Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

OEM Tires with Winter Option

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:04 AM
Scott12
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Tires with Winter Option

I'll likely be buying my first Mini (new or slightly used) this coming fall/winter. I live in St Louis, MO. We don't get a lot of snow most winters here, but we do get some really bad snow/ice/sleet type weather usually a few weeks thruout the winter. On my Miata, I've always run 2 sets of wheels, stocks w/ high-performance summer tires, and steels with winter tires.

For those of you who don't garage the Mini in bad winter weather, how do you handle this? If I buy new, I have a few options I'm considering:
  • Get the all-seasons & deal w/ them till they wear out then re-address the issue (putting off the additional cost of buying a second set of wheels may be a significant factor)
  • Get the OEM summer RFs and buy a set of steel wheels w/ winters on them. Use the OEM RFs as my summer tires till they wear out, then get non-RF summers to replace them
  • Get whichever would sell better, trade them out right away for some non-RF summers and buy the steels +winters
Anyone else gone thru this decision? Thoughts?

And on the last option, for those who sell the RFs, how do you sell them? Do they sell well on the marketplace here? Do you put them up on ebay?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:26 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott12
I'll likely be buying my first Mini (new or slightly used) this coming fall/winter. I live in St Louis, MO. We don't get a lot of snow most winters here, but we do get some really bad snow/ice/sleet type weather usually a few weeks thruout the winter. On my Miata, I've always run 2 sets of wheels, stocks w/ high-performance summer tires, and steels with winter tires.

For those of you who don't garage the Mini in bad winter weather, how do you handle this? If I buy new, I have a few options I'm considering:
  • Get the all-seasons & deal w/ them till they wear out then re-address the issue (putting off the additional cost of buying a second set of wheels may be a significant factor)
  • Get the OEM summer RFs and buy a set of steel wheels w/ winters on them. Use the OEM RFs as my summer tires till they wear out, then get non-RF summers to replace them
  • Get whichever would sell better, trade them out right away for some non-RF summers and buy the steels +winters
Anyone else gone thru this decision? Thoughts?

And on the last option, for those who sell the RFs, how do you sell them? Do they sell well on the marketplace here? Do you put them up on ebay?
I have gone through your decision and ended up with summer aftermarket rims, non RFT tires and OEM set of rims with the OEM all season RFT for the winter. If the RFT was reasonable comfotable I would probably have used them throughout the year but they are very harsh on my 2008 MCS with sports suspension.

A porthole finally blew out the all season RFT and I changed them to the Conti DWS.