Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Venting a little: second Low Pressure warning in 2 days.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:18 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Venting a little: second Low Pressure warning in 2 days.

Just had my tires/wheels/swaybar done in one shot at a local Big O Tire.

The day of, I drove it to work on surface streets with no issues, but on the way home on the highway it vibrated like crazy at speed, mostly felt in the steering wheel. Brought it back to the shop immediately. On my way there, a half block from the service bay, the Tire Pressure light came on.

I told them that in addition to the vibration we had spoken about on the phone, I also had a tire pressure light. I assumed they had just done a sloppy fill job and it was out enough to throw things off. They had it on the lift for a bit, told me one wheel was slightly off balance, and they filled the tires.

Then today, after a leisurely highway drive, the light comes on again, luckily, right beside a gas station. I pull in and check the tires, all are at 34, but one is barely pushing out the rod on the pressure gauge. I thought I was just not getting a good seal, but nope, it was around 15psi.

Is there something other than tire damage that would explain this kind of slow-ish leak? I haven't hit anything and I don't see any nails, etc. Could this be the result of poor workmanship while mounting the tires?

I'm bringing it in first thing tomorrow morning. I just want to enjoy my new wheels and tires!

Old 03-22-2011, 03:02 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It happens, they have to remount the tire, tighten the valve stem (or replace it).

Old 03-22-2011, 03:04 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
the seal on the wheel

they will need to peal off the tire clean up and inspect the rim and tire lip and remount the leaker

Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice to know the system works, eh? Probably saved you buying another tire.

I think JPMM is right, it's leaking around the rim. Need to dismount and clean the rim with a scotch pad, then remount it.

They usually replace the valve stems, so it's unlikely that's what's wrong but it's possible, they could have damaged it while putting the tire on or it could have a bad stem.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:22 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Thanks for the input guys. Definitely good to know the system works, but I'm surprised it took a 20lb difference to light up! I'm also surprised that the tire didn't look flat with only 15psi.

I brought it in first thing this morning. I was initially told that it looked fine, but when I pointed out that it was the second time it had happened since they mounted the tires, the owner overheard and stepped in. He had them remove the tire, clean it and re-seal it. They said it also may have been the stem not seated properly but could have been repositioned properly when I filled it last night (?)

In any case, hopefully it is resolved now. There is just one employee there that is a pain to deal with, but the owner has been good at trying to resolve things as they have come up. Some good news, he told me my Konig decals for the caps should be in today or tomorrow. It looks a little naked as-is.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:44 AM
lithium77
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it happens again you may want to check for small cracks in the rim. Usually you can see them leaking if you put the wheel with tire on under some water. Even a hairline crack would cause this.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:05 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
They are brand new wheels so hopefully there are no cracks, but I will keep an eye on them!