Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

18's vs 17's

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:29 AM
mini elli
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18's vs 17's

Hi everyone! I am a new Mini Cooper S Convertible owner now for 1 week and it's AWESOME! I love my car and want to change my wheels with either 17's or 18's. I am looking mainly at the Team Dynamic's Pro 1.2 in either a 7.0 x 17 or 8.0 x 18 in the Anthracite.

I also want to get rid of the wheel gap and want to lower the Mini. I understand, however, that if I just use springs my stock struts and shocks will go bad. So I will either need to put on new springs & struts or coil overs.

I am worried about the ride quality being too stiff since I don't plan on taking me car to the track... it's just a daily driver.

Has anybody put 18's verses 17's on their Mini and what is your impression of the overall ride quality?

Thank you SOOOO much!

Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ride quality is much better with the 17", especially if you opted for the sport suspension. Also with the 17", you are probably less likely to get a bent rim from road obstacles, something that can be a potential issue in many places.

Tires also can add to the ride harshness as well so a good choice could be the Continental Extreme Contact DW or DWS if you want a tire with a more compliant ride.

Last edited by slinger688; 05-22-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 AM
WildThang
4th Gear
What year is your MINI? Depending on your year, 18" rims & tires may rub and cause some wheelwell modifications. 17" rims and tires will fit.

Lowering a MINI doesn't always mean you'll ruin stock struts and or shocks. It depends how far you drop the car from stock, which you can choose when you buy the springs.. A drop of pproximately 1" to 1.5" is the normal for both front and rear. You will probably need to change out the rear lower control arms so the wheels will sit true to the ground.

Ride harshness will depend on the tires you use for the most part. Run flat tires have harder side walls, and therefore ride harder. Non run flat tires will take some of the choppy feel out of the ride. It just depends what's more important to you, handling or ride. I prefer runflats on 17" rims.

Rims come in different widths from different manufacturers, just remember the stock 17" rims on MINIs are 7.5" wide.

I'm going to drop ours using TSW (Texas Speed Works) springs which come in a kit from Way Motor Works. The stock springs are a bit...weak and bottom out far to easy. Replacing springs to improve ride and handling since I live in the land of pot holes the size of a Buick hood...

Old 05-22-2011, 07:45 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Stock mini rims are 17"x7" not 17"x7.5".

See this web site: http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?f...factory_wheels

Gen 2 does not have as many fitment issues with the 18" rims.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:19 AM
WildThang
4th Gear
Slinger is right...and I need more coffee...

Look around for photos of lowered MINIs. You can usually find out what springs they used, and any other suspension related mods.

If you get around to spring replacement, check the numbers on stocks springs, then check the numbers on aftermarket springs. Quite a difference and a it will make a huge change in ride and cornering.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:26 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WildThang
Slinger is right...and I need more coffee...

Look around for photos of lowered MINIs. You can usually find out what springs they used, and any other suspension related mods.

If you get around to spring replacement, check the numbers on stocks springs, then check the numbers on aftermarket springs. Quite a difference and a it will make a huge change in ride and cornering.
I am having my third which is rare for me for a Sunday. Feel brain detached this morning myself.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:34 AM
mini elli
Neutral
Thank you SOOOO much! I have the 2011 Mini Cooper S Convertible and I the tire that I had decided on was the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. I have the Sports Package on my mini..... Does that mean that I have the Sports Suspension?

I don't see it listed under the details of the sports package.

For springs I was thinking of either the MachV ones or the NM ones. Any thoughts with those regards combined w/ the stock suspension?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:19 AM
mini_macky
5th Gear
If going with a subtle drop (stock shocks) I think I would get 17s so I'd have a little more sidewall for comfort and at the same time reduce the wheelgap