Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

skidpad on 16 vs. 17?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 12:37 AM
mdavis
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've searched the archives and didn't see any definitive measurements.

I know this topic has been beaten to death though.

I'm planning to place an order for a 2004 MCS DS/DS loaded (everything except PDC and leather) tomorrow

There appear to be lots of indications that the weight of the 17s sucks, but assume I don't care about the weight or the impact to the 0-60. Suppose I only car about grip.

So, we have 195/55R16 vs. 205/45R17. So that's 7.67" vs. 8.07" width. How does that translate to the skidpad?

Also, does the sport package actually change the suspension in any way on the 04?

Thanks, Mark

Old 12-31-2003, 07:18 AM
jazmini
4th Gear
Hey mdavis,
The weight of all the runflats sucks, so 17 will be more than 16. However, with the MCS and that extra power, the weight will not be as critical. I got the MC so for me it is a big factor. Runflats have a very stiff sidewall, which makes the ride harsher. On this site, I've heard many say that hurts performance as softer sidewalls will give better handling. I've also heard a few say that the runflats still provide great handling -- but I think the MINI has great handling no matter what tires you put on it, due to the inherent qualities of the MINI, i.e., tires at the edges and BMW great suspension.

For your question on the suspension, remember that the MCS already comes standard with the upgraded suspension (Sport Suspension Plus), while the MC comes standard with the Sport Suspension and the SS+ is an option. MINI did make a change to the suspension on the late 03's, where they changed the shock oil to a lighter oil to soften the ride a little, due to complaints about the harsh ride. However, I am not sure if this was for both SS and SS+, but I'm sure it was at least for the SS+. Some people were unhappy and expressed that on this site. There have been no other changes to the suspension. I got SS+ in my 2004 MC and I like it, but I don't know what it would have been like before the change.

I don't know about the differences in grip on the skidpad, but suspect that the wider 17s should do better, especially since they are lower profile (45 vs 55), and lower profile tires help with steering feel and responsiveness, i.e., turn quicker.

Old 12-31-2003, 07:25 AM
gowest
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know the answer but it's going to be less a function of size than; All Season vs. Performance or one brand of tire vs. another. Also it might depend on the surface contition of the skidpad: wet vs. dry or bumpy vs. smooth. If it's bumpy I'd bet on the 16's all else being equal. Not even sure why i answered this question. What it shoud come down to for you is, Do you need All Seasons? Is the look of 17's more important than the benefits of 16's in the are of, smoother ride, faster acceleration, and better gas milage?

Old 12-31-2003, 07:53 AM
orbhot
6th Gear
I would bet that the skippad numbers are higher on the 17s, not just because of wider tread, but also because of better tires. IMO the Dunlop runflats that come on the 16" S wheels are NOT great tires. I've swtiched from 195/55 Dunlop SP5000 runflats on 16x6.5 v-spoke to 215/40 Goodyear F1s on 17x7.5 Rota Tarmac wheels that weigh about the same as the 16" v-spokes. I have no skidpad numbers but seat of the pants feel tells me the extra width has done somthing, but the compound of tire has probably made just as much difference.
This may sound like a broken record but, IMO do not order the very heavy s-lites. Go with the stock S wheels and either save your $$ or spend it on aftermarket wheels.
The sport package on the S does not change the suspension. Neither does the JCW.

Visit Sunshine Minis

Old 12-31-2003, 04:03 PM
Veak
2nd Gear

>>Also, does the sport package actually change the suspension in any way on the 04?

No, but it should... IMHO the biggest reason that a lot of people complain about the poor ride with 17" wheels is asking the same shocks to deal with that excess weight. The 17" s-lites are significantly heavier than the 16" x-lites... The same shocks now have to dampen a lot more unsprunng weight, causing a less than optimal ride. To me this, is one of the most over looked aspects of up grading wheels..if they are heavier than the ones you are replacing, your same shocks will be working a lot harder - affecting your ride and handling quality. A shock absorber has a lot o do with keeping the rubber on the road... if the shocks are the same, but the wheel and tire weight is a lot more the shock will have to work harder controlling the rebound...

I agree that the runflat sp5000s on the 16" are not great... but personally I still think the heavier wheels are a bigger problem. The trouble is they look so cool though I got the x-lites...but aethetically I have s-lite envy ops:

Old 01-02-2004, 10:37 AM
jazmini
4th Gear
You make a lot of sense Veak.

Old 01-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Casey
5th Gear
between ordering 16s or 17s direct from factory I believe the springs are different, but the shock absorbers are the same.

Old 03-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Verruckt
4th Gear
>>between ordering 16s or 17s direct from factory I believe the springs are different, but the shock absorbers are the same.

Wait.. the springs are different depending on the size of wheel you ordered? How do they differ?

This is a new one to me!