Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Goodbye Run Flats

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:57 PM
rffranks
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodbye Run Flats

My 2006 MCS came with Goodyear Eagle GT run flats - after 27K miles I switched last weekend to Eagle GT non-run flats.

I feel like I'm driving a different car!!!! Handling is much better, the ride is much-improved, road noise is less, etc., etc.

To anyone out there who is putting up with their run flats - go ahead and make the change. You won't get over it.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Tomas_siba
3rd Gear
i def want to get ride of my set as well, i have them up for sale, still in good very good shape, but as soon as they are gone, i cant wait for the change

Old 02-08-2011, 04:30 PM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
+1 Best thing you can do for you & your MINI is ditch the runflats.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DooBahDoo
+1 Best thing you can do for you & your MINI is ditch the runflats.
+1

Old 02-09-2011, 07:13 AM
chr1515
Neutral
So you guys with a MCS- Do you carry a spare somewhere or just carry a can of fix-a-flat and head to the nearest tire center ASAP?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Sauron
2nd Gear
The latter.
Slime, though, because I understand fix-a-flat messes up the TPMS.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:00 PM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm not so sure that Slime or Fix-a-Flat would hose the TPMS on a first gen car. We were talking about this very subject at our local MINI meet-up last night.

From what I understand the first gen cars have a TPMS system that measures the rotational speed of a tire, and based on this reading & variations thereof, will trigger the alarm.

The second gen cars have a TPMS system w/a sensor that actually measures the tire pressure itself.

I think the first gen is an external TPMS, while the second gen is internal (for lack of a better term). If this is indeed true I don't see how any "patch in a can" could foul the first gen TPMS but I could be wrong.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:38 PM
rffranks
1st Gear
Flats

I have some slime and a portable air compressor in the back in the event I might need it. Always the chance you'll get stranded and need a tow - but still worth it in my opinion.

Have never read the slime causes any issues.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:02 PM
NH_MCS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ditto on the slime and compressor. I bought the Slime & compressor kit at Autozone around Christmas time. It was a package deal for like $15.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 PM
MyCool
1st Gear
A nearby auto savage has 15 inch wheels for $75. You can check around and find a spare but it adds weight and takes up storage space in your boot. The run flats do better in the twisties?

Old 02-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Suzanne's Chili Red S
4th Gear
External sensors on first gen cars, so no worries.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Project_2501
2nd Gear
Runflats will NOT do better through corners than a quality standard radial tire.

Something like a Toyo T1R or a Yokohama S-Drive will vastly out-perform any runflat tire (anything other than snow... but any snow tire will also out-perform a runflat as well).

Old 02-09-2011, 07:43 PM
eanico
Neutral
RE: Run Flats

I too have been wanting to get rid of my run flats due to the harsh ride, but been hessitant due to the lack of a spare tire. Just recently i had a nail in my tire, light did trigger, but i assumed it was just off by couple pounds. I still ran the car like i stole it and ran some air the next day when i realized it didnt hold any air. Nonetheless, the run flat got me home and to the tire shop to get it fix. It's a shame mini didnt take into consideration a spare tire into its design.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:41 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
FYI: Fridayxiii is right, first gen MINIs measure rotational speed from a sensor that is part of the ABS system. This makes it external and pretty much trouble free, although not as accurate as the internal types that measure PSI on Gen 2.

BTW: I carry a complete Slime kit with me to repair flats. It’s around $54 at your local Chinamart. http://bit.ly/b6cLE1

Or, you could use Tyre Guardian. It’s also suppose to work fine with internal tire pressure systems (TMPS). It works on the opposite principle of green goop like Slime. You add the liquid to your tires before you have a flat. Matter in fact, it's suppose to last the life of the tire. Here's their website for more info: http://www.tireguardian.com/ I don’t know how reliable this product is over time. I know Slimy Mess works because I’ve used it.

I also have tow insurance, which adds about $12 per year on my premium, but I enjoy the peace of mind .

Old 02-10-2011, 12:15 AM
kimban
1st Gear
i'm with you, i added towing coverage to my insurance as soon as i realize the s had no spare when i got the car. piece of mind in deed. whenever i go on long trip, i have a spare donut that i will take with me.

Originally Posted by MCSfanboy
FYI: Fridayxiii is right, first gen MINIs measure rotational speed from a sensor that is part of the ABS system. This makes it external and pretty much trouble free, although not as accurate as the internal types that measure PSI on Gen 2.

BTW: I carry a complete Slime kit with me to repair flats. It’s around $54 at your local Chinamart. http://bit.ly/b6cLE1

Or, you could use Tyre Guardian. It’s also suppose to work fine with internal tire pressure systems (TMPS). It works on the opposite principle of green goop like Slime. You add the liquid to your tires before you have a flat. Matter in fact, it's suppose to last the life of the tire. Here's their website for more info: http://www.tireguardian.com/ I don’t know how reliable this product is over time. I know Slimy Mess works because I’ve used it.

I also have tow insurance, which adds about $12 per year on my premium, but I enjoy the peace of mind .

Old 02-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Moxie D
1st Gear
First, I must thank my boyfriend for hunting down this thread and second, I want to thank all of you for these posts because it is putting my mind at ease.

I went in for a 'tire rotation' today and got some news that a whole lot of work needs to be done to Miss Moxie. Well...the price tag is a lot and the work is crucial....one being the tires.

I of course was at the dealer and they quoted me on run-flats. They said I could get a better deal on regular tires, but because that's what they put on there, that's why the quote, etc etc.

So....I'm bringing in the baby on Thursday for all of her work and want to purchase tires tomorrow. Any suggestions on good 'affordable' tires?

Motor On Peeps!

Old 02-15-2011, 03:19 PM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Hey Moxie, grats on ditching the cinder blocks on the four corners of your car. OK, so RFT's corner better than cinder blocks, but the ride...yeesh...

If you read through this forum you'll see there are a ton of different threads w/opinions on tires. When I ditched the RFT's in November I read enough here to find three tires that seemed to fit my needs & got pretty good reviews from other motorers, then compared w/reviews from other MINI owners in my area. Finally, I checked out Tire Rack.

There you can select your make/model/year, select a size & type (all-weather vs. summer, high performance, ultrahigh, etc.) and get a plethora of results. You can sort by price, manufacturer, etc. and read reviews & scores for the tires from other drivers.

My two cents: unless you can drive a MINI or MINIs fitted w/your potential tires, it's really hard to get a good idea about tires until they're actually mounted & broken in. If you read a decent amount here & on Tire Rack I think you'll give yourself the best chance to get a set you're happy with.

HTH!

Old 02-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Moxie D
1st Gear
Originally Posted by fridayxiii
Hey Moxie, grats on ditching the cinder blocks on the four corners of your car. OK, so RFT's corner better than cinder blocks, but the ride...yeesh...

If you read through this forum you'll see there are a ton of different threads w/opinions on tires. When I ditched the RFT's in November I read enough here to find three tires that seemed to fit my needs & got pretty good reviews from other motorers, then compared w/reviews from other MINI owners in my area. Finally, I checked out Tire Rack.

There you can select your make/model/year, select a size & type (all-weather vs. summer, high performance, ultrahigh, etc.) and get a plethora of results. You can sort by price, manufacturer, etc. and read reviews & scores for the tires from other drivers.

My two cents: unless you can drive a MINI or MINIs fitted w/your potential tires, it's really hard to get a good idea about tires until they're actually mounted & broken in. If you read a decent amount here & on Tire Rack I think you'll give yourself the best chance to get a set you're happy with.

HTH!
Thanks fridayxiii I'm taking a look at Tire Rack and searching my Sunshine Minis Forum as well. The tires that came with Moxie are 205/45R-17 Performance Run-flat tires and the ones that my Sunshine peeps are using and talking about are :

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3s sized 215/45/16
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110
Bridgestone Protenza G O19 Grid
Yokohama H4S
Goodyear Eagle GT's 205/50R16

I wouldn't know the difference if one rolled over the top of me, so.... I'll just try to figure out Moxie's needs and go from there. They're all in the right price range.... I might even be able to hit up wal-mart, as a local tire company 'vannoys' didn't have what i needed and was really reluctant to quote me on anything other than Kumhos.

Last edited by Moxie D; 02-16-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:17 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
I have the Hankook Ventus V12 evo's on my car & like 'em a lot. The ride is night & day vs. the Bridgestone RFTs, and I like the way the Hankooks corner & handle after the break-in period. And the topper: they were very reasonably priced.

Sounds like you've done some research already so you're on the right path. Good luck w/the final decision, and hope you enjoy the results!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Moxie D
1st Gear
Well I pushed the 'go' button on the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 XL.

They should arrive no later than Monday and Moxie will be sporting her new look shortly thereafter.

Thanks so much for the advice....makes me feel that much more confident.

Oh...and a huge shout out to Gus at TireRack.... helpful, fun and to the point...he made the ordering process easy as pie. That is how things should be done. I will DEFINITELY go through them again.

I'll be sure to keep you updated!!!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Moxie D
Well I pushed the 'go' button on the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 XL.

They should arrive no later than Monday and Moxie will be sporting her new look shortly thereafter.

Thanks so much for the advice....makes me feel that much more confident.

Oh...and a huge shout out to Gus at TireRack.... helpful, fun and to the point...he made the ordering process easy as pie. That is how things should be done. I will DEFINITELY go through them again.

I'll be sure to keep you updated!!!
Kewl.

I'd suggest following the Tire Rack suggestions for breaking in the new tires. The Hankooks get better after 500 miles, they really do. Also, if they feel a bit soft or squishy try running 38psi or so instead of 35. Makes a big difference in cornering.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Moxie D
1st Gear
Originally Posted by fridayxiii
Kewl.

I'd suggest following the Tire Rack suggestions for breaking in the new tires. The Hankooks get better after 500 miles, they really do. Also, if they feel a bit soft or squishy try running 38psi or so instead of 35. Makes a big difference in cornering.
Cool! Thanks for the tip! Hey, so I checked out your photos and zoomed on The Cockpit! I just posted in my BRG Group about that brighter silver trim. i.e. the tiny cup holder color and door handle area. I think I have the same thing, but mine is rubbing off! I think it's probably something I can have my boyfriend touch up, but do you know where I can find that exact color and its name? I cant' seem to find it anywhere and I think 'magnesium grey' is the color of the actual door panel no?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:00 PM
caffeinewired
1st Gear
I can't wait to do this. Probably the next time I get another foreign object in my run flat effing joke tires. My car has 12000 miles and I've already replaced TWO of my tires in less than a year! I have Goodyear Excellence tires that are 250 bucks a piece online. Seriously BMW, why run flats? They freaking suck!

/end rant

Old 02-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Tomas_siba
3rd Gear
yea i cant wait to get them off either, from all this hype going around, i have them posted up in the marketplace in case someone who likes them needs a new set

Old 02-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Moxie D
1st Gear
Originally Posted by caffeinewired
I can't wait to do this. Probably the next time I get another foreign object in my run flat effing joke tires. My car has 12000 miles and I've already replaced TWO of my tires in less than a year! I have Goodyear Excellence tires that are 250 bucks a piece online. Seriously BMW, why run flats? They freaking suck!

/end rant
YOWZA Those are some pricey tires! I had no clue, knew NOTHING of tires until yesterday's run flat sticker shock quote. All four of mine were bad...I had no idea how bad, but.... let's just say I'm not driving anywhere until I can get them replaced. aka 'dry rot'

I've quickly educated myself with the help of thy MINI peeps and my bf and keep hearing great things about these Hankooks, so now I'm really excited

Quick Reply: Goodbye Run Flats