Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Anyone know what make/model wheels these are?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 01:00 PM
dandp
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. So Hamann, HRE, OZ & BBS are all making grandpa wheels in your opinion? Regardless of price - what wheels make an impact on you and on what cars?

Old 02-03-2004, 01:34 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
No. Not all the wheels are grandpa wheels; some are just ugly or extremely boring and unimaginative. BBS has to be the reigning king of grandpa wheel manufacturers though. This wheel

is the very essence of grandpa-wheeldom. It is right at the axis of grandpa and Euro. The design is too reminiscent of the hub caps that many a grandpa has had on his El Dorado. Why pay money for that?

Hamann's weigh as much as they cost, which seems ridiculous to me. I haven't seen anything by HRE or OZ that I would actually like to buy, not that I might not end up settling for something by either of them.

The old Torque Thrust D wheel with the magnesium center was a wheel I kind of used to like, but even that would look neutered with the required offset for the MINI and would probably weigh a ton.

I like the Campagnolo wheels on Panteras. They would not look good on a MINI.

Old 02-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Miniphyter808
3rd Gear
well if you don't like "grandpa" wheels....

what about "young kid" wheels

Old 02-03-2004, 02:27 PM
rfibanez
Banned
>> Those wheels look awful on the car. I wish these wheel manufacturers would quit marketing Grandpa wheels for the MINI as if they were cool. The lines on those wheels are way to sharp, and the overall design is far too conservative.

I hope you are kidding...if only you knew anything about the company that made those wheels. They're only one of the best wheel manufacturers in Japan...maybe even better then Rays Engineering/Volk( but I won't get into that :smile:

Miniphyter808, it took me a minute to realize what those 'spokes' were on the 2nd wheel

Old 02-03-2004, 02:47 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
>>>> Those wheels look awful on the car. I wish these wheel manufacturers would quit marketing Grandpa wheels for the MINI as if they were cool. The lines on those wheels are way to sharp, and the overall design is far too conservative.
>>
>>I hope you are kidding...if only you knew anything about the company that made those wheels.

I'm not kidding. I know that the wheels look like crap and look like grandpa wheels. Pontificate about BBS all you want; the wheels still look like retro-70's-El-Dorado-hub-caps.

>>They're only one of the best wheel manufacturers in Japan...maybe even better then Rays Engineering/Volk( but I won't get into that ). Know your facts before you go calling someones wheels grandpa wheels.
>>

Try looking up the term subjective and then try to determine how knowing facts about BBS can make their wheels more aesthetically pleasing. My comments were about the wheels looking horrible and were not about quality. What facts need to be known when this

is an overwrought design that doesn't flatter any car (except maybe something exceedingly boxy)? Why use manufacturer worship to rationalize buying ugly wheels?

Here's a thought: How about if BBS applies their quality to making a wheel that would look good on a car? It is theoretically possible.

Old 02-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Miniphyter808
3rd Gear

>>Miniphyter808, it took me a minute to realize what those 'spokes' were on the 2nd wheel
>>

On those rims they're not "spokes" they're just "pokes"

Old 02-03-2004, 03:16 PM
dandp
6th Gear
rfibanez is actually referring to the original wheels in question regarding the quality, etc., NOT the BBS wheels you posted. In any event, it is pointless to argue aesthetics. I may find Shu Qi (babe in The Transporter) to be very attractive, others may prefer Halle Berry. Some like Rolexes, others like Omegas. Both are fine quality, but some wouldn't be caught dead with them (the watches or the women, take your pick)

Old 02-03-2004, 03:24 PM
twstlvr
3rd Gear
I'm starting to see how someone could mistake the BBS style wheels for the 70's El Dorado hubcaps. I apologize for my inabilities to distinguish this earlier.

Old 02-03-2004, 04:16 PM
cdconsor
4th Gear
>>Try looking up the term subjective and then try to determine how knowing facts about BBS can make their wheels more aesthetically pleasing.

Interesting that you ask for a definition to "subjective" then roll out your "opinion" as if it were fact. I think those wheels look great (in addition to being light and strong).

Old 02-03-2004, 05:25 PM
DancesWithCones
3rd Gear
You guys are funny.

Tirerack use to sell those bear wheels back in 1989. I use to tease my wife (now-ex) about putting them on the CRX Si. Shame they only came in 14" size.

Old 02-03-2004, 10:55 PM
rfibanez
Banned
Heres another place that sells Work wheels

Work

mcs22004 dont click on the link, we wouldn't want you to be offended by all the ugly wheels

Old 02-04-2004, 05:46 AM
mcs22004
5th Gear
>>>>Try looking up the term subjective and then try to determine how knowing facts about BBS can make their wheels more aesthetically pleasing.
>>
>>Interesting that you ask for a definition to "subjective" then roll out your "opinion" as if it were fact. I think those wheels look great (in addition to being light and strong).
>>
>>

I gave my opinion and didn't state it was a fact. You did the same thing in the quote above. Somehow the definition of subjective has not resonated here. I guess all the English it a bit tough.

In any case, I can see that I've offended the BBS pro bono marketing crowd, so I'll agree and say that since BBS is known for making high quality wheels, that fact--in and of itself--automatically makes all their wheels gorgeous. You guys can be right; they're the best-looking wheels ever.

Old 02-04-2004, 12:42 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They take 8-10 weeks to get, they are the same price.

let me know

Alex

Old 02-04-2004, 01:00 PM
cdconsor
4th Gear
>>I gave my opinion and didn't state it was a fact. You did the same thing in the quote above. Somehow the definition of subjective has not resonated here. I guess all the English it a bit tough.

Yeah I guess English is a bit tough to wrangle. Nevertheless, nowhere in any of your rants did you have the courtsey to say "in my opinion". You make blanket statements like:

>>I know that the wheels look like crap and look like grandpa wheels.

>>What facts need to be known when this is an overwrought design that doesn't flatter any car (except maybe something exceedingly boxy)?

>>You all are well within your right to believe that those wheels are cool.

>>Everyone seems to go out of the way to make boring, many-spoked wheels/BBS knockoffs and claim that they're cool just because they are similar to ones found on BMWs. Well, they look like hell on those cars, too. It's really a testament to the value of good marketing that people can be made to believe that wheels that are either tremendously boring or just plain hideous look good.

Now I'm no English major or anything but those seem like objective statements to me. Bottom line, I like 'em, you don't.

Peace.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:32 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
>>>>I gave my opinion and didn't state it was a fact. You did the same thing in the quote above. Somehow the definition of subjective has not resonated here. I guess all the English it a bit tough.
>>
>>Yeah I guess English is a bit tough to wrangle. Nevertheless, nowhere in any of your rants did you have the courtsey to say "in my opinion".

Given that it was both my post and about something as subjective as the appearance of wheels, there was no need to qualify it with "in my opinion", as even the semi-literate should be able to ascertain. Of course it was my opinion. If not, I would have qualified it with "<your_god_here> has spoken to me and decreed that these wheels look..." or "nine out of ten wheel aestheticists have said that these wheels look..." or something else to obviate that it was not my own opinion.

>>You make blanket statements like:
>>
>>>>I know that the wheels look like crap and look like grandpa wheels.
>>
>>>>What facts need to be known when this is an overwrought design that doesn't flatter any car (except maybe something exceedingly boxy)?
>>
>>>>You all are well within your right to believe that those wheels are cool.
>>
>>>>Everyone seems to go out of the way to make boring, many-spoked wheels/BBS knockoffs and claim that they're cool just because they are similar to ones found on BMWs. Well, they look like hell on those cars, too. It's really a testament to the value of good marketing that people can be made to believe that wheels that are either tremendously boring or just plain hideous look good.
>>
>>Now I'm no English major or anything...

Just being able to understand the language doesn't require a degree in English. A rudimentary understanding would have done the trick.

>>...but those seem like objective statements to me.

They aren't. They're my opinion. Try looking up objective and seeing how it applies to posts on a message board regarding the appearance of something.

>>Bottom line, I like 'em, you don't.
>>
>>Peace.
>>

I've already conceded that BBS-lovers can be right about how the wheels look.

Old 02-04-2004, 02:25 PM
cdconsor
4th Gear
My bad. Those are obviously subjective comments. I guess I interpreted the tone as being authoritative rather than strictly opinion. Guess I'll enrole in remedial english.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:08 PM
rfibanez
Banned
wah wah wah you dont like the wheels so everyone stop crying...I believe you hijacked the thread. Lets get back on topic here.

Old 02-05-2004, 05:43 AM
mcs22004
5th Gear
>>wah wah wah you dont like the wheels so everyone stop crying...I believe you hijacked the thread. Lets get back on topic here.

Topic title: "Anyone know what make/model wheels these are?"
First reply: "I found them. They are the Work VS-XX."

Maybe we could analyze why they are Work VS-XXs or what the ramifications for society are as a result of these being Work VS-XXs, as not to hijack the topic. Anyone who likes the wheels who is not crying yet should check out the price.

How much do they weigh?

Old 02-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
giving this thread a little "cool down time"

lets keep it on informational track, not personal attack.

If your into discussing wheel designs and their appeal, start it as a topic.

Alex