Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Handles like crap in the snow..DSC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Bobbyn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy I am really disapointed with the way the mni handles in the snow...even withthe DSC
off it seems that once I start to spin the wheels in the snowthe car just wants to shut down.

My tires arn't helping any...I got those eagle F1's on it and there great in the dry but suck in the snow. It seems like the car won't peel out and the computer is really driving the car..I really don't like it...

I see alot of posts on driving school...maybe that'll help? My ole lady has a grand am with some sort of traction control and it does the same...shuts the throttle down, but you can shut it off. What am I missing here?

Other than that I love the mini.....but am really disapointed in the way it reacts when slipping.

Bobbyn

Old 01-16-2004, 06:30 PM
jsun
6th Gear
If you turn off the switch that says "DSC", and you'll know it's off 'cause you'll see the little yellow safety triangle lit constantly on your speedo, then you should be able to spin wheels with impunity. The power will not be shut down. My guess is that despite what you think you've done, you've not actually shut down the traction control.

Other than that, your snow traction will be pretty much non-existent with performance runflats. Of course you have no traction... If you plan on driving in the snow, get some snow tires (or at least decent all-seasons). Check the threads in the Tire forum. You'll see that just about everyone has many positive things to say about the MINI in the snow...assuming they have the proper tires.

Bring Out the Scoops!

Old 01-16-2004, 06:49 PM
dandp
6th Gear
Eagle F1's???????? High perf summer tires, correct? Like jsun said, get all-season's at the least.

Old 01-16-2004, 06:51 PM
fishey72
5th Gear
I live in a county in Michigan with some of the largest snowfalls in america 200"+. A set of snow tires and rims are the answer.

1. Go to a smaller size, they slice through the snow better, like a 15"rim. A set of snows on 2. My experience is that more basic snow tires work nearly as well as the fancy claiming to be high performance snows. The Dunlops work great and are cheap.

Snows on steel rims delivered to your door is about $500. I have had several cars and several sets of tires and it works great. I cannot accelerate on snow like my wifes Subaru Outback, but I can stop and control the car better hers.

An added benefit to snows, is that they extend the life of your summer tires.

m-m-m-m-mmmmotor on! (it is -3 here)

Old 01-16-2004, 06:56 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is my second winter with my all-season runflats, which are now at a little over half their life span, and I'm continually amazed at how well my car handles in the snow.

Old 01-18-2004, 09:56 AM
Bobbyn
3rd Gear
Geezzzzz....so much for selling my stock all season run flats and wheels.....DUH

I'm gona call alex tommoro to seeif I can just put a set of snows...or blizzaks on the front only and leave the F1's in the rear.....I wasn't planning on spending 600.00 on tires...300.00 for 2 I'll go for...

Bobbyn

Old 01-18-2004, 10:01 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Like some here..it's my 2nd season in the snow.
This year I have Blizzaks...and IMHO.... they make all the difference in the world.
The car tracks incredibly and has great traction/handling in the snow.
It was definately worth the investment of $$$$$$$.

Peace,
D

Old 01-18-2004, 10:04 AM
Superdave
3rd Gear
Bobbyn,
Alex will tell you not to run anything but all four of the same size,brand and type.

Old 01-18-2004, 10:13 AM
jsun
6th Gear
^ Go with 4 of the same. 2 snows in front and the slicks on the back will lead to VERY unpredictable handling. In the end, the extra couple of hundred (a set of 4 snows and steel wheels shouldn't cost more than about $550) is better than wrapping yourself around a tree or being upsidedown in a ditch.

You might also consider 4 17" all season tires to fit on your current wheels. If you shop around, you may get something closer to $400 than $600....but again, I hope that your margin in this car is not so tight that a couple of hundred extra on tires that you will own for at least 3 seasons will be that much of a factor.

Bring Out the Scoops!

Old 01-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
You must use a set of 4 snows, otherwise your rear end will end up coming around on you anytime you touch the steering wheel with those GS-D3's you currently have.

tisk-tisk running summers in snow ops:

Old 01-18-2004, 11:12 AM
dandp
6th Gear
You can easily do 4 all season 17" tires for $400. I am running Continental Conti Extremes after last winter. We'll see how they perform in the summer...

Old 01-18-2004, 11:43 AM
mcs22004
5th Gear
>>Boy I am really disapointed with the way the mni handles in the snow...even withthe DSC
>>off it seems that once I start to spin the wheels in the snowthe car just wants to shut down.
>>
>>My tires arn't helping any...I got those eagle F1's on it and there great in the dry but suck in the snow. It seems like the car won't peel out and the computer is really driving the car..I really don't like it...
>>
>>I see alot of posts on driving school...maybe that'll help? My ole lady has a grand am with some sort of traction control and it does the same...shuts the throttle down, but you can shut it off. What am I missing here?
>>
>>Other than that I love the mini.....but am really disapointed in the way it reacts when slipping.
>>
>>Bobbyn

It's your tires.

When I got my MCS, it had Eufori@s on it and was unbelievably bad in the snow. After ordering a set of wheels with Blizzak tires on them (for easy swap), the MCS is like a completely different car in the snow. It now runs as well as any other FWD car.

DSC must be turned off while you're on a snow- or ice-covered road or the car will basically stop moving.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:54 AM
zfxr
5th Gear
In my drive back from the dealer (mix of city/highway)... DSC isn't too awesome.
I did start to slide a bit changing lanes around 40MPH and it caught the slide
well. However, under 20MPH, it doesn't seem to be very involved. Corner Braking
Control does a better job in this scenario, it seems.

I have an S with the 16" Dunlop 5000's, I think the tires are pretty decent. I would
put it as a "run of the mill" front-wheel drive. If you work the transmission well,
it's pretty decent.

In College, I had a Oldsmobile Intrigue. First with Eagle LS's, ok in snow. Then with Bridgestone Blizzak's WS-50's- wow, BIG difference. In Houghton, MI- I NEVER got stuck with Blizzaks :smile: Tho, in the (IMHO) fairly mild winters of Detroit, I think I can deal with the Dunlops...

Old 01-19-2004, 07:04 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Bobbyn,

Get yourself a set of four winter / snow tires. Eagle F-1s are completely inappropriate for winter conditions. Remember the fable about the ant and the grasshopper, ya gotta prepare for winter, dude.

Old 01-19-2004, 07:39 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Thread Moved to Tire and Wheel

Old 01-19-2004, 07:56 AM
minibrute
4th Gear
My DSC all season goodyear runflat equiped mcs surprised me. I've driven 4wd suv and pick up trucks for the past12 years in new york. This is my first winter without my own 4wd vehicle, our other car is a subaru outback. The mini has proven very capable in the worst conditions around here. I definately wouldn't say the mini sucks in the snow, not at all.

Old 01-19-2004, 12:24 PM
manoo
3rd Gear
15" blizzack W50s and you will be flying through the snow......call Alex @ Tire Rack.

Old 01-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Bobbyn
3rd Gear
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replys on the tires....I'm gona have to get a set of blizzaks....

Just got back from a biz trip and will call alex next week

Bobbyn

Old 01-24-2004, 07:00 PM
clatrell
1st Gear
Get snow tires immediately and drive on snow. The MINI is one of the best snow cars I've had, and I'm smack in the middle of the Lake Effect Snow Belt. Zooms right by SUVs. And the heated seats are the best in this -10 degree weather.

Old 01-24-2004, 07:37 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
I ran the latter part of last winter on the 17" Pirelli runflats... was scary as hell. This year I have dunlop all season runflats... and it's great, except for stopping.

Old 01-26-2004, 12:26 PM
DaCrema
5th Gear
Last year I was running the Goodyear 16" runflats on my MC. They are rated as a performance tire by Goodyear. I did not like the way the car did in the snow but that was ok as I had an old Honda to drive when the weather got bad. This year I no longer have the Honda, and I no longer have the Goodyear’s (note I did get 26k miles from them and overall liked them for what they were).

DaMINI does great in the snow with the Falken Ziex ZE 512 ( http://www.rspeed.net/mini/item.asp?...p;prod=405-712 ) that I got from Rspeed. They are just about as good for dry weather street driving if not better than the Goodyear’s but the difference is night and day in bad weather. I would not put these up against the F1's on a dry road but will take you on any day in the snow (just kidding - you are likely a bunch faster than this old fart). The Falkens are not a good tire for the snow belt but if you live in an area that gets snow only 3 to 5 times a year and that snow is not to deep - the snow tires are overkill and likely will not do as good in the rain (get it by the bucket in DC).

I still might get a different set of wheels and tires for the summer, spring and fall though and I like the F1s.

Hope you get a good drive in soon.
John

Old 01-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Taboo
2nd Gear
I just put a set of snows on with a nice looking wheels.....made a big difference and still looks good too.
Just in time because we are in the middle of a real bad storm here in Toronto....

Old 01-27-2004, 02:22 PM
RaceCarDriver
3rd Gear
MY MCS has the sport package with the 17's. They suck in the snow. I bought 15's with Blizzack snow tires from Tire Rack and they work great in the snow.

RaceCarDriver

Old 01-30-2004, 04:20 AM
Kohu'ulaMINI
5th Gear
Aloha!! Just trying to spread some Aloha humor

Old 01-30-2004, 05:56 AM
StillK
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep the DSC turned off and go buy the 15in ch steel rims with some sort of ice grip tires (Blizzaks etc). My Mini handles great in the snow and ice (if the doors aren't frozen) and like you (WNY) we get alot of lake effect snow. I find that the DSC is worthless when trying to accelerate in snow and ice - it does what it is supposed to do - but you basically don't go anywhere.