Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

TPMS light

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:33 AM
ValentineRoe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS light

Hello all. When I bought my R53, it came with wheels that were not original. They're stock MINI wheels, but not the originals. Anyway, I was told when the wheels were changed the TPMS sensors were removed. As a result the TPMS warning light is permanently lit. It didn't bother me at first, but it's kind of wearing on me. It's a bit of an eyesore. Anyone know how to disable this light? I tried the button by the handbrake, but no dice. I was thinking of maybe removing the bulb, but I'd prefer to not have to remove the speedo if possible. Anyone ever deal with this issue?

Old 04-07-2011, 08:20 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
The R53 doesn't have TPMS sensors in the wheels. They use the ABS sensors to detect tire rotation spreed, a low tire is slightly shorter than a properly inflated tire and turns faster.

If you can't reset it following the proceedure in the owner's manual, you may have a bad ABS sensor.

Dave

Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 AM
ValentineRoe
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
The R53 doesn't have TPMS sensors in the wheels. They use the ABS sensors to detect tire rotation spreed, a low tire is slightly shorter than a properly inflated tire and turns faster.

If you can't reset it following the proceedure in the owner's manual, you may have a bad ABS sensor.

Dave
Right, okay, so the sensors have been removed. I need a means of bypass.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
Do you know that the ABS sensors are gone? If they are, you should fix your ABS, it improves braking performance. Fooling the system with a jury rig is a real bad idea.

Dave

Old 04-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You more than likely have a dead wheel speed sensor. Who ever sold you your MINI gave you a line of BS. R53 MINIs do not have sensors in the wheels.

As far as I know there is no way to do a bypass.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 AM
ValentineRoe
1st Gear
Hmmmmm. I took the guy at his word, because I know him. He did not know what he was talking about, I guess. Where would I go to get that inspected? Just a regular shop, or can I do it at home?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
the only way I know of to determine which abs (aka wheel speed) sensor is bad is to go to the dealer and have them run diagnostics.

However - since you do not indicate that you are seeing an ASC (or DSC if so equipped) fault then I doubt you have a bad sensor. ABS is part of the ASC/DSC so if it sees a bad sensor you should see a warning.... that's why many folks come here asking what's up when they see ASC and TPMS lights come on and reseting TPMS doesn't clear everything . . .

Are you reseting the TPMS correctly - is it not just "press the button" and the light goes out. You need to hold the button down (while stationary, after you start the car) - the light will go out then come back on and flash. The system is now ready to reset itself, it takes a little while of driving for the car to 'learn' the new base line.

Funny thing is, no matter how far off your inflation is - the car should learn this new baseline and the light should go out.

If the light still won't go out the owner's manual refers you to the dealer and we're back to a potentially bad ABS sensor.

for reference the "active" TMPS started arriving during the 07 model year - early 07's like mine didn't have it yet but when my car came off the truck, some had the old system and some had the wheel sensors.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:37 AM
ValentineRoe
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
the only way I know of to determine which abs (aka wheel speed) sensor is bad is to go to the dealer and have them run diagnostics.

However - since you do not indicate that you are seeing an ASC (or DSC if so equipped) fault then I doubt you have a bad sensor. ABS is part of the ASC/DSC so if it sees a bad sensor you should see a warning.... that's why many folks come here asking what's up when they see ASC and TPMS lights come on and reseting TPMS doesn't clear everything . . .

Are you reseting the TPMS correctly - is it not just "press the button" and the light goes out. You need to hold the button down (while stationary, after you start the car) - the light will go out then come back on and flash. The system is now ready to reset itself, it takes a little while of driving for the car to 'learn' the new base line.

Funny thing is, no matter how far off your inflation is - the car should learn this new baseline and the light should go out.

If the light still won't go out the owner's manual refers you to the dealer and we're back to a potentially bad ABS sensor.

for reference the "active" TMPS started arriving during the 07 model year - early 07's like mine didn't have it yet but when my car came off the truck, some had the old system and some had the wheel sensors.
Thank you for this! BOY you are so helpful BJ! My car did not come with a manual, so I've been Googling for answers/how-tos. I have not tried this method. I just pushed the button. I will try this, and fingers crossed it will be an easy fix. I'm annoyed that I was mislead by this dealer I trust....Thanks again.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Old 04-08-2011, 02:21 AM
ValentineRoe
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
THANK YOU!!!!! I tried the procedure BJ suggested, but my button couldn't be depressed. I'm thinking that may be the start of the problem. I'll be taking off the interior trim this weekend to see that is jamming the button and then go from there.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:06 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ValentineRoe
...I tried the procedure BJ suggested, but my button couldn't be depressed.
The button doesn't push down very far. Maybe just a click. It's probably one of those microswitches. Start car. Press down. Hold for about 10 seconds. Tire pressure warning light should blink. Let go and drive.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:12 PM
firehawk618
2nd Gear
What the 2nd poster was saying is your car NEVER had tire sensors.

Follow the procedure listed above and it should go away.

The button is a pop magnet and may just be gummed up.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:14 AM
ValentineRoe
1st Gear
Originally Posted by firehawk618
What the 2nd poster was saying is your car NEVER had tire sensors.

Follow the procedure listed above and it should go away.

The button is a pop magnet and may just be gummed up.
It is most definitely gummed up. I took the button out last night, took it apart, and sometime today will go about "un gumming it." Hopefully then I can try the procedure again. When I tried it last time, nothing happened. No blinking, no change, nothing. I'm betting an un gummed button will help. The saga continues.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:10 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
victim of spilled beverages perhaps . . .

Old 04-12-2011, 04:40 PM
ValentineRoe
1st Gear
Success! I replaced the button this afternoon, and viola! The light is off. Thanks for all the help everyone . I'm going to take a small break in modding my MINI for now. My wife gave birth to our first child on the 9th! A beautiful MINI baby boy . Looks like he's going to take all my attention for a while.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:14 PM
gr8ful
4th Gear
Congrats on you, Dad. Your life just changed big time. Playing with your new baby is much better than playing with the Mini. A little scary at first but still cool. Enjoy

Old 04-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Congrats on the little one.

Glad you got that light off too....