Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Couple of Rim questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:00 AM
spanglersplace
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of Rim questions

I just bout my 08 Mini Clubman S last week and it is still under warranty till Mid April. I noticed that one of the rims is flaking the original coating off and its is about the size of 2"x2" section, its the only rim and it is on the inside of the rim where is was not from getting hit by something, will Mini cover this? Also, I noticed all my wheel mounts, where the middle of the rim rest flat against the mount are rusting and looks bad, any suggestions? Thanks

Old 01-16-2011, 12:05 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
I doubt theyll replace a wheel, or refinish, but you could ask.

The previous owner or dealer could ahve really used some rough chemicals over the life span.

The part the wheel sits against is the brake disk. You can take it off and paint it with high temp paint....Most disks are coated with a coating that seems to last a while (mine still look stock grey with 49K miles)... I may attribute your rust to the chemicals as well...would strip the coating/paint on them.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:37 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by spanglersplace
I just bout my 08 Mini Clubman S last week and it is still under warranty till Mid April. I noticed that one of the rims is flaking the original coating off and its is about the size of 2"x2" section, its the only rim and it is on the inside of the rim where is was not from getting hit by something, will Mini cover this? Also, I noticed all my wheel mounts, where the middle of the rim rest flat against the mount are rusting and looks bad, any suggestions? Thanks
Take it back and point it out and see what they say. Ask if it could be repaired as a one time covered repair since you just bought it. Ask to have a manager review your request if it is denied. Tell them you are a "loyal and enthusiastic" MINI owner.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:10 PM
spanglersplace
1st Gear
I will certainly try, thanks.

I am also curious, what does mini say is the recommended oil change time, I am so new to this, but I heard it was 10,000, but I am use to doing it every 3500 with my old car, now I hear they can go longer and it cost more if I get it done, so I want to make sure I do it right, the nearest mini dealer is 1 1/2 hours away or I can go to the local bmw dealer too I guess. I am assuming they don't use normal oil either...

GOD I luv my mini though!!!!!!!!

Old 01-16-2011, 03:54 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Youll find varying opinions but generally 5-6K (sometimes 7500) miles.

Ive done every 6 personally.

You can buy certain Euro-spec synthetics at parts stores (Ive been using Mobil1 0w-40 European Formula), and order filters online pretty cheaply, and DIY. Very very simple to change

Old 01-16-2011, 04:17 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by spanglersplace
I will certainly try, thanks.

I am also curious, what does mini say is the recommended oil change time, I am so new to this, but I heard it was 10,000, but I am use to doing it every 3500 with my old car, now I hear they can go longer and it cost more if I get it done, so I want to make sure I do it right, the nearest mini dealer is 1 1/2 hours away or I can go to the local bmw dealer too I guess. I am assuming they don't use normal oil either...

GOD I luv my mini though!!!!!!!!
The MINI will have an onboard computer look at the way you drive and determine the recommended oil change interval which will vary for every MINI. Typically it will not be much less than about 10-12K miles for many owners.

Your old car was what? More than 10 years old with basic non synthetic oil? If so then 3000 to 4000 miles is OK and likely you had no built in oil change indicator but many GM cars had it for years and all the new cars have it these days.

Non synthetic oil is very cheap so materials are minimal hence oil change for basic cars is $20-35. Fully synthetic oil is relative costly unless you buy in bulk and about $30 just for the oil alone. The higher cost of oil change for MINI and BMW is due to the higher cost of materials both retail oil filter cost and oil plus dealer labor cost which is posted in the shop area.

The MINI always uses fully synthetic oil so you can leave it in longer than with standard oil. If you change oil twice as often as MINI suggests or about 5000-6000 miles you will be fine.

You can do it yourself, have a garage do it but buy the parts and oil yourself or take it to the BMW dealership but labor cost is very high. Just keep all the receipts. Once a year if you like you can take the MINI to your MINI service center.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:27 PM
spanglersplace
1st Gear
Mini dealer just told me 15-20000, seems kinda high???

Old 01-17-2011, 03:29 PM
spanglersplace
1st Gear
Also, I am looking for the best Mini Cooper club to join that is nationally respected, would that be this place or are their others? Also, what is the best place to find mini parts, I was thinking maybe something like the side markers on the side that maybe say turbo or supercharged, is there such?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:42 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Outmotoring.com

You have a turbo, not a supercharger FYI

and yes the oil change increment is horrible

Old 01-17-2011, 04:39 PM
spanglersplace
1st Gear
Thank you, sorry I am such a newbie to this whole thing, wanted one for years and finally got it and I luv it, I did not realize how important that sport button is too, it really makes a difference, I wonder why people jsut don't use it all the time????

So, 15-20000 miles is probably to much even though Mini recommends it? Do you know if they make a side marker for both sides that instead of the S, says something like turbo? I wonder what it would take to make it into a supercharged version, lol

Thanks for all your help, you are so knowledgable and your mini is totally awesome by the way!!