Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Beware of Dunlop

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Nrob
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beware of Dunlop

Last April after I bought new wheels I needed new tires to go along with them, after quite a bit of research on this site and tire rack I went with the Dunlop SP Sport Signatures. I was really pleased with the tire, it was tons better than the dreadful runflats I drove on for 10,000 miles. I rotated them every 3,000 miles at home, I could've had it done at the Autotire where I had them installed for free but I take off the wheels and wax them, and auto tire obviously doesn't do that.

However the other day I noticed they were already starting to go bald! After only 10,000 miles. And no I don't drive like a maniac or take them to the track. The fronts were worse but the backs were getting there too. So I went back to auto tire and wanted to have them replaced under warranty. Well first of all the man behind the counter said, I don't believe that you have ever rotated them, we offer it for free and we have no record of you doing it. I told him I have my own records in a notebook in my glove compartment, and pictures of each time I rotated them. Also I'm pretty sure you won't wax my wheels so I do it my self. He said well that is besides the point because those tires don't have a tread warranty. I said I thought it was 60,000 miles or something like that. He said no, not on a performance tire. And then he went on to try and sell me some new ones.

I'm very frustrated, but come to find out, he is right, according to tire rack they really don't have a warranty. It says 6 Years / 60,000 Miles (Applies to H & V-Rated)
None W & Y-Rated

And apparently I have the W rated tire. I was unaware of this, and didn't even no what it meant. Until I looked it up. This is really just a rant but, for anyone else who didn't realize the 60,000 mile warranty didn't apply to them this might help. Also, is there anything else I can do? I don't see what else could be done sense there is simply no warranty, and the old man didn't believe I had even rotated them. UGH!! Sorry this was so long

Old 12-15-2010, 02:49 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
So the real moral of the story is to be a good consumer and pay attention to what you're buying, right?

All you can do now is buy some new tires - you used those up and there's no way to get the tread back once it's gone.

So, what are you going to get this time? You'll see a real trade off in performance if you go from these to an actual 60K tread life tire....

Do your homework, and talk to Alex at Tire Rack for some informed input.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Keyser_Soze
3rd Gear
Lesson learned... If you want hi-mileage tires + performance, you have to shop for that match... High performance tires are constructed from softer compounds with higher adhesion (better grip)... They wear out much faster than standard street tires... I wear out Pirellis, Yokohamas and Continentals in about 10 - 12 thousand miles...

Old 12-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Nrob
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
So the real moral of the story is to be a good consumer and pay attention to what you're buying, right?

All you can do now is buy some new tires - you used those up and there's no way to get the tread back once it's gone.

So, what are you going to get this time? You'll see a real trade off in performance if you go from these to an actual 60K tread life tire....

Do your homework, and talk to Alex at Tire Rack for some informed input.
NO your missing the point, I never asked for the W rated tires, I wanted the ones with the 60,000 mile warranty. But there is no way autotire can prove that.

I just remembered why I never get on this site any more, instead of getting a helpful reply I get someone being rude.

I DID talk to Alex from tire rack by the way, he recommended them! I DID my homework on this site and the Dunlop seemed to have many good reviews.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:21 PM
silkcut
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Breathe a little bit bro'. No one is being rude.
We've all made mistakes at one time or another buying tires. The devil is in the details. I have 4 tires in my garage loft that have the wrong ply rating for towing. It was an expensive lesson for me also. I can't even use them for daily driving due to the sidewall stiffness.
At this point, unfortunately, it's going to just be a learning experience. If you were truly happy with the tire, get the V rated version. Dunlop makes very good tires.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:54 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did a quick WEB search and most of the review sites that I have pulled up had someone complaining about fast tread wear. As stated, if you buy performance tires they will wear quickly.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:09 PM
steve20607
3rd Gear
Definite misunderstandings here and things lost in the translation from Tire Rack advice to buying at another place, not to put down anyone or any place.

It should have spelled clearly on the final invoice or receipt what the warranty covers in terms of the mileage. Had you seen the 10,000 mile tread life warranty before driving off, I would have questioned it.

You might have a case if it's NOT stated in writing on your receipt of how many miles are covered, but if it's there, well, it's truly not the tire store's fault.

Yes, there are enough differences between the W, V and Y and Z tire ratings, as already mentioned.

Check out the Dunlop Direzza's, good quiet tire, 20K and still looking pretty darn good, pumped at 38 lbs.

Last edited by steve20607; 12-15-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:04 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I fail to see why anyone should "beware of Dunlop".

Old 12-16-2010, 12:05 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
I fail to see why anyone should "beware of Dunlop".
+1

Simple to check the fine print on the warranty-

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....re+%28H%26V%29

Which clearly states what to ask for and look out for.

Dunlop SP Sport Signature is a High Performance All Season tire
440 treadwear less than $100 per tire
limited sizes for the MINI, just 205/55-16

Reviews
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....re+%28H%26V%29

An alternative tire would be-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....6ENV&tab=Specs
Warranty is OK
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....6ENV&tab=Specs

Live and learn.