Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Installer scraped up my rims - what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:36 AM
wuttuptae
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installer scraped up my rims - what should I do?

I got new tires put on yesterday, and while I was checking the air pressure at the store, I noticed that they scraped up 3 out of 4 of the rims. They said they have a guy who comes and fixes wheels, but it means I have to leave the car with them for a few days. ?? Is this the best I should hope for? Can anyone lend me their experience with something like this?

I just found this MINI2 FAQ. I guess not everyone can change out run-flats? Wish I had known this earlier.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:58 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ideally you want to inspect your car before you leave the shop just in case something like this has happened. If they are offering to fix them for you then that's good news. You can try to speak to the manager/owner and see if they can rush it for you so you won't be without it for too long.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:21 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wuttuptae
I got new tires put on yesterday, and while I was checking the air pressure at the store, I noticed that they scraped up 3 out of 4 of the rims. They said they have a guy who comes and fixes wheels, but it means I have to leave the car with them for a few days. ?? Is this the best I should hope for? Can anyone lend me their experience with something like this?

I just found this MINI2 FAQ. I guess not everyone can change out run-flats? Wish I had known this earlier.
Let them try to fix the wheels. What do you have to lose. If they do a good job great. If they don't then worry about it then.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:26 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
i took mine to a place who assured me they have done many run flat changes (and who also had a great reputuation for doing high end sports cars).

Id let them fix them, but that is bull that it has to be there for days. Most of the good rim repairers can do it on site and within a matter of hours.

Lesson learned I guess. It is probably the best you could hope for, since you caught it late.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 AM
wuttuptae
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
Lesson learned I guess. It is probably the best you could hope for, since you caught it late.
I caught it at the store, when I picked up the car. It was dark, but I showed them what I could see even in the dark. I had them write me up something that said the rims were damaged. I'm supposed to speak to the general manager today about it.

It gets better, too. I wanted to keep my front two tires because they have full tread left on them, and looking at them today in the light, they damaged the old tires too! Whoever removed my tires sucks *****.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:46 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No comment about your tire shop and changer....but as far as fixing the rims, I've had it done before on another car and I was amazed. The guy did it in my work parking lot in around 45 minutes and it looked like brand new again after some stupidity induced scrapeage on my part. They could probably send the guy to you, or at least set up an in shop appointment while you wait.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by wuttuptae
I caught it at the store, when I picked up the car. It was dark, but I showed them what I could see even in the dark. I had them write me up something that said the rims were damaged. I'm supposed to speak to the general manager today about it.

It gets better, too. I wanted to keep my front two tires because they have full tread left on them, and looking at them today in the light, they damaged the old tires too! Whoever removed my tires sucks *****.

oh gotcha. It sounded like you were at a grocery store or something later.

They should get it repaired how you want it id say...you should be able to take it somewhere and send them the invoice

Old 12-08-2010, 12:19 PM
wuttuptae
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
No comment about your tire shop and changer....but as far as fixing the rims, I've had it done before on another car and I was amazed. The guy did it in my work parking lot in around 45 minutes and it looked like brand new again after some stupidity induced scrapeage on my part. They could probably send the guy to you, or at least set up an in shop appointment while you wait.
That is good news! I hope my experience will be just the same.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:48 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
I've found that the majority of places don't treat cars with respect. Once you find a place that does, you stick w/ that place. Even simple things like oil changes or tire rotation seem easy, ..but lot's of place find ways to screw things up.

sorry 'bout your experience.