Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Federal 595 RS-R Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011 | 12:29 PM
MaverickGun
|
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Federal 595 RS-R Tires?

Has anyone tried these? I came across these while looking for some good track tires in 205/50-16 that I could possible procure locally for my stock R102 S-winders.

Before anyone says it, I understand that good tires for 16s seem to be hard to find. I also realize that Tire Rack has Dunlop Star Specs in 205/50-16, which is the size the I think I should be shooting for, but I'd like to avoid shipping costs if at all possible. Furthermore, I know that the R102s aren't really optimal track wheels, and that I should look at something else altogether such as 949racing's 6UL wheels in 15x7.5 (provided that they fit over the R56 Cooper S's calipers) or 15x8. Sadly that just isn't in the cards at the moment. R-comp tires are definitely out as well.

I've read about these Federals on some Evo forums where they've said some good things about them. Plus, they come in the size I'm looking for. I was looking at Toyo R1Rs, but those seem to have a reputation for heating up and getting greased quickly and being better for wet conditions. That, and they're actually a little more expensive then the Star Specs shipped. On the other hand, I can pick up the Federals locally for about $80 each before tax. At this point, the entire "you get what you pay for" adage comes to mind, but my mind keeps coming back to the positive comments I saw on the Evo forum. Normally I don't mind paying more for something that's better, and while it isn't my intention to cheap out the price of the Federals sure is attractive. Am I crazy for looking at these?

Old 08-22-2011 | 09:20 AM
MaverickGun
|
3rd Gear
... I think I'm probably crazy

I spent yesterday scrounging the internet for more feedback on these tires, and to be honest it was somewhat hard to find. It seems like generally those who have tried them like them fine. That being said, I've also read here that these heat up and grease way too quickly. That was really the only thread I was able to find with any real objective empirical data. In addition to that, according to the threads I've read these Federal RS-Rs seem notoriously hard to find.

While in the end these tires may be fine, I find myself hard pressed not to look at other brands. No sense in risking car, life, and limb on something that hasn't been adequately proven yet. That being said, If someone has any other comments on the Federals I'd be more the happy to hear them.

Last edited by MaverickGun; 08-23-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-06-2011 | 05:35 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
They're good. I've been wearing them in place of my yoko fitted S lites. Ride is a tad softer, good road grip & handling. Still observing tread life as they're still 4k miles old. So far, so good. Have had friends into drifting & AutoX giving em the 1

Old 12-20-2011 | 11:45 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Get them! From what I understand those tyres were supposed to come to the US but never did, several vendors got them in Florida and North East, but not in huge amounts. They have good comments about them in Australia though. For that price I would get them, they are supposed to be in the same league as the Extreme Summer tyre class at least, maybe bottom of the class, but hey at least they are in the same class?

Old 12-22-2011 | 10:30 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many of my automotive acquaintances run these tires on everything from EF civics to a 370z. Honestly, I always hear great things from them! The grip is strong, feedback is on par with class, and cost of replacement is much cheaper than Falken; let alone Yokohama or Toyo. I have ridden in a car equipped with them and the car rode very well.

I like the ability to drive in slightly cold and damp driving conditions and for that reason I went the UHPAS rout with the Kumho ASX. Strong grip and super crisp response. The ride is very compliant, the tire comes with a solid warranty out of the box, and is priced very well.

I used to run ventus RS2 and azenis rt615 on the street and the track. The one thing I can say about the Kumho is that it won't take track duty quite as well and tends to feather a bit under prolonged severe track use.

Old 01-06-2012 | 06:35 PM
noob23
Neutral
get them! super soft and sticky tires for handling. i had them on my old vehicle and love them. however tread life wasn't very long look to replace/rotate soon.