Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Need recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:17 PM
riggz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need recommendations...

So my wife's 2009 MCS had a bubble in the sidewall that finally split. Since we plan on selling it soon as the motor recently blew up thanks to the timing chain tensioner backing out, I'd like to just put 2 new ones on and stick em on the front wheels. The other two have 23k miles on them so they aren't too bad off. Would like to get something that is inexpensive but not noisey. Not really concerned with the ride. I usually have time to search this stuff out but due to lack of time, I am relying on the forum for help. Need to get something installed tomorrow or saturday.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:21 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
if you are trading it in, you could get some decent used tires, perhaps even the same brand. That would save you some money.

Look on e-bay or NAM marketplace if you are not in too much of a hurry.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 PM
riggz
1st Gear
Found a set of "supposedly" oem Dunlops with 50% tread left on craigslist for $150. Going to pick em up tomorrow. If not, we may get stuck buying some expensive stuff as there is nobody that has anything in stock for the cheaper tires...

Old 03-21-2011, 06:28 PM
riggz
1st Gear
Well, scored a set of the OEM Dunlops w/ 6/32" of tread left which is what the back two tires have (front have 5/32"). One of them had a nail through the middle of the tire, but the shop I bought them from patched it up.

I went to take the wheel off so I could take it to a shop and have them swap out the tire but of course the dealership failed to put the wheel lock key back in the vehicle when they either did the recent service work or tire rotation.... So I had to take a picture and email it to the service advisor for so he could match it up and I could just stop in and pick it up. I did this on Saturday. Well, Sunday I tried to take the wheel off, but the lugs were sooo tight I couldn't budge them with the car's tire iron. So I had my wife drive it 1 mile up to the closest shop where they said they could change the tire. Even THEY couldn't get the wheel off. So we had to call roadside assistance and have them tow it to the dealer. Then the dealer said they couldn't get it off either. So who knows what they had to do to get it off.

Funny part is the dealer is the ONLY one to do ANY work on this vehicle, so it was THEM who tightened the lugs down so tight in the first place.... Let's just say I am QUITE upset at this point......

Old 03-21-2011, 07:33 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by riggz
Well, scored a set of the OEM Dunlops w/ 6/32" of tread left which is what the back two tires have (front have 5/32"). One of them had a nail through the middle of the tire, but the shop I bought them from patched it up.

I went to take the wheel off so I could take it to a shop and have them swap out the tire but of course the dealership failed to put the wheel lock key back in the vehicle when they either did the recent service work or tire rotation.... So I had to take a picture and email it to the service advisor for so he could match it up and I could just stop in and pick it up. I did this on Saturday. Well, Sunday I tried to take the wheel off, but the lugs were sooo tight I couldn't budge them with the car's tire iron. So I had my wife drive it 1 mile up to the closest shop where they said they could change the tire. Even THEY couldn't get the wheel off. So we had to call roadside assistance and have them tow it to the dealer. Then the dealer said they couldn't get it off either. So who knows what they had to do to get it off.

Funny part is the dealer is the ONLY one to do ANY work on this vehicle, so it was THEM who tightened the lugs down so tight in the first place.... Let's just say I am QUITE upset at this point......
Wow, that must have been rusted on for the impact wrenches to not take it off. Be a little careful because I have broken frozen lug bolts before.

Hope it all works out and you can put this behind you. At least you have the tires for cheaper.