Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

? For Alex: When to Fit Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:18 PM
ericfreeman
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
? For Alex: When to Fit Winter Tires

I have a set of new LM 60 RFT's for my '04 S and was wondering how long I should wait to install them (I have them mounted on spare wheels). Temps in PNW are still in the 50's with no snow, just rain. I normally wait until it gets into the 40's and lower to fit the snows but my current Continentals are about half gone and I don't think they'll do very well at highway speeds in heavy rain. Trying to avoid wearing out the new Blizzaks too soon. Thanks for your advice.

Eric
Bellingham, WA

Old 10-22-2010, 12:31 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Ive always been curious about that too.

Ive seen a lot of cars getting winters put on lately here in Ohio.

Also now that its dipping into the high 40s - 50s, a lot of us have noticed the summer tires are turning into plastic.

And my almost gone Contis are starting to feel pretty crappy.

Alex knows best, but my opinion is if theyre starting to turn into rocks, you might as well put the snows on. Better safe than sorry. Theyre made to work on dry as well...

Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not Alex.

For me it is usually about Thanksgiving. I could wait for the first forecast for snow since I'm now on all seasons, but I hate to be rushed & would rather do it sooner than later.

For you folks who have HP summer tires, cold weather really does affect how they work. I never thought so until I almost crashed my Miata on a nice sunny 25 degree morning. A dry road, a nice turn but no grip from hard as hockey puck performance tires. Yikes!

Old 10-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
My rule of thumb is once its below 45 degrees regularly. I run mine from Thanksgiving (USA) through the Ides of March. Last year I had mine on till almost tax time due to temperatures. Keep them rotated, to get the best wear!

Alex

Old 10-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Crashton
I'm not Alex.

For me it is usually about Thanksgiving. I could wait for the first forecast for snow since I'm now on all seasons, but I hate to be rushed & would rather do it sooner than later.

For you folks who have HP summer tires, cold weather really does affect how they work. I never thought so until I almost crashed my Miata on a nice sunny 25 degree morning. A dry road, a nice turn but no grip from hard as hockey puck performance tires. Yikes!

Old 10-22-2010, 04:47 PM
ericfreeman
3rd Gear
Thank you for the replies. I think I'll wait a few more weeks to fit the Blizzaks.

Eric

Old 10-23-2010, 06:47 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
I undertsand your concern, I have been driving in AM in high 30's listening to my flatspoted performance tires warm up. Its not dicey until you add a lilttle rain. Then you really want to plan ahead!

Old 10-23-2010, 10:54 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here in Germany they recommend 1 October as it starts getting cold. It has already been in the high 20's here.. BBBBRRRRRRRRRRR Cold.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:42 AM
ewmjr
1st Gear
What do you recommend for winter tires? I'm in SW Ohio...
Also are another set of rims a convenience or a must?

New Mini Clubman JCW owner - Thanks, Ed

Old 10-23-2010, 12:07 PM
david in germany
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ewmjr

New Mini Clubman JCW owner - Thanks, Ed
Blizzaks hands down.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Congrats on the new ride. Blizzacks are the best for snow and ice grip, are you looking to maintain runflat capabilty?

As far a wheels, You end up paying the same amount in mounting and balancing 2x a year, over 3 year period. It is more conveneint, sure!

Alex

Old 10-27-2010, 07:22 AM
spurvis
3rd Gear
Off topic,but.....

Hello Bellingham and to you Eric. I know this is way off topic, but I don't see Bellingham much in any type of daily exposure and just had to do shout out! My father was born and raised in B-ham and it has been my 2nd home all my life. I was just out there this past June and experienced typical cool and rainy weather. Of course, the day after I left, you finally made it into the upper 70's.

I still wish to this day I'm able to make B-ham my permanent home, MINI and all. Although, driving all the way to Tacoma or the new dealer in downtown SEA, for anything MINI would be a slight hassle as my MINI store in Cleveland is very near my office. I just purchased and installed Yokohama AVID ENvigors just yesterday from the Tire Rack and today will be the first day I'll be driving on them and I'm excited to see how they ride. These are the first non runflat tires I've ever had on my MINIs. I have this feeling its going to be a revolutionary experience. So thanks for listening to me babble on, but just know you live in one the coolest, most beautiful little cities in the U.S.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:37 AM
ericfreeman
3rd Gear
Thanks for the kind words about Bellingham. It's a nice place although a little wet for my desert-born bones. However, when the sun is shining and the mountain roads are dry, there are some fantastic driving roads. Yes, the nearest Mini dealer is 100 miles away but since I do all my own work and I can get just about everything I need online that's not too big a problem.

Eric