Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire won't fill properly??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:01 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire won't fill properly??

So I stopped for my monthly air pressure check and fill up on the way to work today, and when it came time to fill the tires, I noticed one of the tires would not take any air from the pump. All 3 other tires filled fine, so I am pretty sure that there were no issues with the air pump. I went back to the first tire, and the tire would still not fill no matter how many times I tried. I repositioned the pump valve every which way. No effect. And the metal part which usually ejects to indicate that the pump is positioned properly, never ejected. Like I mentioned, all the other tires filled fine, so I really don't think the issue was ME. Has anybody ever had this problem? I am going to try at another station after lunch, but I am worried there is something wrong with the valve stem and that I will need to have the tire looked at by my local dealer.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:25 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would just pull into a Discount Tire or such and they will look at it for free most likely.

Hope you are using a quality air gage to check the pressure, never trust the station built it gage, if that what you mean by the metal part that ejects.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
Hi there MCS Fever-

I have my own quality tire pressure guage. Thanks. The thing I was trying to describe, and obviously failing terribly, is the metal "stick" that ejects from the base of the air pump itself, right where you attach the pump to your valve stem. For some reason, the pump did not seem to be attaching to my tire valve properly, and the metal stick did not eject, as it usually should. (normally it ejects, indicating that the air pump is engaged properly and ready to fill).

Well, anyway, i stopped at my MINI dealer and all is well. They took my car right away, and had a look for no charge. The service guy said that sometimes the valve stem does indeed get bent by old air pumps at gas stations, so he said it was good for me to have brought the car in. They filled the tire with air (and I checked the pressure before I left the lot), and checked for leaks. I am sure the guy thought I was a an idiot for having brought my car in for such a minor issue, but at least he did not make me feel that way.

I was a little concerned also because we just did a tire rotation 2 weeks ago, and I was afraid we screwed something up. (You may remember helping me out on that thread). I guess it is better to be safe than sorry since I have a road trip with the kids tomorrow.

thanks again!

Old 01-28-2011, 10:29 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 210 Likes on 173 Posts
I've had a rubber washer in a metal valve stem cap cut and push itself into the valve stem, thereby preventing air entering the tire.
I probably tightened the cap too much.
It was fine after I removed the little donut of rubber from the stem with a tiny screwdriver.

Last edited by cristo; 01-28-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:43 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
That is really helpful to know! I will be sure to check my valve stem cap after I get home. I sometimes tighten my caps pretty tight because I didn't want the checkerboard stem caps to fall off. . . I would have never thought that tightening the cap too tight could cause a problem.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:32 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's called an O-ring and MINI has them in the caps as well many newer rigs, my 2008 GMC truck does. I would say it's like an oil filter, really only needs 1/4 to 1/2 turn after it's seated. Acts as a secondary seal and a lock washer to boot, so overtightening is certainly not needed.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:21 PM
wpb mini
5th Gear
okey dokey! thanks for the tip, MCS Fever and cristo.