Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

2007 MC Brake Pads – Stock Front/Ceramic Rear. Ok idea?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:24 PM
StLBrian
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 MC Brake Pads – Stock Front/Ceramic Rear. Ok idea?

Now that my 2007 MC is out of warranty, I’m planning on making some performance improvements when it comes time to replace anything on my R56.

The on-board diagnostics say that I’ll need rear brake work in 1,100 miles so I’m planning on ordering a set of Akebono Euro Ceramic rear brake pads in the near future.

However, since the computer says I’ve still got 22,000 miles before my front brakes need work, I am not planning on swapping out the front pads for another year and a half or so. Will that plan (stock pads in front/ceramic pads in back) cause any unexpected problems with safety or stopping power?

I am planning on keeping the stock rotors (or replacing them with OEM-quality parts if they’re too worn) since I’m fairly happy with the overall stopping power of my Mini – I would just like to cut down a bit on the brake dust. Does this sound reasonable? Alternatively, if there are rotors out there that would improve performance for about the same cost as stock replacements, please let me know.

Also, it’s been about two years since the brake system was flushed. Is it time to get that service done? The tech at Mini recommended it be performed every two years but I know some of the extra services the BMW tries to push are unnecessarily premature.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't but that is just me. I would keep them changed at the same time and I would replace the rotors to as the MINI ones are a little on the thin side and might not take well to resurfacing. If you don't re surface them you will chew through your new pads very very fast.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
have your fronts already been replaced under the maint' coverage? Very unusual for the rears to wear out first. I ask because you don't mention this point and I'd find it very hard to believe you need rears that far before fronts, or that you have that much LEFT on the fronts unless they were replaced. Are you on your second set of OEM fronts?

Either way I never trust the computer prediction. Pull a wheel and look at the pads. If the material is thinner than the backing plate, yes it is time to replace. No emergency ... but get thinking about it. If the material is less than a dime thick, get thinking about it FAST.

I always end up running a low dust pad up front and OEM in the rear for a while. The different types have never caused me a problem as long as they are the same on an 'axle'.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:41 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 762 Likes on 622 Posts
Check out the EBC pad options we've had great luck with them. I do also have the Akebono's in stock, I need to put on the website.

As for rotors our Zimmerman rotors are fantastic, and affordable. You can't resurface the stock rotors they are too thin.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 11-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Whatever you decide if your warning comes on you need to replace that sensor. Its not unheard of for the brakes to wear differently. Mine did. It all has to do with how you break. If you wait until you are right on top of what ever your stopping at you will wear the fronts out. If you slowly come up to stop and ease on to the brakes you will wear out the back brakes first.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:45 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
StLBrian: If you need rear rotors, the replacement rear ATE rotors at Tire Rack are a reasonable price ($39/ea) and ATE is a well known German brake parts manufacturer (OEM for MINI). These have grooves/slots which I'm not sure help performance but should provide wear indication.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:05 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably ok but I would not mix.
Having different pad material could change the brake bias which could impact the overall performance. Important note is that it COULD, not WILL impact.

Also, I would not trust the computer to determine brake life. Make a visual check to confirm the pads remaining life.

As for rotors, I am in the minority here is saying just check the rotor thickness and leave them alone if they are within spec. If they are to thin, go to AutoZone (or whatever local parts store you like) and get the $30 set. Rotors are not much different and there is a big cost difference for getting a Name brand.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:36 AM
StLBrian
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all for the input. I'll plan on checking the thickness this weekend and will probably swap both if need be. To answer one of the earlier posts, I was able to get Mini to replace the fronts at 34,500 just before the service was up...I got lucky and was also able to convince them that the clutch was going so they also replaced it at no cost to me.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For street use, as long as you change axel pairs, and keep the higher grip pads in the front your ok.

Alex

Old 11-23-2010, 08:46 AM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by thulchatt
Probably ok but I would not mix.
Having different pad material could change the brake bias which could impact the overall performance.

This.