Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

New Continental EC DWS for our baby!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:01 PM
VMCMDN
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Continental EC DWS for our baby!!

Let's start a couple days ago, January 17 at around 9 in the evening, we are driving from LAX back home after dropping off a relative and we miss the Sepulveda South exit and end up going North for a while before we can make a U-turn. We make a U-turn right after the In-N-Out and bamm! we hit a pothole the size of Texas in the center lane... and we get a low tire warning sign... we went back just to see the culprit again and to take a pic..

not only did we get a flat, but it also bent our wheel

we then decide to drive it home, at 50mph just like the manual says... and about 2 miles before our exit the damn tire starts to make noise so we exit and call a tow truck before it starts to tear apart. Tow truck company still takes an hour to get there and they end up scratching the black trim under the front bumper... so never have your MINI towed from City Wide Towing because all they will tell you is "that's normal, cars always get scratched in driveways" and they will offer to paint it. So we finally have our baby home around 1 in the morning.

Tuesday I go to tire rack and check around for a set of Contis EC DWS but they are on national back order and wont be in stock till March so I start to look at other tires... but still not convinced and decide to wait.

Wednesday I check again on Tire Rack and they actually show that they expect to have them in stock that same day at their Delaware location, we hit the Jackpot! I place the order and sure enough they ship out the same day awesome!

They arrived this past Tuesday at one of Tire Rack's preferred installers and now our baby has new shoes.

One of my friend's co-workers has an 03 Justa and he was kind enough to lend us his spare tire so we were able to drive it to the installer.

Last edited by VMCMDN; 01-28-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:12 AM
ufomini
4th Gear
I love my Conti DWS'S. Very comfortable tire that gets around during any weather condition!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Dark Knight
3rd Gear
Just got some of those last week from Tire Rack for my wife's Clubman. They are awesome in in the snow. The run-flats we had were past their usage.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:43 AM
MaybeMCSC
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So how much did a replacement wheel set you back?!?!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:03 PM
VMCMDN
4th Gear
we haven't replaced it yet, we are gonna see if we can get it fixed first if not then it's $340.00 for a new one ouch!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
I just got a set of 205/50/16's DW's last week and so far loving them. VMCMDN you live in SoCal why DWS's?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:43 PM
VMCMDN
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rossii
I just got a set of 205/50/16's DW's last week and so far loving them. VMCMDN you live in SoCal why DWS's?
because they are $100 more expensive and still on back order

Old 01-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Huh? You were going to get the DW but got the DWS because DW's were on back order?

Old 01-28-2011, 03:07 PM
VMCMDN
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rossii
Huh? You were going to get the DW but got the DWS because DW's were on back order?
Never said we were gonna get the DW's, I considered them but that fact made my decision easier.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:12 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I ran into a pot hole and replaced my 5,000 mile old factory runflats on the front with the Conti EC DWS. I didn't want to use all of my trip money at the time or I would have gotten them all around. I really liked those tires but I probably won't get them again since I decided to not do any snow driving with them and mostly do dry and a little bit of wet. Still, I highly recommend these tires. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2011, 04:53 PM
isthar
5th Gear
How fast were you going? The pot hole doesn't look as bad as some we get around here, And i think once I hit one that everyone in the car went "AWWWWWW man!!!" but... I've noticed nothing wrong. R112s and crown spokes w run flats each time.

I keep hoping the BAM is more the run flats than the actual pot hole size...

Old 01-30-2011, 08:18 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
The pot hole I ran into wasn't as big as the images posted above and it was in the right side of the lane of I-25 somewhere north of Las Vegas, New Mexico. I was doing about 75 mph looking down at my handheld GPS then whammo! I got out and saw that I had a bubble on my sidewall. Because I was going to do some spirited motoring at MITM/MTTS, I wanted to get a new tire or new tires which I did. Sidenote, I even got an alignment right after the tires were installed. After I spent the night at my dad's house in Woodland Park, Co, I ran up highway 67 towards Winter Park. A wonderful highway to test out the new treads. I gained a lot of confidence as well as performance, less road noise, and nicer ride. Another sidenote, motor 67 north from Woodland Park and you won't be sorry!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 AM
unxpectederror
3rd Gear
i have these tires .. i got the 215/45/17... they look much better then a 205 tire imho. these things handle amazingly well and are basically the best all round all season tire out there. i live in the northeast and we have had a lot of snow lately and these things handle like a champ in the snow. i havent had a all season tire that was better in the rain or snow then these tires.

you made a good choice even if you dont get snow... you cant beat these tires for the money.