Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Rotor Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 12:25 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Rotor Recommendations?

Need to do my first post maintenance plan brake job (R56). The car is predominantly my daily commuter, but I like a spirited drive. I'd just go with the OEM rotors, but I'd like to know if there are better rotors to be had for the money. Anyone have any opinions?

Might as well also deal with pads... I'm looking at either Hawk HPS, or EBC redstuff or greenstuff. Any preferences there? Or any others you'd like to recommend instead?

Thanks.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I really like my Powerslot slotted rotors. I had the Cryo treated ones on my last car but I didn't want to spend that kinda money again. I also have EBC redstuff. I really like the combo very good.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
I stand by to be slammed BUT

I stand by to be slammed BUT:

I've commented on brake discussions since I bought my first MINI in 2002 and changed the pads after something else was available; and it is far from an infrequently raised issue.

You want a quick answer of what is best or better .....

There is a TON of opinion out here

IMHO - READ IT

Before I bought my classic I started reading classic sites and absorbed as much as I could to avoid asking a question that was just asked 2 days previous . . .

"Oh .... that's too much to read" .....

that's what's called RESEARCH

I'll give you MY answers to your questions:

are there better rotors? Probably, possibly ... define better.

are there better pads? ditto

When I replaced the rotors on my 02, and what I recommend to people who ask is, get BREMBO or anything you can find at the local auto part store unless you autocross regularly. MINI front brakes were way over engineered from what I understand and an OEM quality system is fine unless you are searching for a BLING factor. In other words ... slots and holes are not going to improve anything other than your smile

Last edited by Capt_bj; 11-22-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:17 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
There is a TON of opinion out here

IMHO - READ IT

Before I bought my classic I started reading classic sites and absorbed as much as I could to avoid asking a question that was just asked 2 days previous . . .

"Oh .... that's too much to read" .....

that's what's called RESEARCH
Oh, trust me, I've been reading as much as time will allow over the past couple weeks.
I don't expect this thread to give me any answers, it's just a fishing line I threw out for some more ideas on leads to research further.

Originally Posted by Capt_bj
I'll give you MY answers to your questions:

are there better rotors? Probably, possibly ... define better.

are there better pads? ditto

When I replaced the rotors on my 02, and what I recommend to people who ask is, get BREMBO or anything you can find at the local auto part store unless you autocross regularly. MINI front brakes were way over engineered from what I understand and an OEM quality system is fine unless you are searching for a BLING factor. In other words ... slots and holes are not going to improve anything other than your smile
Ok, defining "better"...

Rotors:
I'd like some rotors that resist being eaten up by pads. I don't need slots or holes, but if a good option happens to have slots or holes, I don't mind. Just not going to pay a premium for that kind of cosmetics. It's a plus if the rotors last longer than the pads, though I understand it's generally recommended to change them at the same time -- if I'm in a financial pinch down the road, it'd be nice to be able to cut that corner next time if I need to.

Pads:
I'd like some pads that don't eat up rotors. Dust is unavoidable, but I'd prefer something that's an improvement on the seemingly excessive amount the OEM pads give off. I'm happy with the OEM brakes in terms of performance, and I don't want to take any steps backwards there. But I don't track the car, so I don't need some ultra-high performance racing brake pad, either.

And, in general, as rotors and pads are consumable, I'd like to keep the cost down a bit.

Lastly, though I've been looking, I don't know much about rotors. Most of what I've found so far in my research is all about pads.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:46 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 762 Likes on 622 Posts
Check out our Zimmerman rotors, they are super high quality and won't rust. Save your money don't bother spending extra on slotted or drilled on your street car it won't make a difference.

As for pads we've used the EBC's for a long time and they work great.

If I can be any more help just let me know.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 11-22-2010, 06:04 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Check out our Zimmerman rotors, they are super high quality and won't rust. Save your money don't bother spending extra on slotted or drilled on your street car it won't make a difference.

Actually, yes... I've noticed on other sites that the EBC Redstuff pads for R56 Cooper S appear to be different depending on front or rear axle (I assume OEM calipers), but on your site there is only one option. A little confused by that.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:22 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
+1
For street Green pads should do.
ATE pads are also a bargain.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:05 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
I've had good luck with NAPA's ultra premium rotors, which have lasted me through a complete set of pads and a token re-turning so far. Front rotors for 2007+ MCS part number is: 880605, Rears: 880604. ~$45.00 each for the fronts and ~$32.00 each for the rears.

I went with the Hawk ceramics (not HPS) for my first set of front replacements hoping that they'd be close enough. They're definitely less bite than OEM and with way less brake dust, but I'd say the difference isn't worth it.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:14 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ended up buying a package from fastmini.net. Saved a few $$$s that way and was able to just get everything from one place. The rotors were Centric I think. Nothing special as far as I can tell. Pads are the Hawk HPS.

Been very pleased with them. Brake dust is cut down considerably and what little exists is a very light color. Average non-OCD person probably won't even notice it.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Be careful of what you buy and where you buy them.
They are so many cut rate pads and rotors on market today that it's easy to get caught up in the hype.
The market is flooded with CHEAP japenese and chinese parts.
These will give you nothing but a warm feeling for cheap costs.
They won't give you any sort of a performance braking system.
Talk to Todd at TCE Performance.
He can set you up with a great system.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:48 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Vollgas
Talk to Todd at TCE Performance.
He can set you up with a great system.
Thanks for the plug but I don't offer any oe replacement parts, only the full on kits. That being said; if one were to buy pads, rotors, fluid and ss hoses for the car....you'd be perhaps well into the cost of the base BBK to a point.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:26 AM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
I ended up buying a package from fastmini.net. Saved a few $$$s that way and was able to just get everything from one place. The rotors were Centric I think. Nothing special as far as I can tell. Pads are the Hawk HPS.

Been very pleased with them. Brake dust is cut down considerably and what little exists is a very light color. Average non-OCD person probably won't even notice it.
That's a good site that I wasn't aware of, thanks. My only issue is that, from my own personal experience, I won't be using Centric rotors again any time soon.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:44 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by fishbert
Actually, yes... I've noticed on other sites that the EBC Redstuff pads for R56 Cooper S appear to be different depending on front or rear axle (I assume OEM calipers), but on your site there is only one option. A little confused by that.
There is a drop down selection on that page for the rear option cause the front and rear pads are different shapes.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/ebc-red...-jcw-pads.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 11-24-2010, 06:49 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by nicknbecka
I've had good luck with NAPA's ultra premium rotors, which have lasted me through a complete set of pads and a token re-turning so far. Front rotors for 2007+ MCS part number is: 880605, Rears: 880604. ~$45.00 each for the fronts and ~$32.00 each for the rears.
I don't recommend the NAPA rotors, we have an account and get a great price, but they tend to rust really fast, no matter what pads I used on them they had less bite, and we warped a set too. So I don't use em.

Originally Posted by Vollgas
Be careful of what you buy and where you buy them.
They are so many cut rate pads and rotors on market today that it's easy to get caught up in the hype.
The market is flooded with CHEAP japenese and chinese parts.
These will give you nothing but a warm feeling for cheap costs.
They won't give you any sort of a performance braking system.
GREAT Advice, you get what you pay for.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
, I won't be using Centric rotors again any time soon.
I have been using some for a few eyars with no issues, Whats been your experience?

Alex

Old 11-24-2010, 01:09 PM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Two occurrances of premature pulsation on two separate vehicles: Subaru Legacy,and Acura TL. Most recent occurance was about 2 years ago (the other not long before that). These Centric rotors had black coated hats and edges, to prevent rust (which they did) and were reasonably priced (slightly less than Brembo blanks). I don't know if newer ones, or ones for MINIs in particular, are any better, but in both cases I replaced them with Brembo blanks and never had a problem again. PS: both cars were running new sets of EBC Greenstuff pads, and both were daily-use street-driven cars.

Getting burned twice is no coincidence. There will have to be demonstrable improvements that have been made to Centric rotors' quality issues, for me ever to be convinced to try them again for a third time!

Old 11-24-2010, 04:05 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Makes me wonder if it was the pads...greens are good, but have heard quite a few folks with any brand rotors that pulsated...maybe buildup from them...
I knew a few subrau folks with that same issue...When unsaid someting getting greens they were like you will trash/warp your rotors...haven't heard any mini owners complain though...
My mini guy has had great luck with centric rotors...Even on auto-x cars..
I got Zimmerman rotors on the rear..I can attest to them not rusting much! They seem to be wearing nicely too.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:52 PM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
I always thought the EBC Greens were great pads. What other pads would you recommend that will be easier on the rotors?

Old 11-24-2010, 05:59 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
The stock rotors are soft...so they get eaten up quick by most pads by most accounts....since they are too thin to be turned, mini does not care...new pads=new rotors in their book...
Better pads, depends on driving style...dust tolerance, etc...

Old 11-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
On my 02 I replaced OEM front with EBC Green keeping the original rotors then when those pads needed replacing I went with Green again and used Brembo plain rotors on all 4 corners. No complaints.

Just b4 selling the car again replaced the fronts again with Duralast from Autozone just to have some pad material up there.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:24 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
So far I am having great luck with TSW slotted rotors and EBC red pads. EBC pads are really hard on the stock rotors but the TSWs take them with no issues. Just so you know, I drive the autobahn daily and I normally do not drive slow. This combo has never let me down and I am confident they never will.

One thing I did find is that when ordering the TSW rotors, the shipping price directly from TSW was 2x what other providers were charging. Shop around and you can get great deals on them.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:06 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 204 Likes on 168 Posts
I changed to the Powerslot cryo rotors and HPS pads about 4-5 years ago.
The rotors look like they're wearing more slowly than the oem ones, and the
HPS pads are a little grippier than stock with much less dust (less sticky, too).