Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Goodbye Run Flats

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 PM
caffeinewired
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep. I opted for the Pirellis today, it was 100 bucks cheaper than the Goodyears which was 280 bucks if I get it from the local tire shop, and that's not including the sweet CA tax too...

Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 PM
fallen02
1st Gear
Got new Brigstone EP 100 and they are great. I only have 15k on my old set of contenentals and I will never do run flats again.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:19 AM
shrimpy
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone tried "Ride-On"? Great product,
It will balance and seal. Been using it in Motorcycle tires for years and no negitive issues.
http://www.ride-on.com/

This willl be my solution to getting rid of the run flats when they wear out.

Standard Disclaimer: Not affiliated etc.............

Old 02-17-2011, 08:26 AM
sequin
3rd Gear
I ditched my run flats at 12k miles, which was a year ago. I put on a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS after reading the good reviews on Tire Rack. Funny thing is that I swore I'd never ever buy Conti's after having had them as OEM's on two BMW's and my son's Cooper. Of course, the OEM tires were some other type of Conti, but still.

I've been very happy with the DWS tires (after 6k miles) and would gladly buy them again. Kind of hated to go to all-season tires, but I drive the MINI in all types of weather and feel better with all-seasons.

I carry a slime + air compressor kit in the boot, down in the wheel well where a spare tire would go (I have a Clubman S, which of course has the spare tire well, but I don't want to fool with having a spare).

Old 02-18-2011, 07:22 AM
Moxie D
1st Gear
It's official...Moxie is up and running in her new Hankooks! Took her out for a spin last night and headed back out today. The ride is SO unbelievably different.....smooth, steering is right on, feels more stable...... the list goes on, but only time will tell. So happy though I'm attaching a couple of images I took of her last night

Motor On Peeps!

Attached Thumbnails Goodbye Run Flats-_dsc7908.jpg   Goodbye Run Flats-_dsc7939.jpg   Goodbye Run Flats-_dsc7900.jpg  
Old 03-04-2011, 07:02 PM
FormerHummer
2nd Gear
Yokohamas and a MINI Donut Tire

Hi,
Thanks to some smart people on this forum and a little safety nudge from my tire guy at Big O Tires in Phoenix . . . I am ditching my run-flats and getting some sweet Yokohama AVID ENVigors, AND I've ordered a MINI donut from Detroittuned.com for $110 (MINI USA charges $250!)

You can even get a cover for it at njbaglady.com. I'm going to put the tire in my trunk.

I toyed with the idea of slime and I do have AAA, but this will give me the peace of mind I need on long trips--or anywhere.

Enjoy!

Paula

Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 PM
zappafan
Neutral
Originally Posted by FormerHummer
You can even get a cover for it at njbaglady.com. I'm going to put the tire in my trunk.
Don't forget to pack a large garbage bag to put your flat (and dirty) tyre in when you've changed it. Saves a lot of cleaning...

Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 PM
FormerHummer
2nd Gear
Smart, smart!!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:11 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ditching the run flats was the best move I ever made. Flats have not been an issue. Leaks are rare, usually slow, and detected by TPMS so iget them fixed.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:11 PM
FormerHummer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Moxie D
It's official...Moxie is up and running in her new Hankooks! Took her out for a spin last night and headed back out today. The ride is SO unbelievably different.....smooth, steering is right on, feels more stable...... the list goes on, but only time will tell. So happy though I'm attaching a couple of images I took of her last night

Motor On Peeps!
Love the pics!!

Old 03-05-2011, 08:49 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Got rid of my RFTs today. The car rides so much better now. I should've listened to the posts here in NAM before. Saved me $$$ too. Now I just gotta get some slime, air compressor and triple AAA!

Old 03-05-2011, 09:09 PM
FormerHummer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBOL
Got rid of my RFTs today. The car rides so much better now. I should've listened to the posts here in NAM before. Saved me $$$ too. Now I just gotta get some slime, air compressor and triple AAA!
Congrats, me too! I've ordered a MINI donut from Detroittuned.com for $110 (MINI USA charges $250!)

I toyed with the idea of slime and I do have AAA, but this will give me the peace of mind I need on long trips--or anywhere.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Moxie D
1st Gear
Hi,
Thanks to some smart people on this forum and a little safety nudge from my tire guy at Big O Tires in Phoenix . . . I am ditching my run-flats
Congrats Paula!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:18 AM
minicoclub
2nd Gear
that was the best thing u did. Runflats make too much nosie

Old 03-07-2011, 01:32 PM
AAONMS
2nd Gear
Dunlop SP SPORT 01 tires replaced today with Continental Extreme Contact DW.
Had it done during lunch so only have 4 miles on the new tires so no impressions yet.
Three of the four TPMS self-reset on the ride back to work, I’ll try the manual method on the ride home if the fourth one doesn’t fall into line.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:41 PM
FormerHummer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AAONMS
Dunlop SP SPORT 01 tires replaced today with Continental Extreme Contact DW.
Had it done during lunch so only have 4 miles on the new tires so no impressions yet.
Three of the four TPMS self-reset on the ride back to work, I’ll try the manual method on the ride home if the fourth one doesn’t fall into line.
Howdy! That's interesting about the TPMS. Even though I drove about 4 miles to the shop, my light didn't come on until AFTER I had the alignment done and the bushings replaced. I pressed the button and they eventually reset--well, the light went out so I'm assuming they reset!

And congrats on your new tires!!!

Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 AM
FamilyMan
3rd Gear
Has anyone gotten anything "official" from Mini regarding the new TPMS and the use of Slime or Fix-a-Flat?

And does anyone know what it would cost to repair/replace a current generation TPMS in the event it were damaged by the use of Slime or Fix-a-Flat?

I haven't gotten my car yet but I did notice that it was more than a little harsh when I hit a pothole on a test drive so you have me considering dumping the run flats before too long. I just want to understand the potential risks and costs associated with making the switch before I make any decisions.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Jahnnie
1st Gear
i have dunlop spt d9000 (i think thats the name) but it does not say "runflat" on them. are all runflats supposed to indicate this?

Old 03-11-2011, 02:36 PM
FormerHummer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by FamilyMan
Has anyone gotten anything "official" from Mini regarding the new TPMS and the use of Slime or Fix-a-Flat?

And does anyone know what it would cost to repair/replace a current generation TPMS in the event it were damaged by the use of Slime or Fix-a-Flat?

I haven't gotten my car yet but I did notice that it was more than a little harsh when I hit a pothole on a test drive so you have me considering dumping the run flats before too long. I just want to understand the potential risks and costs associated with making the switch before I make any decisions.
Hi, FM!

First, congrats on the anticipation of your new MINI! Second, even though I have an older MINI and don't have to worry about slime possibly interferring with TPMS, I opted to carry a MINI donut in the trunk. I bought it from Detroittuned.com. They make them in all sizes for all MINI years. I just recently switched to non-run flats (Yokohama AVID ENVigors) and am just sorry I didn't do it sooner. Now that I've switched, I have found that the ONLY perk to the run-flats is that they are a bit more responsive to tiny movements of the steering wheel. My new tires are a little softer, so there is a bit more play--but I knew that going in. After almost 5 years buying (and replacing) expensive, noisey, hard-riding run flats, I wish I had done it sooner. Every time I picked up a nail, I had to buy a new tire because the dealers won't repair them. The dealer also kept telling me that I couldn't switch to normal tires because "the MINI rims are made ONLY for run flats." LIE. They just wanted me to keep buying expensive tires from them.

See what you think. However, I would wear out the run flats first, then when the time comes, switch them out if you really don't like them.

You've got lots of choices!

Old 03-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Tomas_siba
3rd Gear
i got rid of mine today as well, after having the car for only 3 to 4 months, i decided to post them up for sale just recently and someone picked them up, ride feels a lot smoother and its sooo nice.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:15 PM
kimban
1st Gear
Did you ever get your springs install?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Tomas_siba
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kimban
Did you ever get your springs install?
heh not yet, im still waiting around, i want to get it done though, just not willing to spend 80 bucks for install if not more

Old 03-12-2011, 09:18 PM
AAONMS
2nd Gear
Howdy! That's interesting about the TPMS. Even though I drove about 4 miles to the shop, my light didn't come on until AFTER I had the alignment done and the bushings replaced. I pressed the button and they eventually reset--well, the light went out so I'm assuming they reset!

And congrats on your new tires!!!
Went through the Reset procedure and the 4th tire reset within a couple of miles.
Have ~250 miles now on the tires and am pleased that I made the swap.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:51 AM
kimban
1st Gear
I can help you install the springs.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Tomas_siba
3rd Gear
that would be awesome, i dont have a garage nor tools necessary :(

Quick Reply: Goodbye Run Flats