Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake Job all four,costs? MCS

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:52 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Job all four,costs? MCS

Just checking to see what prices some of you are being told to perform a brake job on all four?

From a local shop that works on European cars quoted me 2K,I feel that is high.

Thinking of buying a kit from a sponsor here,what is the word on the EBC greens or should I look into something else?

Old 12-13-2010, 04:01 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
$2k....

You can do all 4 corners for 1/4 of that.

Call waymotorworks.com and explain what you want, he will help.

- Andrew

Old 12-13-2010, 04:12 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Yeah you can get parts for waaaaaaay less. They are incredibly easy to change as well. only a few bolts.

I guess to pinpoint a price, what year and model?? an 05 justacooper is going to be worlds cheaper than a 09 JCW.

Also depends on how much you may or may not care to upgrade.

Some good pads go a loooong way. Im still burning off the stockers but cant wait to upgrade lol.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:27 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 314 Likes on 237 Posts
Pure OEM from a good dealer:

$534 Rear pads and rotors, exact
$540 Front pads and rotors - I do not have an exact number as other work was done in this case

So a wee bit more than 1k I would think. That includes the labor of course.

Cheers,

Charlie

Last edited by cmt52663; 12-13-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:43 PM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
I agree with ANDYROO. Do it yourself. I did mine with help from local MINI club. I bought this ---
http://www.minicarparts.net/Parts/M3059.cfm
Except with EBC Green stuff pads and stainless steel brake lines. Love em'

Old 12-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1 or 2k? you could do BBKs on front and both for that cost.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:33 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dealer quoted me $880 for pads and rotors on all four corners.

I ended up doing it myself. Even with the tools and supplies I had to buy, it was only $650 and put on some Hawk pads. Got my kit from fastmini.net, though it looks like the prices have gone up since I've done mine.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,208 Likes on 939 Posts
$2K sounds like calipers too...why?

Had a just-a-mini done, all 4 wheels, at the Mini dealer for just over $1K. Had to deal with 7 years of Northeast rust, so it was worth it. The price noted by cmt52663 seems a touch high for just parts but in the ball park.

Don't buy cheap, you are worth more than that. Brakes and tires are the only thing between your car and your life.

BBKs are fine if you are going to throw in new wheels...they won't fit stock wheels.

Most name brand (EBC, Hawk, etc) should be good. But you will find that that Mini parts guys are competative in this area. Also look at Tire Rack. It is easy to price stuff out there if nothing else.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:57 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Yeah 2k is ALOT.

We have Brake packages, but we can also put a kit together for what you need. Also when you order the kit I'll be more than happy to walk you through some tips and tricks to get the job done.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/02-06-c...ndling/brakes/

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 12-13-2010, 07:58 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Just to clarify,I have a 2008 S. I thought estimate was high,that's why I'm asking.

Oops,Now I see I screwed up it is only 1097
Breakdown of their quote

Front parts
Rear parts

labor 199.50 front and 199.50 rear totaling 1097

Old 12-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Not far off Way's price for the parts, if you want to do it your self, go with Way. I would skip the SS brake lines if your car is just a driver (not track or the like). Save a bit there. But a couple of hours labor each end may be worth having your shop do it. About the same as my dealer. Your call.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:21 AM
silkcut
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Same here. Took the car in for service and the dealer quoted approximately $1200 for a complete brake job, front and rear. ( 2007 MCS)
According to the service rep, the computer is showing about 1000 miles left on the brakes. ( I didn't realize the sensor was a variable resistor) I don't have the brake warning indicator at this time.

A few questions though:
Do these cars really require the rotors to be replaced with the pads? As someone that used to do brakes, wheels, tires and suspension to make $$$ during college,that seems a little excessive to me.
When I replace the sensors will the computer automatically update the approximate mileage remaining?
What is the correct tool for the rear brakes to wind them in?
I haven't been happy with the brake dust from OEM pads, but the car was still under warranty so I left them alone. It's out of warranty now, so any suggestions as to aftermarket pads, and rotors also, would be appreciated.

Apologies for jumping on the thread.

Mike

Old 12-15-2010, 06:03 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike,

wrt to the computer showing 1,000 miles, is that until recommended service? Or what is left on the brakes? When my sensor went off, I was able to drive about 9,000 miles before finally replacing the brakes and there was still a little life in them if I had needed to push on. The sensor is a variable sensor though. With mine, I started getting a mileage countdown in yellow upon startup. However, when the sensor actually tripped, the brake warning just turned to red and stayed that way and I got a service message.

My understanding is the OEM rotors are pretty thin to start with. Can't speak to whether it is absolutely necessary and seems I've seen people posting about changing both and some using a strategy of rotors every other set of brake pads.

When the sensors are replaced, the OBC does have to be reset using the reset procedure. It does not happen automatically.

I ordered a Harbor Freight kit to wind in the rear pistons. There are many people though who have figured out how to do it with standard tools.

I have been extremely pleased with the dust (or lack thereof) from the Hawk pads I installed. What dust there is, is a very light color. From posts, it seems like just about any of the aftermarket pads - Hawk, EBC, Carbotech, etc. - are much lower dust than the MINI pads. So you probably can't go wrong with any of them as far as dust reduction.

Last edited by jcauseyfd; 12-15-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Fixed error
Old 12-15-2010, 11:39 AM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I paid $750 CDN(installed and taxes included) Front Rotors, front and rear pads, brake sensors.

Done at MINI Yaletown in Vancouver.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:05 PM
silkcut
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Mike,

wrt to the computer showing 1,000 miles, is that until recommended service? Or what is left on the brakes?

I have been extremely pleased with the dust (or lack thereof) from the Hawk pads I installed. What dust there is, is a very light color. From posts, it seems like just about any of the aftermarket pads - Hawk, EBC, Carbotech, etc. - are much lower dust than the MINI pads. So you probably can't go wrong with any of them as far as dust reduction.
According to the service rep, that is what is left on the brakes. I'm not buying into it completely.
I'm going to use this to switch to the EBC Greenstuff pads. I'll change the rotors out so that everything breaks in together and will be more or less on the same interval and I have a known starting condition.

I have the Webspokes for summer wheels and that brake dust was a pain to get off those rims completely. Hopefully the EBC's will clean up easier.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
The rotors come with a min thickness stamped on them. If you can read it and measure it you might be able to get away without replacing them when you do the pads. But then you will have to remember to measure them every once and a while so they don't become to thin before the pads wear out. Seems the smartest thing to do is replace the rotors and not worry about it. You will probably find that the rotors are almost gone when the pads are gone anyway.

The rear caliper piston has a slot in it for a REALLY fat screwdriver. By far the best thing to do is get the Harbor Freight brake caliper kit. It comes with the tool for this and compressing the front calipers. However, if you are like me and think that you have something in your tool box that can do this: try a pair of pliers that have a thin nose. Open them up slightly and engage the slot with the nose. While pushing down on the handles turn the piston to screw it in. OK, so it is not pretty and you are likely pinch your fingers when the pliers slip and you gouge the piston...but it works Ya, just buy the harbor freight tool

Old 12-25-2010, 03:59 PM
minhi
2nd Gear
i have a 2002 mcs and just paid $600 for all 4 rotors and pads (my local shop is actually fastmini.net) that's not OEM parts, so add some on top for that.

for a later model you need probably need the sensors, which adds i think $150

so maybe around $1000 for OEM parts and an aftermarket shop? remember MINI dealer service rates are high per hour for labor.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:05 AM
silkcut
3rd Gear
Just an update.

I did the brakes on Christmas eve, and they took about 3 hours working off the floor with the car on 4 jackstands. It was also 26 degrees and I had heavy clothes on.
The hardest part was replacing that rear sensor. What a pain! The connector was tie wrapped to the mounting block and the suspension sensor. I thought I was going to have to get the 8 year old next door to get his arm in there for me. Everything else was extremely straightaway and easy.
It wouldn't take me more than an hour to do this whole job with the car on a lift.

I installed EBC GreenStuff pads, sensors, and Zimmerman solid rotors, fronts and rears, from WayMotorWorks.
Total cost, including the Harbor Freight tool set. $540.00.