Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Run Flat versus Non-Run Flat

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 PM
scaiken
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run Flat versus Non-Run Flat

HELP ME PLEASE!!
I am interested in switching to non-run flat tires as they are too expensive, get low mileage and poor wet weather handling. I presently need two of them but if switching will change all four.

I am confused as to what I can actually switch to. I have 205/45/17's run flats presently. Does anyone have an actual tire recommendation that will improve handling in wet weather, soften the ride and not change the overall handling too much.

Also, do I also need to change the wheels as well as the tires? I am seeing mixed information on this. Thanks.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Malice Cooper
2nd Gear
Your wheels are fine. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus are what I will be putting on my MINI when my runflats are shot.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 PM
fishey72
5th Gear
Wheels are fine with non-runflats and they may provide a little softer ride, mine did.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:23 PM
trinigladiator
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out Tire Rack. I did some research earlier and the Michelin Sport looks like a great option. Make sure you get the proper speed rating. In the end, the "best" tire really depends on your personal driving habits.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:29 PM
hexmonkey
1st Gear
Check in advance with the shop you want to use to mount the new tires - some will refuse to mount non-runflats on a car that came with runflats from the factory, particularly if you don't have a spare tire. I'm currently dealing with this issue with my winter tires at a Goodyear tire shop, where the manager claims it's a liability issue for them...

Old 11-02-2010, 09:21 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Wheel size is not a problem, and finding a tire in your preferred size is not a problem. Yes I have heard of tire dealers who do not wish to mount non-runflat tires on cars that originally came with runflats and claiming a liability problem. That is of course nonsense, not having a spare tire is a convenience problem not a dangerous liability matter. If you run into thiis question and they won't change their position, take your business elsewhere.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:01 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by scaiken
Does anyone have an actual tire recommendation that will improve handling in wet weather, soften the ride and not change the overall handling too much.
You will be amazed how much better your MINI will drive with real tires. I run Bridgestone Potenza Grids. These tires perform well in all seasons, ride well, handle well and are not too noisy. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Model=Cooper+S

Old 11-03-2010, 11:13 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awhile back I went through the very same process you are. I had the run flats and I hated them. I spent several weeks doing the research and inquiry and this is what I discovered.

Yes, your wheels are probably fine. As long as you like'em you can use'em.

As far as tires go and assuming price is not a major issue, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus is most likely the best tire you can buy if you need all season performance. I now have a set of 215/45-17. I went up to the next size for a couple of reasons and I would recommend it to you too. I am amazed at how good these tires perform, the handling as well as the braking has improved significantly. Very Very Grippy! I absolutely love my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +'s.

If you are fortunate enough to live in a more temperate climate, you could also consider the Continental ExtremeContact DW's. The Conti is possibly a bit better handling tire at a bit better price at a bit lighter weight. If I lived in the south I would have bought the Conti DW's.

I looked into all kinds of tires from these and other brands, but the bottom line is that all the others were either "almost as good" or "very similar to" the Michelin PS A/S+ or the Conti EC DW's, but there was always a "But" added to the comments. So I decided to get the tire that everyone compared their tire to, I think I got the best. They look really cool too!

I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Last edited by djdraddy; 11-04-2010 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-03-2010, 11:40 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I had to replace a damaged runflat so I just purchased two conventional tires for less than the price of one run-flat. I will eventually get two more conventional tires when I can but so far, I'm super happy with my Continental Extreme Contact DWS on the front, runflats on the back. Also, I will do minimal snow driving but I was told they will do very good when I do. D for dry, w for wet, and s for snow just fyi.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:43 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hexmonkey
Check in advance with the shop you want to use to mount the new tires - some will refuse to mount non-runflats on a car that came with runflats from the factory, particularly if you don't have a spare tire. I'm currently dealing with this issue with my winter tires at a Goodyear tire shop, where the manager claims it's a liability issue for them...
On the other side, Ive had a garage tell me they wont/cant do my tire replacement because they dont have a machine strong enough to pry the stiff-walled RF off the rim. They would have no problem putting regular tires on my car, though.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 AM
neuralstatic
2nd Gear
i just switched from my RF's to yokohama s-drives. got them online from tirerack.com. very easy, good price, even got a courtesy phone call out of the blue from them about them not being RF's etc.

i mounted & balanced 2 of the tires myself on the existing wheels. PITA on the equipment i was using (being lowish profile). i paid 25$ each to get the other 2 done.

the change is good. not overwhelming, but quieter and smoother. get the can of fix-a-flat and a plug kit first off.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:30 AM
tvanhouten
2nd Gear
I too switched from run flats - see pictures below. These are 215/45/17 Toyo Proxes 4's. No regrets on making the change. Much smoother ride with more grip. Also had them siped...

Old 11-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Malice Cooper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tvanhouten
I too switched from run flats - see pictures below. These are 215/45/17 Toyo Proxes 4's. No regrets on making the change. Much smoother ride with more grip. Also had them siped...

I siped a set of tires a few years ago, I wil never do it again. Yes the inital traction was great, especially on ice and snow but my tires were shot after 14,000 miles, they were rated for 30,000. I had went in for a rotation and the tech asks me if I wanted new tires, I said why, they are barely a year old. He didn't believe me until he checked my purchase records. Fortunately he gave me a nice credit on new tires.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:24 PM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Some tire shops will not sell you nor mount anything other than what came with the car. Not a real liability issue, just a business decision to protect those dumb consumers out there that don't know about tire choices.

Go with a quality tire (research Tire Rack) in the same size, or even go with a 215/45 for a bit better ride.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:39 PM
ufomini
4th Gear
I have the Continental DWS all season 205-45-17. I got them for their inclement weather performance qualities. If I had to do it over I would have went with 215-45-17. It would have filled the tire well in better and put just a little more tire to the road for overall handling. I like my DWS's, however, If I were you I would look very strongly at the Yokohama Envigors too. Tirerack has excellent consumer reviews.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:56 PM
jmsamr
2nd Gear
I also have a problem with a defective RF tire. Is there any warranty on these from the dealership??

For those of you that went with a conventional tire did you get a donut/spare? Does anyone know the specific spare size that will fit a 2008 Cooper S.

I guess I will be putting the snow tires on a little early this year to put off buying new tires (at least it is 70 degrees today)
Thanks

Old 11-14-2010, 06:36 AM
alwzopn
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jmsamr
For those of you that went with a conventional tire did you get a donut/spare? Does anyone know the specific spare size that will fit a 2008 Cooper S.
The obvious answer is: the spare tire that fits on a 2008 (Justa) Cooper. Only on the rear, though; if you have a front flat you'll be changing the good rear to the front and putting the donut on the rear.

There have been several threads on obtaining a donut - the hub can be bought new from MINI for about $45, but they sell the tire for over $100. If you can get a Kumho replacement from Tire Rack, it's much cheaper.

Alternately if you're brave enough to go non-OEM, there are supposedly several other cars that use spares that will fit - if you can pick up one at a junkyard in good shape.

Originally Posted by buzzsaw
From what I can find it appears that the Mini has an H offset, 4x100 bolt pattern, 56.15mm hubsnout, 76.00mm wheelbore and the spare tire size is 115/70/R15. Bolt size is 12mm up to I believe June or July 06 builds then it may be 14mm. I personally would measure the bolt. The 95-98 Jetta, 82-89 Honda Accord and 2001-02 Civic are said to have the same dimensions on their donut spares. If you search "wheel bolt pattern" you may be able to find other models that match. Salvage yards sell them for a fraction of the OEM or aftermarket Mini sources.
Originally Posted by NewToMiniR53
I had great success in the junkyard with a 2001 KIA SEPHIA 15" donut. Perfect center bore, bolt pattern, and tire size ( 115/70 R15 ). Only paid $20! It doesn't clear the front brakes though Also, pick up 4 VW wheel bolts as the Mini ones were a hair too long for the KIA spare.
See also:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-74-00-a.html

http://www.thompdale.com/mini_cooper/add_a_spare.htm

Old 11-14-2010, 07:13 AM
djdraddy
Banned
As said previously, you can get the wheel from a MINI dealer. I almost bought a Continental 115/70 15, same tire that MINI uses OEM on ebay for $45. I would have but I was able to find a complete MINI spare in this site's Marketplace. Check it often, there was one available last week.

Also, you can look here this might work also: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-B3...7#ht_629wt_754

Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 AM
TerryW
1st Gear
I don't have RFs on my '03 MCS. But, I don't have a spare either. If r56trbo is correct, then the space saver that came off of my '87 Accord should fit. So, my questions.

1. Where do you keep the spare? There doesn't seem to be a place to mount it.

2. I bought my car used and there is no jack or lug wrench. Doesn't even look like there is a place to store all of the stuff. I don't have an oddment tray above the battery (should there by one?). I have seen roadside kits and will probably get one, but I also have good AAA coverage. So, my question is where would you put the tool kit? Left side compartment behind the tail light?

Last edited by TerryW; 11-16-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: copy and paste munged my poste
Old 11-16-2010, 08:35 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TerryW
1. Where do you keep the spare? There doesn't seem to be a place to mount it.

2. I bought my car used and there is no jack or lug wrench. Doesn't even look like there is a place to store all of the stuff. I don't have an oddment tray above the battery (should there by one?). I have seen roadside kits and will probably get one, but I also have good AAA coverage. So, my question is where would you put the tool kit? Left side compartment behind the tail light?
I've never carried a spare even though I chucked may RFTs many years ago. I carry this instead http://bit.ly/b6cLE1. It fits back in the cargo area, and I use a strap to hold it in place. BTW: I also carry tow insurance just in case the Slime doesn't get things rolling (AAA would be even better).

Old 11-17-2010, 02:58 PM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I just ditched some Bridgestone Potenza RE050A runflats for Hankook Ventus V12 evo's yesterday & can already tell a difference in ride quality. The non-RFT Hankook's ride like a dream in comparison. I'm in FL so I don't need an all-season tire, and decided on the V12's after reading a ton of driver reviews all over the place.

I drove through some serious rain last night & puddled water on the streets, no problems whatsoever. Can't comment on dry handling since I haven't broken the tires in yet & therefore haven't pushed the speedy cornering, but from what I've read I won't be disappointed.

So far swapping runflats for "regular" tires is the best decision I made since deciding to actually buy my MINI.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:19 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm also in Florida where it rains heavy when it rains.

I put on the Michelin Exalta PE2's and went to 215/45/17"s

These tires do not hydroplane at all and stick like glue in the rain. They are summer tires and not all season but living in Florida with a strick personal policy of never going North between November 1st. & February 28th. I don't need an all season tire.

Go to the tire rack and read some of the reviews on different tires.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:20 PM
GtownMINI
1st Gear
For those with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and in snowy climates...have you run these in snow yet? How do they fair? Getting to be that time of year!

Thanks-

Old 11-19-2010, 10:37 PM
djdraddy
Banned
I just swapped out my RF's for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 215/45 17's and I live near NYC which is what I'd call a semi-snowy climate. Its still in the mid 50's here, but when we do get the snow I'll post my thoughts.

BTW, I have the Michelin Exalto A/S on my M/B E320.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 PM
my1stR56S
2nd Gear
im normally against run flat tires and would get the tires the guys posted above but the other day i got a hugee nail on my tire and i thanked myself i did not swap em out when i was gonna.... would of sucked driving with a flat tire for too long.... but yesss i wouldnt get run flats again after these go out hah

Quick Reply: Run Flat versus Non-Run Flat