Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

General Exclaim, Nitto NeoGen, Fuzion ZRI

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
General Exclaim, Nitto NeoGen, Fuzion ZRI

Before anyone berates me about the search button, I have read some threads about this subject, primarily the Generals, but they are all 5-7 years old, so I was hoping there will be more people riding on these to give some input.

My two primary criteria are handling and weight. I do not care about a smooth ride, and since I have a set of dedicated winters and do not put a ton of miles on my MINI, quick wearing is not a big concern either. Until I can find a set of light wheels for cheap, I have 22lb wheels so a light weight tire is very appealing, but if the handling will be atrocious and squishy it's not worth the trade. I primarily drive in town/short highway trips but I do burn up the twisties on the weekends.

I'd like to keep it around or under $100/tire. I'm looking at both TireRack and Discount Tire Direct. The front runners right now are:

General Exclaim UHP
Nitto NeoGen
Fuzion ZRI

I'm leaning towards 205/50/16 but 205/45/16 is a possibility since I've been considering putting lowering springs on the car next year.

Anyone who's using these tires, I'd love to hear how they are working out for you, and what kind of driving you do. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Achilless
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only have experience with the nitto neogens, they are a great cheap tire that is grippy in the rain as well. I will buy nitto neogens again in the future

Old 02-01-2011, 09:51 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Another Neo Gen owner, decent tire for the money, a little noisy but not annoyingly so and grippy. No info on th eothers, sounds like they're not that popular any more...

One thing I didn't understand in your post, you may be putting lowering springs on your car, and if so you'll get the smaller aspect ratio tire but the same width? So, if you lower it you'll get an even smaller diameter, rougher riding tire? Do you see what I'm saying?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Thanks for the input guys! I'm having a hard time finding weight specs on these, they don't seem to be listed on their website.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Another Neo Gen owner, decent tire for the money, a little noisy but not annoyingly so and grippy. No info on th eothers, sounds like they're not that popular any more...

One thing I didn't understand in your post, you may be putting lowering springs on your car, and if so you'll get the smaller aspect ratio tir. e but the same width? So, if you lower it you'll get an even smaller diameter, rougher riding tire? Do you see what I'm saying?
Sorry I missed the second half of your post there. I think I see your point. I was just thinking that pre-lowering, the gap might be too big with a 205/45, but if I do end up lowering a bit in the future it wouldn't look so silly. I am not really worried about the rough ride, and a 45 I imagine would have a stiffer sidewall than a 50, which is one concern I had with the General UHP, a soft sidewall. I'd rather have a stiff sidewall.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
I have the generals....been a good tire...but they feel a bit "softer" sidewalk wise than I think you are looking for. I have been happy with them, but nitto's will likly be my next set....

Old 02-01-2011, 06:41 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Thanks, that seems to be the general consensus! The nittos are well reviewed but at the moment I am leaning towards the Fuzion ZRi based on a zillion reviews I have slogged through, it sounds like they perform well and are a bit stiffer than the Generals and are a dedicated Summer as opposed to the Nittos. This is the first time I've had to buy a set of tires outside of my Winters and it is pretty overwhelming. So many options! Hopefully someone who's had some miles on the Fuzions can give me some feedback.