Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

steal or aluminum rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Vivian29
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steal or aluminum rims

Need some info: Can I use steal rims on my mini copper S for winter tires? Some ppl say the brakes are too big for steal rims and the offset is not deep enough. What to do??
Thanks.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:16 AM
QBear
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Vivian29
Can I use steal rims on my mini copper S
Stolen rims? Sure, just don't get caught!

Steel rims? To my knowledge, no one is making steel rims that will fit the larger brakes of the Gen 2 Mini. At least that was the case a year ago when I bought a set of dedicated wheels for the snow tires on my MCS.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:40 AM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by QBear
Stolen rims? Sure, just don't get caught!

Steel rims? To my knowledge, no one is making steel rims that will fit the larger brakes of the Gen 2 Mini. At least that was the case a year ago when I bought a set of dedicated wheels for the snow tires on my MCS.
There are steel wheels big enough to clear the R56 S brakes, I have a set. They are however very rare so most people end up with alloys for the winter.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:44 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
A lot of people sell the OEM wheels and tires off their new MINI, you should be able to score a set for a reasonable price. Don't forget, you'll need the TPMS sensors too....

But don't steal any wheels - it's not only against the law, it's bad Karma!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:08 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Depends on the year of your car. A first gen S can use 15's while second gen S cars are 16 minimum

Old 11-21-2010, 06:22 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Ooo, the spelling police are out in full force! ;o) And yes, I know. It was virtually irresistible.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:38 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
People like to make fun of others for pointing out errors, but isn't the whole point of writing good communication? Inaccurate spelling, no capitization and poor punctuation can lead to misunderstandings and repeated attempts, why not just take a moment and do it right the first time?

If you're going to ask a question, wouldn't it seem important to give accurate info first, so that you can get an answer that makes sense? Instead people prefer to assume the reader will just "get it" and know what they mean. Seems counterproductive to me....

Since the OP has not responded to her own thread, I wonder if she was embarassed by the fact that we pointed out her error or...... ????

I thought it was done in a lighthearted way.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:11 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
People like to make fun of others for pointing out errors, but isn't the whole point of writing good communication? Inaccurate spelling, no capitization and poor punctuation can lead to misunderstandings and repeated attempts, why not just take a moment and do it right the first time?

If you're going to ask a question, wouldn't it seem important to give accurate info first, so that you can get an answer that makes sense? Instead people prefer to assume the reader will just "get it" and know what they mean. Seems counterproductive to me....

Since the OP has not responded to her own thread, I wonder if she was embarassed by the fact that we pointed out her error or...... ????

I thought it was done in a lighthearted way.
No offense to anyone but isn't it equally counterproductive to continuously state that this person made a spelling mistake? In fact in my eyes this also appears to be extremely juvenile and pointless (much like spam is). The person made a mistake. BIG DEAL we are human after all. Perhaps he/she was tired when they writing this, or maybe they aren't fluent in English. In the end, aren't these forums designed for us to help each other with our MINIs, and not to learn spelling. It's just a thought...
It is stupid repetitive comments like these that deterred me from several e36 BMW forums. I saw how mean their comments were to some fellow BMW owners and I didn't want to be a part of that. Please guys we've created a friendly atmosphere in this forum. Let's not ruin it!!!

Old 11-24-2010, 05:16 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave

By the way MINIdave embarrassed has 2 Rs.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:04 PM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ellinara
No offense to anyone but isn't it equally counterproductive to continuously state that this person made a spelling mistake? In fact in my eyes this also appears to be extremely juvenile and pointless (much like spam is). The person made a mistake. BIG DEAL we are human after all. Perhaps he/she was tired when they writing this, or maybe they aren't fluent in English. In the end, aren't these forums designed for us to help each other with our MINIs, and not to learn spelling. It's just a thought...
It is stupid repetitive comments like these that deterred me from several e36 BMW forums. I saw how mean their comments were to some fellow BMW owners and I didn't want to be a part of that. Please guys we've created a friendly atmosphere in this forum. Let's not ruin it!!!
I love how peeple hoo rite counterattack posts, like this, ar exxtra carefull that thare ar no spelling errors of ther own.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:08 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
Sorry ellcapitan. I just didn't wanted to communicate properly (AKA the MINIdave wants us to).