Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Runflats or normal tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011 | 12:39 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Neitherfanboy
Feel free to completely ignore my opinion. Please. Really. Is there an ingore feature? Please feel free to ignore any post I make.
Actually, I'm encouraging everyone else to ignore any post you make. Because you are utterly clueless.

Old 09-13-2011 | 01:04 PM
Neitherfanboy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Actually, I'm encouraging everyone else to ignore any post you make. Because you are utterly clueless.

Wow. You go from being offended at my joke to a personal attack. What a guy. You should feel great about yourself now.

Old 09-13-2011 | 01:14 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Neitherfanboy
Wow. You go from being offended at my joke to a personal attack. What a guy. You should feel great about yourself now.
Didn't you see all the laughing smilies? It is just a joke!!! Just like your original statement. You did say your original statement was just a joke, right? And you did say you can take a joke.

Old 09-13-2011 | 01:23 PM
Neitherfanboy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Didn't you see all the laughing smilies? It is just a joke!!! Just like your original statement. You did say your original statement was just a joke, right? And you did say you can take a joke.

I did say I could take a joke, so I will just take you as one.

Old 09-13-2011 | 01:35 PM
Ords
6th Gear
Considering I'm paying for the runflats when I purchased the MINI, I'm going to stick with them until I can't drive on them anymore. (I put on around 25K a year).

Having come from a Justa with 15"s, yes it's a different feeling (and handling) but I'm enjoying what I have now.

Old 09-13-2011 | 03:08 PM
HorseWithNoName
4th Gear
We have two 2011 mini cooper S’s both with sport packages (manual and automatic)

I replaced the runflats on both cars in the first week of ownership and wanted to share my take on runflats and changing tire sizes.

I believe the Runflats is a great product development and meet a defined niche in the market place, for those whose regular driving routine exposes them to areas where stopping for a flat is not an option due to personal safety concerns. (Commuting through questionable crime areas, extreme weather conditions, bridges and elevated highways without a shoulders) then runflats are differently for you.

If you have a nail flat and continue to drive on a runflat without pressure the tire will still overheat and need to be replaced, but the distant you can travel for convenience or safe haven on runflats without stopping will likely be 20 to 50 times further. If you have extreme tire damage it will not matter what kind of tire you have “you’re on the roadside”.

If you are on a road trip and need to replace a runflat “good luck”, the average tire dealer will not have a runflat in stock because it is a specialty product and who wants to kill a day a road trip waiting on a tire? I have been there with Mercedes SLK AMG and purchase a new set of Bridgestone 050 poles with full road hazard and road side support for the price of two runflats and the car never drove or handled so well.

If you want to counter size your tires, taller for ride, wider of traction (generalizing) your size choices are limited. I personal don’t meet the niche or require extended range flat tires but I did add a tire repair kit to both our cars upon removing the runflats. I like the Bridgestone 760 Sport in a 225 45 17 on our Cooper S Sport Packages because they substantially improved ride (softer sidewalls), reduce the likelihood of pothole rim damage (higher sidewall), reduce road noise (different thread pattern) , improved traction (1” wider) and puts the speedo dead on the numbers (.7” taller).

The mini’s mpg computer showed a 3 mpg fuel economy loss with the 225 45 17’s in the city with the taller tires, in reality that is not true since with the stock 205 45 17 the true speed and distance traveled is around 6% less than indicated. The true loss was 1.32 MPG in the city. On the highway the computer indicated the same fuel economy for a true gain of 4.2 mpg.

In the end it whatever works for you, I personally enjoy our mini’s more without them.

Last edited by HorseWithNoName; 09-15-2011 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-13-2011 | 07:28 PM
bakesonaplane
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ords
Considering I'm paying for the runflats when I purchased the MINI, I'm going to stick with them until I can't drive on them anymore. (I put on around 25K a year).

Having come from a Justa with 15"s, yes it's a different feeling (and handling) but I'm enjoying what I have now.
Those run flat tires aren't going to be the only thing that's changing the ride between a justa and a JCW. quite the leap you took there

Old 09-14-2011 | 07:50 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Play nice please.

Old 09-14-2011 | 02:04 PM
Teibito
2nd Gear
Found the best set of non-run flats for the MINI

If you hate runflats, want a performance tire, but need all season convenience, check out the Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS Pole Positions.

These tires have very good dry traction, excellent wet traction, very good cornering ability, and solid on center feel. I haven't had them in the snow yet, so I can't comment on that.

There are only two negatives. They squeel a little at the limits, both on cornering and hard braking. Also, the are a little on the pricey side.

I have had 2 MINIs, a 03 MCS and an 09 JCW. Having gone through many sets of tires, these are the best I have had on the cars.

Here are some photos of them on the car, front and back.

Attached Thumbnails Runflats or normal tires?-970r.jpg   Runflats or normal tires?-970f.jpg  
Old 09-14-2011 | 04:43 PM
Ween
3rd Gear
This is just anecdotal, but I drove a loaner '11 Justa with 16" non-run flats and the ride was incredibly smoother/nicer than in my '10 MCS with run flats. Not just a little nicer, *remarkably* nicer!

Now, was it the fact that it was a Justa vs. a MCS? A '10 vs. a '11? 16" vs. 17"? Or run flats vs. non-run flats? I don't know, but I wish my MSC's ride was a little closer to the loaner's...

Old 09-14-2011 | 04:48 PM
Neitherfanboy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Teibito
If you hate runflats, want a performance tire, but need all season convenience, check out the Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS Pole Positions.

These tires have very good dry traction, excellent wet traction, very good cornering ability, and solid on center feel. I haven't had them in the snow yet, so I can't comment on that.

There are only two negatives. They squeel a little at the limits, both on cornering and hard braking. Also, the are a little on the pricey side.

I have had 2 MINIs, a 03 MCS and an 09 JCW. Having gone through many sets of tires, these are the best I have had on the cars.

Here are some photos of them on the car, front and back.
Thank you for that tip. Looking to replace my RFs, will look into these!

Old 09-14-2011 | 07:23 PM
Teibito
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ween
This is just anecdotal, but I drove a loaner '11 Justa with 16" non-run flats and the ride was incredibly smoother/nicer than in my '10 MCS with run flats. Not just a little nicer, *remarkably* nicer!

Now, was it the fact that it was a Justa vs. a MCS? A '10 vs. a '11? 16" vs. 17"? Or run flats vs. non-run flats? I don't know, but I wish my MSC's ride was a little closer to the loaner's...
I too like to see how the other MINIs handle when I have a loaner while the JCW is at the dealer for some maintenance.

Here is what I have noticed. The smaller tires/rims makes the Justas feel more nimble. Less unsprung weight at the corners.

Assuming the car does not have the sport suspension option, the summer only runflats have the stiffest ride. All season runflats are in the middle. While the all season conventional tires have the softest ride.

I personally think the 16 inch wheels that come standard on the MCS is the best fit for that car.

Old 09-14-2011 | 10:02 PM
christomapher
|
4th Gear
I will do anything to get my Sterling to ride nicer... Chicago has horrible streets, so to be jarred less by switching to non-run flats would be a welcome change.

I just wonder how well fix-a-flat will work if I am on a road trip and in the middle of nowhere. Probably not so well with a blow out but enough to get me to a tire shop if I get a regular puncture?

Old 09-15-2011 | 06:27 AM
Teibito
2nd Gear
Here is what I do.

Originally Posted by christomapher
I just wonder how well fix-a-flat will work if I am on a road trip and in the middle of nowhere.
If you get non-runflats, I would recommend 'Slime' for the tire sealant. Then you also need a small air compressor that runs off the the 12v outlet. The whole setup costs about $60. If you take the styrofoam out of the jack storage area, you will have more than enought room for a can of Slime, the compressor and your jack. This should be sufficeint for around town mobility with non-runflats.

On long trips, I would recommend buying the spare tire (donut) that comes with a Cooper (about $150). It stows nicely upright in the boot with some bungee cords to hold it steady. Loop the bungee cords around the headrest posts and down to the cargo hooks.

Just be aware that the spare will not fit on the front, so if you get a flat there just rotate the rear tire to the front and put the spare on the rear. Come to think of it you would always want to do that since the car is front wheel drive and the best tires should be up front.

You will more than recoup the $200 by replacing the runflats with non-runflats which are usually much less expensive.

Happy motoring.

Old 09-15-2011 | 11:03 AM
Neitherfanboy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Teibito
If you get non-runflats, I would recommend ...
Thanks for this, I plan on getting non-RFs, this was very helpful!

Old 09-15-2011 | 01:26 PM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
So what do I do if I take out the tire n wheel protection plan?

Old 09-20-2011 | 06:03 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
When I purchased my first Mini in '02 I tested cars with 17" and 16" run-flat tires back to back....the 16" were significantly more comfortable. Then I switched to 16" standard all-season tires and the ride improved even more.
Within several months I purchased a donut spare from the dealer and keep it on the floor behind the passenger seat in a nicely made canvas bag ordered from The Bag Lady (njbaglady.com). It will also go directly into the boot of the '12 S Coupe that I'm expecting in a couple of weeks. Problem solved!

Old 12-20-2011 | 07:45 AM
djsequoia
1st Gear
Ug, 500 miles on my 2012 Cooper S and got a nail in a run flat. Yeah, it made the last 1/2 mile to my house easy but now how to I fix it? I called around and nobody will touch it because they either (a) claim they cannot be repaired or (b) won't because they need to take the tire off to repair (patch) and won't do that. So, feeling a bit screwed. Thank god, I still have my old car to get me to work while I figure out what to do with this tire.

And no, I'm not plugging it myself. It needs to be patched to be done properly. If it comes down to buying a new tire, I may because it is so new I will only have to replace this one (I assume). However, one more problem and I'm going with regular tires and carry a spare in the boot that I normally don't use anyway.

Old 12-20-2011 | 09:20 AM
Schmagagled
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gary87xj6
So what is everyone putting on their car that are not using RFT's?
I contacted Alex at Tirerack and he pointed me to Michelin Pilot Super Sport for summer aggressive driving tires. Any feedback on them?
I just yesterday bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus which is the all-season version of the Pilot Sport. But that was just yesterday! So it's a bit too early to tell.

BTW I have been running a "Plus 1" sizing since I dumped my original runflats. I run 215/45zr/17 instead of the 205s the car came with.

Prior to yesterday I had purchased (the last three times I bought tires) BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport in 215/45z/17 and they were great summer tires and good in the rain as well. I just wanted to try the Michelins this time around to see if they're better in the light winter snow we have here in north Alabama.

Schmagagled

Old 12-25-2011 | 09:05 PM
Ginvent
2nd Gear
The tire warranty has saved me 2 tires (nails) and a bent wheel. I'm on 17" conical wheels and all seasons run flats for my 11 mcs. Best warranty ever

Old 12-26-2011 | 05:46 AM
danigurrl
4th Gear
FWIW, I went into my Mini dreading the RF...and I don't think they're that bad. Maybe because every car I've ever owned has had some type of modified suspension work (which is usually a rougher ride) has desensitized me. I also have the factory sport suspension.

I'll ride these RFs bald (which will take a while, since I have a different set of winter tires,) but I haven't decided if I'll replace them with another set...mostly due to cost, not ride quality.

Old 12-26-2011 | 05:59 AM
fused
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by christomapher
This is very useful information. Thanks for those who have contributed!

So for those who have switched over to regular tires, did you just end up purchasing a steel spare wheel to put under the car? Mine did not come with a spare... I guess I could just switch to regular tires after I wear out the current ones...
I purchased the same exact wheel that is on the car, put non run flats on all wheels and put the spare one in the back.... The ride difference is huge...
It feels like the quality car that I had hoped I was buying.

Yeah, got rid of that "FlintStones" ride. No regrets, NONE!
Dumped them at 4k miles, couldn't stand them anymore.....

Thinking about buying a second cooper for my wife....
If it has to come with RF tires, no sale...
I will not be forced into buying that crap on my new car again....
Its a scam to force us, THE CUSTOMERS, to buy an option that we absolutely don't want..... WAKE UP MINI!!!!!!

Old 12-26-2011 | 07:08 AM
danigurrl
4th Gear
Originally Posted by djsequoia
Ug, 500 miles on my 2012 Cooper S and got a nail in a run flat. Yeah, it made the last 1/2 mile to my house easy but now how to I fix it? I called around and nobody will touch it because they either (a) claim they cannot be repaired or (b) won't because they need to take the tire off to repair (patch) and won't do that. So, feeling a bit screwed. Thank god, I still have my old car to get me to work while I figure out what to do with this tire.

And no, I'm not plugging it myself. It needs to be patched to be done properly. If it comes down to buying a new tire, I may because it is so new I will only have to replace this one (I assume). However, one more problem and I'm going with regular tires and carry a spare in the boot that I normally don't use anyway.
http://www.edmunds.com/driving-tips/...-a-primer.html

"Repairability — SST run-flat repair guidelines are nearly similar to those for standard tires. Michelin's PAX has more stringent repair procedures, including a warning that repairs can only be carried out at a "Michelin PAX System authorized servicing dealer." In either case, if the zero-pressure driving distance or speed is exceeded, the tire might need outright replacement. Furthermore, tire sealant-in-a-can leak repair products shouldn't be used, because they can foul many types of TPMS air-pressure sensors."

I never even thought of possibly ruining the TPMS with Fix-a-Flat.

Old 12-26-2011 | 10:46 AM
darwinian
2nd Gear
i just picked up my '11 mcs last week with rft and i hate the ride. i am buying regular tires and carry tire repair kit in mini. my question to all of you is

will the tire repair sealant damage the tire to such a state that the entire tire must be replaced for a new one? and will the tpms be affected to a point of unservicibility?

if these are asked previously, my apologies.

Old 12-26-2011 | 11:54 AM
danigurrl
4th Gear
Originally Posted by darwinian
i just picked up my '11 mcs last week with rft and i hate the ride. i am buying regular tires and carry tire repair kit in mini. my question to all of you is

will the tire repair sealant damage the tire to such a state that the entire tire must be replaced for a new one? and will the tpms be affected to a point of unservicibility?

if these are asked previously, my apologies.
If you use a sealant, like fix-a-flat, your TPMS is shot. It will have to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Runflats or normal tires?