Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Anyone Go With A Higher Profile Tire When Replacing Run Flats???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:52 PM
highlander709
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Go With A Higher Profile Tire When Replacing Run Flats???

I have the 205/45 17 run-flats on my 11 MCS. They are okay, but I plan to go with all season regular tires when the time comes. I am thinking about going with a higher profile 205/55R17 or 205/50R17. First, the non run-flats should be more comfortable. Second, the higher profile should help absorb potholes, etc. a little better. Third, the slightly larger diameter tire should fill out the wheel well opening a little better without going the lowering route resulting in more of a "rally" inspired solution than "street" inspired solution. Finally, the larger tire should make the 3-4 mph speedometer error less so. Thoughts and feedback please. Has anyone else tried something like this?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
I haven't, but plenty of others have gone either up one profile size, or down one. Some increase width at the same time. The 205/55/17 would be about 1.5" larger in diameter than your OE size, and the A/S tire selection in that size is very slim. Many probably wouldn't advise going that much taller anyway. The 205/50/17 would be about .8" larger in diameter than your OE size, and you'd have a much wider selection of tires to choose from.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:45 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you just want a slight increase go a bit wider with the same profile, i.e. 215/45/17 is about 0.3 inch larger in diameter. A 225/45/17 is about 0.7 inch larger in diameter. This may be a less radical approach to getting a bit softer sidewall without increasing the diameter by a large amount. Check TireRack specs on the tires you are looking at vs. dimensions of OEM tires. The 205/50/17 approach mentioned above may be a good option as well.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:54 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by highlander709
I have the 205/45 17 run-flats on my 11 MCS. They are okay, but I plan to go with all season regular tires when the time comes. I am thinking about going with a higher profile 205/55R17 or 205/50R17. First, the non run-flats should be more comfortable. Second, the higher profile should help absorb potholes, etc. a little better. Third, the slightly larger diameter tire should fill out the wheel well opening a little better without going the lowering route resulting in more of a "rally" inspired solution than "street" inspired solution. Finally, the larger tire should make the 3-4 mph speedometer error less so. Thoughts and feedback please. Has anyone else tried something like this?
Just changing to non runflats will be helping ride comfort by itself.

Your options are to stick with 45 series tires and choose
205/45-17 or 215/45-17 as these would give the best selection of tires.
215/45-17 is a little taller than stock.

205/50-17 is possible but it is quite tall. Even though it will fill out the wheel well and reduce gap it will look taller than stock so the proportion of tire will increase and it will raise ride height a little- good for clearance but not aggressive looking- more like an SUV. 205/55-17 is not a good choice.

The ultra High Performance All season tires are fairly soft riding even in 45 series sidewalls, they have good treadwear and good enough handling to fit a MINI for street use in any weather except deep snow. Continental ExtremeContact DWS is a good example. 540 treadwear

For that tire-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS
205/45-17 $117 each 24.3" tire diam.
205/50-17 $131 each 25.1" tire diam.
215/45-17 $116 each 24.6" tire diam.
225/45-17 $126 each 25" tire diam.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 PM
miniscool
2nd Gear
I just purchased 215/45/17's Yokahama S drives, was thinking like you to fill out the wheel well a bit more than the 205's did. I think the 215/45/17 accomplishes this and agree with the earlier posts that something with 50's would be too tall! The 215/45/17 looks substantial enough for this car! Here are pictures---

Old 07-10-2011, 12:58 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are sticking with stock wheels then don't worry about this but, if you get aftermarket wheels you need to watch your offset as you increase your chances of rubbing.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:02 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree with the comments on the 215/45 size as the best for summer driving. In the winter, perhaps the 205/45 should give you better traction.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:13 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
I replaced my 195/55-16 Conti RunFlats with Hankook Eco K112s in the 205/55-16 size. This provided me with several benefits that you mentioned:

1) Much better ride quality. The Hankooks are MUCH quieter and smoother riding than the Contis. I did give up a wee bit of immediacy on the turn-in. I noticed this quite a bit the 1st day or so. After that, I got used to it. And, once the tires "broke-in", their turn-in has improved a bit.

2) Less speedo error. My new tires are spec'd. at 831 RPM. The original Contis are spec'd at 844 RPM. My speedo error is now down to appox. 2% from the original 5% optimistic.

3) Wet weather performance is incredible. The Hankooks are amazing in the rain, they really give superb grip and feel. Defintiely better than the Contis.

4) Because the tires are a bit taller than the Contis, they fill out the wheel wells better. Looks nice and absolutely no issues with clearance.

I'd say you should go for it, I'm very happy with my new tires and I will never go back to the run-flats...

Old 07-17-2011, 07:04 PM
simplybao
3rd Gear
I never owned runflats so I can't compare the ride with them. I had the dealer swap out the RF for 215/45/17 Conti DWS and am really happy with them. I can remember the test drives with the RF tires and I could feel every expansion joint and bump in the road. Now, the ride is nice. I'm not going to say it rides like an old fleetwood cadi but it is very nice IMO.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Bob4
2nd Gear
RLW
What do you and others that have dropped the RFT do about a flat ?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
AAA, plugs, slime and compressor.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:29 PM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2009 Mini Cooper-S Hardtop. It came with the popular Goodyear Excellence ROF Run Flat tires (195-55R-16 87V RF MC).

The car has 17,000 miles at this point and I am considering changing tires. The fronts are somewhat worn, the rears have good tread still.

I'm becoming paranoid reading comments and reviews in regards to the Goodyear "Excellence" model tires not holding up well, as well as being loud and hard ride.

However I wish to remain with run-flat tires at this point. I prefer the advantage of being able to drive in the event of a puncture/flat. I am in a wheelchair and can not risk getting out to deal with a damaged tire.

I have researched the following brand/model run-flat tires:
1. Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position Run Flat
205-55-R16 91HRF BW
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...91030&pc=36266

2. Continental ContiProContact Run Flat
195-55-R16 87V BMW RF
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...v=false&cs=195

I am wondering if there are other, more improved, models out there?

I really like the new Bridgestone's, but I notice they only come in H speed rating. I would prefer V or Z. Are there any out there?

Old 07-20-2011, 05:24 PM
AXO
5th Gear
I would be curious to see what 50 or 55 series tires looks mounted on a Mini. Anyone have any pics?

Old 07-20-2011, 06:34 PM
simplybao
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bob4
RLW
What do you and others that have dropped the RFT do about a flat ?
I guess I'll call AAA or MINI roadside assistance and have it flat bedded somewhere. And I'm going to keep a bottle of slime and a tire plug in my car. I haven't gotten around to picking that stuff up yet, but will shortly.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:51 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Negative on the 50's or 55's in 17's

to the OP: look carefully at the clearance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the spring perch. I don't think you could accomodate tires that are substantially different in diameter like you are thinking about.

Why/how do I sense that? Well I have a 2010 S coupe w/ 17's (and the factory sport suspension), and likewise quickly ditched the run flats. In my case I went the 225/45-17 non run flat approach. Fit fine w/ no rubbing, look good/meaty, perform really well. Much smoother than the RF's, probably most due to the non-RF conversion, and to a lesser extent the somewhat taller side wall I now have. For reference, it cleaned up the majority (not all) of the speedo error issue too. Then in turn the reason I sense the 50's (and by a country mile) the 55's are going to be a no go, is on mine that clearance between the tire and the spring perch just above is already tight--1/2" or less. Basically already tight enough for example that I don't think even narrow clearance cable chains would fit reliably (I am in SF Bay Area, so doesn't matter and I have other snow cars). I suspect as the tire diameter goes up, it will likely rub on the front fender liner too when you turn the wheels to full lock; again mine clears but is now very close. Take a look at yours at stock and then look at tire diameters in the TireRack specs (listed for most tires); I think you will see the practical problem.

If you still really want the 50 series ride, you could also drop down to 16's on an S and still clear the stock brakes. Here in Bay Area anyway, OEM 16 take offs don't seem very hard to find; condition varies from very clean to older and scratched up.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:57 AM
AXO
5th Gear
Originally Posted by simplybao
I guess I'll call AAA or MINI roadside assistance and have it flat bedded somewhere. And I'm going to keep a bottle of slime and a tire plug in my car. I haven't gotten around to picking that stuff up yet, but will shortly.
I did the slime thing to my Run Flat, Flat. Several months now, with no issue. I believe it was $9.00 total and took 15 minutes to fix

Old 07-26-2011, 03:46 PM
BP K9 Miami
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rlw
I replaced my 195/55-16 Conti RunFlats with Hankook Eco K112s in the 205/55-16 size. This provided me with several benefits that you mentioned:

1) Much better ride quality. The Hankooks are MUCH quieter and smoother riding than the Contis. I did give up a wee bit of immediacy on the turn-in. I noticed this quite a bit the 1st day or so. After that, I got used to it. And, once the tires "broke-in", their turn-in has improved a bit.

2) Less speedo error. My new tires are spec'd. at 831 RPM. The original Contis are spec'd at 844 RPM. My speedo error is now down to appox. 2% from the original 5% optimistic.

3) Wet weather performance is incredible. The Hankooks are amazing in the rain, they really give superb grip and feel. Defintiely better than the Contis.

4) Because the tires are a bit taller than the Contis, they fill out the wheel wells better. Looks nice and absolutely no issues with clearance.

I'd say you should go for it, I'm very happy with my new tires and I will never go back to the run-flats...
Nice...I've been looking at the 225/55/R16's to replace my 195/55/R16 Bridgestone RFT's...

One additional question? Did you stay with a 87V or higher speed rating?

Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
BP_K9_ miami wondered:
"One additional question? Did you stay with a 87V or higher speed rating? "

As a matter of fact, the Hankooks have a 94V rating, their full designation is 205/55-ZR16. So, they are Z-speed rated and they are also XL rated - eXtra Load.

225/55-16 is gonna be a pretty tall tire, you may have clearance isues. If possible, I think you should stick to 215/55 or 205/55. I think the 215/55 size would eliminate all of the optimistic speedo error. However, the Hankkok's are not available in that size.

The Continental DWs are available in that size and those are supposed to be awesomely good tires. $109 ea. at TireRack.com.

Let us know what you end up doing....

Old 08-07-2011, 10:31 AM
SkinnyMini99
Neutral
2012 Mini Run-Flats

Hi all, I currently have a 2005 Mini Convertible, and trading it in for a 2012. The tragedy here is that Mini has done away with the spare tire option, and only offering run-flats. I'm interested in this rack. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback on it http://bit.ly/rbhELL I will do anything to not ride run-flats again.

Completely stunned that the spare tire option is no longer an option, I've started a Facebook group for it called Mini Cooper: Spare Us The Run Flats. Not sure it will get Mini's attention, but I'm bewildered by their decision as these tires are fragile and unpopular.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:36 PM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
I have a 2009 Mini Cooper-S Hardtop Coupe. It is nearly 3 years old at this point. Has been a great car so far. I've owned two Acura Integra's previously, the Mini has been a step-up in performance for me, a more precision-like feel.

My Mini came with Goodyear Excellence Run-Flat tires (195-55-16), they have approx. 17000 miles-plus at this point. I'm noticing the fronts have significant wear at this point, while the rear's have very good tread remaining. Overall, while the run-flats seem to provide a harder ride comparing to conventional Z-rated models I've used on my Integra's, they are generally smooth riding on highways and offer a decent balance of comfort and handling. I have'nt mearsured tread wear, but I'm figuring my fronts will need to be changed by 22000 to 25000 miles at best. Guess this is poor tire performance in regards to overall wear (less than 30k miles)? But seems many similiar owners have had much worse user experiences?

My dealer (Mini Of Universal City, Calif) offered the nitrogen option at purchase (@ $300.00) which I now sort of question? I'm finding that very few tire shops or dealers are equipped with a nitrogen generator for inflating tires. Even my dealer has now limited access to their nitrogen generator as it has been moved to an off-site service center location (it's a hassle enough driving out to my dealer to have tires topped-off maybe once every month or two). I was told by my dealer to go to any CostCo tire center and that they are equipped with nitrogen generators, which I have used (for free so far). I make a point to keep my tires inflated as frequently as possible (38 to 40 PSI), I believe this has yielded me max wear on these tires.

I will probably continue to use run-flats as I am in a wheelchair and can not risk getting out of my car to screw around with a flat tire on the highway.

I will either stick with the Goodyear Excellent models (@ $261.00 per tire), or switch to the Continental ContiProContact Run Flat (@ $181.00 per tire).
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...91030&pc=30134
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...91030&pc=30134

Also Bridgestone has come out with new 2nd-generation run-flat technology: Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position Run Flat

Only thing, wish these tires were Z-rated

Old 08-08-2011, 05:47 PM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SkinnyMini99
Hi all, I currently have a 2005 Mini Convertible, and trading it in for a 2012. The tragedy here is that Mini has done away with the spare tire option, and only offering run-flats. I'm interested in this rack. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback on it http://bit.ly/rbhELL I will do anything to not ride run-flats again.

Completely stunned that the spare tire option is no longer an option, I've started a Facebook group for it called Mini Cooper: Spare Us The Run Flats. Not sure it will get Mini's attention, but I'm bewildered by their decision as these tires are fragile and unpopular.
yeah, I have a 2009 Mini Cooper-S Coupe, it came with the famous Goodyear Excellence run-flat's (195-55-16). I'm begginning to question these tires as well, mostly in regards to wear. I don't mind the harder ride so much. My main concern is potential fragility. Also price is rediculous.

However these are all first-generation run-flat technology, I would hope for major improvements in near future

Also would like to see Z-rated models come around.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:48 PM
SkinnyMini99
Neutral
I'm torn about getting the 2012 Mini simply because of standard run-flats / no room for a spare.

Does anyone have any input regarding the RTFs that come with the 2012s? If I have to pick, I'd choose the all-season tires.

I understand Mini offers a $500 insurance plan for the tires. Wondering if it's worth it. Anyone have any experience with this?

Old 08-09-2011, 08:11 AM
WestCoastD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SkinnyMini99
I'm torn about getting the 2012 Mini simply because of standard run-flats / no room for a spare.

Does anyone have any input regarding the RTFs that come with the 2012s? If I have to pick, I'd choose the all-season tires.

I understand Mini offers a $500 insurance plan for the tires. Wondering if it's worth it. Anyone have any experience with this?
I would'nt base my choice to purchase a new Mini on the fact that it has run-flat tires. The Mini's are exceptionally designed, built and performing vehicles.

You can choose to switch to conventional tires if you so desire (combined with an on-board portable pump and "Slime" compound to temporarily repair flat). A lot of owners have gone with this option and seems to provide sense of security (as much as having a spare tire). This way you open yourself up to a bigger world of tire selection and better pricing.performance.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:48 AM
simplybao
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WestCoastD
I would'nt base my choice to purchase a new Mini on the fact that it has run-flat tires. The Mini's are exceptionally designed, built and performing vehicles.

You can choose to switch to conventional tires if you so desire (combined with an on-board portable pump and "Slime" compound to temporarily repair flat). A lot of owners have gone with this option and seems to provide sense of security (as much as having a spare tire). This way you open yourself up to a bigger world of tire selection and better pricing.performance.
Ditto. I had my dealer swap out my RF for Conti DWS 215/45 tires. I hope to not get a flat but if I do, I have MINI roadside assistance and AAA to help me out. The non-RF are cheaper too. I only paid $475 for all of my tires.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Neitherfanboy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by simplybao
Ditto. I had my dealer swap out my RF for Conti DWS 215/45 tires. I hope to not get a flat but if I do, I have MINI roadside assistance and AAA to help me out. The non-RF are cheaper too. I only paid $475 for all of my tires.
Okay, I admit to having known absolutely nothing about Mini Coopers before I bought mine 2 weeks ago (its a 2009 hardtop). Came home, started opening things, poking and prodding, and had to go online and google "where the heck is my spare tire?" LOL I had never even heard of "run flats" before!

Read many suggestions to dump the run flats, and was initially concerned about what happens when I have a flat. But then I started thinking, how many times in the last 10 years have I had a flat on any of the cars? Answer is never. So now I'm thinking AAA, pump, slime, and change those run flats to regular.

Quick Reply: Anyone Go With A Higher Profile Tire When Replacing Run Flats???