Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

White Wheel Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 03:40 PM
Bobbyn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Gang,

Sorry to post again on the same subject....Christmas Eve / Day is a bad time for replys...

I'm trying to settle on a set of wheels....I wanted the White OZ Supperleggrra's but they are discontinued....I found a few sites with them listed and will call tommorow to see if anyone has them.

Charlie recommended the Team Dynamics Wheels which seem to be considerably less loot...I like the Monza, The DTM and the ProRace1's.

Does anyone have any experience with these on the 2003 MINI Cooper?

I'm interested in understanding the offset and don't want to have any rubbing....especcilay if I decide to drop her an inch or so. I'm not sure of the stock offsetor the offset of the wheels I mentioned above.

As far as tires go I like a wide look and wanted to go with 215's either the Bridgestone 3pole or the eagleF1's

I'm sure this has been discussed over and over hear and sorry for the repost....my car will be here in a few days and want to get the wheels on their way.

If I got the supperlegs I would get a spare in case I trashed one.

Thanks for the help
and thanks for the lead on the TD wheels charlie
Bobbyn

Old 12-25-2003, 05:05 PM
FWD-MX5
4th Gear
Offset is the distance from the centerline of the wheels' depth to the mounting surface. CLICK HERE for more info. Offset for MINI wheels is in the 45 and up range. Your best bet is to call Alex at the Tire Rack when they open after Christmas. I really like the Kosei K1s in white, but if you have the budget SSR GT1s come in white also. Price (and time) no object I would get these

Old 12-25-2003, 05:20 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
Hey Bobbyn,
I don't know much, but here's what I've learned on this site. I'm sure others will be on soon to give you more info, and if I have anything wrong, they will speak up I'm sure. Using 205 wheels should not be a problem if you lower your car. However, lowering your car and using anything wider than 205 may be a problem and they may not, i.e., it depends. Different brands of tires are wider than others even though they have the same quoted width from the different manufacturers. Every brand of wheel also has a different offset. The standard MINI offset is in the 40's. I can't remember exactly, but say 40 to 48 or so, with 42 to 46 being a good general range. So before you buy wheels, check to see what its offset is. The larger the offset (i.e., 48 or 49), the more the wheel (and tire too of course since they are together) is positioned toward the inside of the car, i.e., toward the inside of the wheel well. The smaller the offset, the more the wheel is positioned toward the outside of the car, i.e., toward the outside of the wheel well. I have heard that the inside of the wheel well is where most rubbing occurs, but it also can occur at the outside, i.e., I guess on the fender flare or just before the fender flare on the metal part of the wheel well. So, having an offet too large or too small will cause rubbing, so you want it to be within an acceptable range. The smaller the offset, the more aggressive the wheel/tire combo, i.e., OZ Superleggeros have an offset of 37 or 38, which stick out to the edges of the car and look cool. I would recommend you talk to Alex at TireRack as he is an expert on all this.

Old 12-25-2003, 05:34 PM
kbseto
5th Gear
i just recently got the asa lw5's in 16" put on with yokohama avs es100's 205/50. huge difference from the stock s-lites with 17" runflats.

got the asa's because they look fairly similar to the gt1's. 6 paris of spokes, it's just the distance between each spoke in the pair that differs. oh yeah, this is all in white on a brg/w mcs.

i do plan on dropping it with h-sport springs and adding a rear swaybar with rear control arms later. checked with alex@tirerack on this and he said no probs with this setup.

i believed i read the offset should be around 44-48mm generally speaking. but there are always fine adjustments that can be made, depending on your final setup.

Old 12-25-2003, 05:38 PM
Bobbyn
3rd Gear
Jazz,

Thanks for the offset info...it was a big help.

I would really like to buy the package fro Alex.....but the only white wheels he has to offer don't have enough "spokes" to suit my likes....

I've been searchin the web for hours and can only come up with 3 wheels i like....
I think my choices in order would be...monza, prorace1, superleg.

I've had rubbing problems with my dakota and don't want to go thru all that crap again...especially if I drop the mini.

I'm gona call colorworks, and webbmotorsports tommorw....

I'll check once more with alex to see if he has anything new with more spokes coming up..

Thanks again for the reply
Bobbyn

Old 12-25-2003, 05:47 PM
Bobbyn
3rd Gear
kbs,

thanks for the reply....I just looked at that wheel and it's a nice looking wheel....I prefer more spokes...but would really like alex's "blessing"

Thanks
Bobbyn

Old 12-25-2003, 06:23 PM
Bobbyn
3rd Gear
kbs,

Why did you go from 17's to 16's?

And are the spokes on the asa's flat on the face or rounded? Do you have a sorta
side picture that shows the profile of the face of the wheel?

It seems to me that the face of the ProRace 1 is convex and the asa'a more flat but maybe it's the pictures I'm looking at.

Thanks again
Bobbyn

Old 12-25-2003, 08:23 PM
dandp
6th Gear
Contact vdubdoug on this site - he may have a set of the OZ Superlegg's for sale that are used. Corsica White, discontinued. But he does have a pair.

Old 12-26-2003, 07:10 AM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bobbyn
Check with Aaron at Outmotoring.com He's a NAM Sponsor...see Sponsor Directory.
He sells the Team Dynamics wheels. He may have photos or brochures that aren't posted at his site since he links to the teamdynamicsusa.com web site for wheel images.

You could even call TD on Monday and maybe they can send you the brochure they have for their line of wheels---the one they were giving away at SEMA. Their phone number in Ontario, CA is 909 947-0114. email is usateamdynamics@earthlink.net

You cound also make a requst for photos on MINI2.com since TD is a British company importing into the US. May have better luck there for a quick photo.

If you're looking for lightweight, strong wheels in white with more spokes, then the Pro Race 1 or the Pro Comp 1 is what you're after. Both of these only come in 17 inch, however..........and a 205/50/17 in a Bridgestone 03 will fill them out nicely.

Charlie

Old 12-26-2003, 11:28 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>and a 205/50/17 in a Bridgestone 03 will fill them out nicely.

If you dont mind a 25.1 inch tall tire!

Alex

Old 12-26-2003, 02:41 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
>>>>and a 205/50/17 in a Bridgestone 03 will fill them out nicely.
>>
>>If you dont mind a 25.1 inch tall tire!

Just for reference. From Tirerack.com for Yokohama ES100 tires in various sizes/max load/ and tire diameter:
205/45WR17 88W 1235lbs. 24.3" Stock size for MCS
205/50WR17 93W 1433lbs. 25.1"
215/40WR17 83W 1074lbs. 23.9" Smaller than stock
215/45WR17 87W 1201lbs. 24.6" Similar to stock and close max load.

Old 12-26-2003, 07:05 PM
Bobbyn
3rd Gear
Hey Gang....

Thanks for all the tire help...I decided to buy the ASA LW5's and the 215/45YR-17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 XL from alex today...I wanted more spokes, but I'm sure these will look fine...acually alex sent me a few pictures of a B/W and I like them..
Any input...good or bad?

Bobbyn

Old 12-26-2003, 09:23 PM
dandp
6th Gear
With fewer spokes, the white will be that much easier to clean. I don't think I've seen those on a MINI yet, not a bad thing IMO. I am really curious to see how you like the Goodyears as well, great looking tire, and seems to be a good performer. If I lose what little sanity I have left and get another set of wheels, that may be a tire to look at.