Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Options for 16" All-Season Runflats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:35 PM
sarafil
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Options for 16" All-Season Runflats?

I need some new tires and unfortunately it looks like the stock Conti runflats are on backorder for several months. I need to stick with runflats and want an all-season tire in 195/55R16 size... what are my options?

Tirerack lists several other tires in that size, but they are all "Grand Touring Summer" or "High Performance Summer" -- the Conti is the only one labeled an "All Season" tire.

Is there anything else available right now?

Help?!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
I just replicated your findings at TR. They don't have what you're looking for in 205/50/16 or 205/55/16 either. Hard times for A/S RFT fans. Maybe now's the time to give serious thought to coming over to the dark side.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:11 PM
sarafil
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
I just replicated your findings at TR. They don't have what you're looking for in 205/50/16 or 205/55/16 either. Hard times for A/S RFT fans. Maybe now's the time to give serious thought to coming over to the dark side.
Hi Jim. Unfortunately, it's not an option. My car is leased and I need to turn it in with runflats. I am not going to buy a new set of non-runflats now and then also pay the penalty for not having runflats at lease-end. Plus, I'm not going to drive a car on regular tires without a spare tire. I am going to wait a week or two to see if anything changes (or maybe look for a set of take-offs), otherwise I'll just put a set of summer runflats and just avoid snow for the next few months.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, snow is SO over rated...

Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Avoiding snow in Boston would be a good trick.

No luck at Discount Tire Direct either. Some possibilities popped up when I googled "all season runflats in size 195/55/16", but I didn't take the time to check out any of them.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 AM
MINI*8R
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sarafil
I need some new tires and unfortunately it looks like the stock Conti runflats are on backorder for several months. I need to stick with runflats and want an all-season tire in 195/55R16 size... what are my options?

Tirerack lists several other tires in that size, but they are all "Grand Touring Summer" or "High Performance Summer" -- the Conti is the only one labeled an "All Season" tire.

Is there anything else available right now?

Help?!
It's a bummer you are on the east coast because I want to turn in my Conti's with 750 miles for a set of Yoko Envigors. We could certainly deal nicely. However, you might want to look at the Envigors and just buy a small Slime kit and DynaPlugs for tire repair.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 AM
sarafil
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fun_driver
It's a bummer you are on the east coast because I want to turn in my Conti's with 750 miles for a set of Yoko Envigors. We could certainly deal nicely. However, you might want to look at the Envigors and just buy a small Slime kit and DynaPlugs for tire repair.
Thanks, but I can not put non-runflats on the car. If I have to pay the penalty to MINI for not having the right tires on the car, I might as well save the money and not buy any tires. I know I can get a few thousand more miles out of the ones I have if I nurse it. Buying non-runflats will basically be like taking money out of my wallet and lighting it on fire, since I will end up paying the same penalty at the end that I would pay for turning it in with bald original tires.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 AM
MINI*8R
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sarafil
Thanks, but I can not put non-runflats on the car. If I have to pay the penalty to MINI for not having the right tires on the car, I might as well save the money and not buy any tires. I know I can get a few thousand more miles out of the ones I have if I nurse it. Buying non-runflats will basically be like taking money out of my wallet and lighting it on fire, since I will end up paying the same penalty at the end that I would pay for turning it in with bald original tires.
I understand! It's too bad they are so strict on something that they will probably just change out anyway.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 PM
isthar
5th Gear
Hey sarafil? I'm in Boston... Would it help you if indeed you would take my runflats in exchange for no Rfs? I might be convinced... Id have to think about it... Mine are the stock 16 RFs w 7K miles on them just about

Old 01-19-2011, 06:25 PM
sarafil
4th Gear
Originally Posted by isthar
Hey sarafil? I'm in Boston... Would it help you if indeed you would take my runflats in exchange for no Rfs? I might be convinced... Id have to think about it... Mine are the stock 16 RFs w 7K miles on them just about
I'm not in a huge rush, but probably should do something within the next month. I don't have any tires to exchange, but if you do buy non-runflats and want to sell your original runflats let me know.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:01 PM
InTheHood
Neutral
I'm also in Boston and this situation has persisted for months. I had a near blow-out on an all-season run-flat on I-95 over Thanksgiving. The inner sidewall shredded, but I managed to nurse it about 5 miles to a tire retailer. They had nothing in stock (of course) but they agreed to install a pair of non run-flats and do a full-credit swap for the correct tires after the holiday.

Only problem: As you report, there are no 16" all season run-flats available in any brand, period. Sticking with the temporary solution wasn't going to work, so I reluctantly sucked it up and put on four expensive run-flat snows. Now my plan is to get a set of run-flat all-seasons mounted on a set of cheapish wheels come Spring and then swap back and forth for a few winters so that I can amortize the expensive snows a bit. Obviously all season run flats represent a double compromise, but with an S in Boston there isn't a great alternative. In the city, storage and swapping is a hassle. All-seasons aren't perfect but they are better than getting caught in a freakish April snowstorm with summer performance tires. Or riding these snows into May.

When I compare my Mini in terms of tire cost and hassle to my previous Mustang, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Every shop carried the Mustang tire size, I had a donut so I didn't need the runflats or a can of goo, the tires lasted 2.5x as long, cost half as much, and rode better. My experience over Thanksgiving also called into question the bullish claims about run-flat safety. Best of all, when I owned the Mustang I didn't need to cross my fingers that the backorder would clear by March. The whole tire set-up on the Cooper S is an Epic Fail by BMW.