK. I use them. However, I do get a pulsation from the pads crossing over the slots. There are some slotted designs that do not pulsate much because they use curved lines instead of straight lines.

Remember brakes are cheaper than transmissions so use the brakes.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:13 PM
b0bbY
2nd Gear
never heard of any problems with downshifting. my last car had 280k miles (all mine) and i downshifted all throughout its life. also drove it hard. clutch lasted 205k miles. had 30% left on it when replaced(trans failed due to leaky axle seal, was dry) pads lasted me an average 60k mi. is this a problem with mcs? trans weak? havent read that anywhere....

Old 09-02-2010, 05:52 PM
b0bbY
2nd Gear
anyone know if the ebc red stuff pads have the cut out for the wear indicator plug?

Old 09-02-2010, 07:07 PM
MI MINI S
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EBC greenstuff pads and Powerslot rotors is a nice combo, rock solid.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Originally Posted by b0bbY
anyone know if the ebc red stuff pads have the cut out for the wear indicator plug?
Yes the EBC redstuff pads have the slot in them for the brake pad sensor to clip in. Those are really pretty good pads.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 09-03-2010, 08:04 AM
mikejano
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b0bbY
Just looking for some input here. about to do front pads and rotors on my MCS for the first time 39k miles. was thinking about upgrading to EBC slotted & cross drilled vented rotors and ebc green stuff pads. Heard some good things about these pads. pads i have now are rediculous with dust. hoping the ebc's are better. no clue about the rotors. cant decide between the powerslots or the ebc rotors. any imput is greatly appreciated. going to be ordering these tomo. need to do them by next week.

lil background...im a very aggressive driver but almost always downshift when braking. looking to do some auto cross in the fall. pads generally last me a long time on other cars ive owned because i dont ride them. but looking to upgrade for higher speed braking.....im leaning towards the EBC pads and rotors....

thanks in advance for your imput...
I have the green pads and love them. I autcross my 03 which has about 84k on it. Cross drilled rotors will probably change your classing so be aware of that. I kind of look at pads and rotors as disposable parts. Be very careful when taking off the rotors. I broke 2 of the holding screws off even though I saturated them with anti-sieze. I never bothered to get them drilled out as they serve no purpose other than to hold the rotor in place when the wheel is not attached. Even though I change my wheels and tires at the events, it has never been an issue.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MI MINI S
EBC greenstuff pads and Powerslot rotors is a nice combo, rock solid.

+1 on this... I just switched to EBC green with my powerslot rotors and love them. Nice bite....