Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Best Track Day Wheels and Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 08:30 PM
gosharks
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am planning on attending at least 2 Driving Schools offerred by my local BMWCCA club. The tracks are Laguna Seca and Infineon (formerly Sears Point) Raceway. I currently have the 16" V-Spokes (with all season Dunlop run flats). Other mods: pulley, H Sports springs, Madness swaybar, Madness CAI, UUC cat-back, and Evotech ECU software (planning on IK22 plugs and Nology wires, Pilo coil, and Schroth Harness). What would the best tire set-up for these schools? I currently have Goodyear F1's on order through Tire Rack (205/50 16). Due to the possible lengthy back order, I am considering a switch to ??? I would like to keep the 16" V Spokes, but considering options. Are there any opinions out there? S 03's? Toyo T1's? Keep the Goodyears on order? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 01-16-2004, 07:28 AM
FWD-MX5
4th Gear
If you are getting extra rims, go for R Compound tires as well.

Old 01-16-2004, 08:33 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S03's, Azenis sport, some kumho's did well too.

I think you'll go though those tires pretty quickly though, so
if budget is not an issue, get a couple of sets of S03's.

after getting on roadcouse more often, i think race tires would
be the way to go.

Old 01-16-2004, 09:08 AM
ColoradoMark
4th Gear
I was pleased with my Kumho MX's, I think they held up pretty well. But for ultimate performance you should get an R compound tire. I think ithe decision centers on whether you'll be able/willing to change rims at the track or if you need something you can drive to the track on that will be a dual purpose street/track tire.
My current configuration is Conti Extreme all seasons on 17" OZ SL wheels for the street and Kumho Ecsta V700 or 16" SSR comps for the track.

Old 01-17-2004, 08:20 AM
gosharks
4th Gear
Thanks everyone. I will likely switch my order to S 03's with Alex next week.

Old 01-17-2004, 09:22 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excellent choice. :smile:

Old 01-19-2004, 03:32 PM
BEANTIME
Neutral
I'v had great luck with my Yokohama AVS ES100. Not bad for a everyday driver and track tire.I'v allso did well autoxing but they do need some heat.I'v done two track days at CMP,it's 20 miles from my house,and both times i was flat out wide open in 3rd gear.There not race tires,but there cheap and do a great job.

Old 01-20-2004, 01:42 PM
gosharks
4th Gear
Beantime,
I bought the Yoko's for my wife's 3 Series, a really good tire (I like the tread pattern as well), but not the end all in performance. Great price too! I switched my order with Alex at the TireRack yesterday to the S-03's. Pricey, and I hope they are worth it. Anything will be better than my Dunlop SP5000's I suppose.

Old 01-21-2004, 05:17 AM
samawil
5th Gear
I'm on S03s and they are great, but because I've done a few track events, it's almost time for some new shoes, and because of the price, I'm gonna go with something else.

I was told that for the money, the Toyo T1S (or something like that) is a very good tire. Someone was telling me that the Q/A on Kumhos is really bad...but I have no experience with either, so I don't know,

Louay

Old 01-21-2004, 06:01 AM
asodestrom
6th Gear
Gosharks,

Have you checked out the Northern California Racing Club? NCRC They have Lots of HPDE's at Laguna, Sears, and thunderhill.

Old 01-21-2004, 08:25 AM
gosharks
4th Gear
>>Gosharks,
>>
>>Have you checked out the Northern California Racing Club? NCRC They have Lots of HPDE's at Laguna, Sears, and thunderhill.

Thanks for the link, they have a lot of events and are priced reasonably. I will check it out!

Old 01-21-2004, 08:42 AM
gosharks
4th Gear
>>I'm on S03s and they are great, but because I've done a few track events, it's almost time for some new shoes, and because of the price, I'm gonna go with something else.
>>
>>I was told that for the money, the Toyo T1S (or something like that) is a very good tire. Someone was telling me that the Q/A on Kumhos is really bad...but I have no experience with either, so I don't know,
>>
>>Louay

I had also heard that the Toyo T1's are a very good tire as well (also with a low wear rating). The cost may actually be more than the S-03's. The car mags like Grassroots Motorsports and others like the Kumho's, but I know a couple of people that have tried them and said they were just okay, and one person said they had two sidewall blowouts!

Old 01-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Skottoman
3rd Gear
Hey Go Sharks,
If I have read correctly in the past, I believe you are in Santa Cruz. I think you have a CR/B S. I also have a CR/B S with Aero kit, and live in Scotts Valley. My licence says EVL MINI. I have done a HPDE at Laguna before, and would like to do another sometime. Where are you signing up for this club to run Laguna? I'd love the opportunity to do it again, although my car is stock and last time my runflats started to melt after 20 mins...

Old 01-21-2004, 11:43 AM
gosharks
4th Gear
>>Hey Go Sharks,
>>If I have read correctly in the past, I believe you are in Santa Cruz. I think you have a CR/B S. I also have a CR/B S with Aero kit, and live in Scotts Valley. My licence says EVL MINI. I have done a HPDE at Laguna before, and would like to do another sometime. Where are you signing up for this club to run Laguna? I'd love the opportunity to do it again, although my car is stock and last time my runflats started to melt after 20 mins...

I live just over the hill from you in Saratoga. I joined the local BMW club who is sponsoring a number of school days and autocross, check out this link
BMW CCa. They have track days for Infineon, Thunderhill, and Laguna Seca so far. You will need to join the club, $35, and take their Car Control Clinic (CCC), before you can attend the school. The CCC was a lot of fun but I pretty much smoked my front runflats during this as well. I hope you join, I went from a lot of snickers about my MCS at the beginning to a lot of questions at the end of this class. Their AutoX are held in San Leandro and SF, a bit too far though. The Laguna Seca dates are not set yet, but I received an email yesterday that this will probably be late May. Infineon is set for March 6/7.