Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

brake question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:04 AM
SDriverDave
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake question

My brakes are going to need to be replaced within the next few months, so I'm starting my planning now. Our mini is a 2003 S, with no performance mods (and since my wife has said she's not interested in increased performance, it may be a while before there are any). It has the sport package, so 17" wheels. I am currently using it as a daily driver, and will NEVER be interested in tracking...only spirited commuting.

Under those circumstances, is there any reason why I would want to go with anything more than a minor upgrade like this: http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-ebc...0-r53-r56.html ? The dust reduction alone will make that worth doing...I just don't think that a more expense set of brakes would have much value for me. Does this make sense?

Thanks for any comments!

Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That is a very good option. No reason at all not to get it.
Also, no need to change the lines if you are happy with the stock performance.

Lowest cost option would be to get low dust pads (many options and I chose Hawk ceramic) from a sponsor, rotors from a local parts store (I have gotten disks for $30 each) and a new brake fluid (don't forget to do a flush at least every two years).
The generic rotors from the local parts stores are fine if you are just doing street driving.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:45 AM
ramjet77
3rd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I also have a 2003 S and switched to the EBC Greens acouple of years ago (along with Brembo OEM style discs. Contrary to claims, I have not noticed a decrease in brake dust. Actually, Ive noticed my stock silver wheels (16") have gotten pitted with brake residue that can't be removed; something that didn't occur with the OEM brakes. It must be a denser particulate matter that comes from the pads when using the brakes. I'm not knocking the EBC Greens, they work satisfactorially, but if you're major consideration is less dust, you might consider other options. Can anyone on our list that have the Greens say they noticed less dust?

Old 03-25-2011, 08:35 AM
ufomini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the EBC Reds and I do not get much brake dust period.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:46 AM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed w/ original poster sentiments

Given your (non-performance) preferences, what you say makes a lot of sense. As with all the other German (Euro) based cars I have owned w/ their underlying suppliers, the OEM pads produce mountains of dust. I am running EBC reds on other cars, and they clearly reduced dust by a huge margin. Greens supposedly even more so.

My low dust winner thus far over many pad changes and brands are Mintex red box, but EBC greens may well be in the same bucket (both street only, much lower dust). Underlying brake systems are usually at least as robust as the Mini, and in some cases w/ rotors alone at 15+", pads at literally twice the size and cars at almost twice the weight. Talk about an old OEM dust storm there! Yet, with the pad change to EBC's, that 450HP vehicle with its mega brakes is throwing off far less dust than my R56 Mini S.

Note EBC does have a break in coating (which their instructions discuss, and which I take as a good thing)). It can throw off a bit of initial gunk but again, even w/ somewhat higher dust reds, the long term results hve been good. Reds are noted as somewhat hard on rotors, so for your needs again greens may be the preferred choice.