Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

brake pad replacement ?...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 05:27 PM
dwgates
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake pad replacement ?...

I just replaced the pads and rotors with an EBC setup I picked up from Atlantic. Everything went well with the exception of the Torx FHCS's that secure the rotors to the hubs that never want to come out here in the land of winter salt but after pounding them with the air impact wrench all four came out intact. My question relates to the rear caliper springs that look to keep the caliper from rattling. The front springs came out fine but the rears seem to be frozen into their mounting holes in the calipers. I sprayed them with liquid torch but they were (and still are) still attached. I actually bent them out of the way to get the caliper off to replace the pads and bent them back afterwards. Has anyone else run into this problem? What did you do to get the springs out? I'm thinking of ordering new ones but if I can't get them out there doesn't seem to be any point. I can just wait until the next pad change and replace the whole caliper (he said seeing dollar signs).