Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

MCS Spare...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Eastbaybrit
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For all of you that have replaced your 17" runflats with non-runflats, what do you do about a spare? Do you just have a cell phone handy and hope for the best, or what?

Old 02-10-2004, 12:11 PM
hafid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keep a small air compressor in the boot.....but keep a full size fifth wheel/tire at home. if i go on a trip out of town, i'll bring it with me...otherwise, if I get a flat, I'll just get a tow home of have someone get me to get my extra wheel/tire.

Old 02-10-2004, 12:18 PM
lotoole3
2nd Gear
Hmmm... good idea!

I'm in the process of ditching the runflats now. will have 2 leftover, as 2 are damaged. I'll have to scrounge around to see if I can pick up a spare rim...

Also, what compressor do you have, Eastbaybrit? I heard something about a dealer-supplied kit, but I'm not sure...

Old 02-10-2004, 12:21 PM
minimotorin
6th Gear
You can get a spare (cooper spare) from Classic Auto Campus for $120 and carry it around or a small battery powered compressor and a can of fix a flat.

Old 02-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Eastbaybrit
1st Gear
Are there any other 17" run-flats that anyone would recommend over the Pirelli's -I'm still not that comfortable with the idea of not having a spare, or carrying around a full size spare in my boot...

I've probably only got another 5,000 miles to go before I will need to replace the Pirelli's so I want to keep my options open!

Old 02-10-2004, 12:32 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
My Pirelli's gave up after about 30,000 miles - I grabbed a small compressor from Sear's ($20.00) that fits in the boot pocket on the right and a can of "Fix a Flat" that fits in the boot pocket on the left. I also have a cell phone and a AAA card - I'm pretty well covered if my Yoko's have any problems.

Old 02-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Eastbaybrit
1st Gear
>>My Pirelli's gave up after about 30,000 miles - I grabbed a small compressor from Sear's ($20.00) that fits in the boot pocket on the right and a can of "Fix a Flat" that fits in the boot pocket on the left. I also have a cell phone and a AAA card - I'm pretty well covered if my Yoko's have any problems.
>>
Point taken - stop stressing, right?!

Old 02-10-2004, 02:00 PM
lotoole3
2nd Gear
>>I'm pretty well covered if my Yoko's have any problems.

My situation exactly! I just ordered Yoko AVS ES100s... good balance of high performance and value, costing a less than a third of the Euphorias... these Pirellis keep denting in the sidewalls from all the potholes around Philly. I've had to replace four, about to replace two more on Friday... all unrepairable sidewall damage. Thank goodness for tire insurance..

Which Yoko's are you running? Initial impressions, before and after the runflats?

Old 02-10-2004, 02:08 PM
C4
Banned
Question, is it better just to carry an air compressor instead of a bulky spare tire? In the future I might consider moving to regular rubber, although I like my 16"Dunlop runflats so far. I can't think of taking valuable boot space just to be able to carry around a spare tire.

Old 02-10-2004, 02:14 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
a puncture kit is a good idea as well.

Old 02-10-2004, 02:15 PM
COOLBRZ
2nd Gear
You can also used a compact spare/mini spare from either a honda or acura,
they are 4 x 100 lug patterns, and I have taken one on trips, for just that reason.

Hope this helps..

Ed

Old 02-10-2004, 11:01 PM
motormad
3rd Gear
Consider getting a plug kit and an cigarette lighter plug in air compressor like you can find here:

PatchBoy

or here:
JC Whitney

There are other simialr products that will keep you rolling. Happy motoring!

Old 02-10-2004, 11:34 PM
motormad
3rd Gear
Even better yet to fix a flat please take a look what one of my motorcycle brotheren came up with. This modified kit would be the way to go with a longer cord and cigarette lighter adaptor installed. light weight and compact tire kit

used AeroStitch AirMan 12 V air compressor

and StopnGo plug kit

Old 02-11-2004, 12:20 AM
tigger
2nd Gear
Dear all sponsors and Mini businessmen...

Would it be possible to produce a mobile space saver that we can put in the garage on other days and will fit in our "gigantic" boot when needed (eg: longer trips)???

It will pack nicely in a "Mini" nylon bag or something...

Not sure if it is possible or practical, but please enlighten....

Old 02-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Aqualung
4th Gear
How *** you all are using an electric (12V) compressor? In early_apex's post, the link talks about using a bike pump ... seems like this would be lighter and cheaper to schlep around in the boot. A good quality one, I paid $50 or so for my road bike pump.

Old 02-11-2004, 05:53 PM
hafid
6th Gear
well bugger! my compressor crapped out on me today while filling up a neighbor's tire with air....smoke started coming out of it and the wire got slightly hot! piece of rubbish!

....off to buy another one...

Old 02-11-2004, 06:07 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the cheap $12 compressor from Wal-Mart. When it breaks, I will go buy an identical one, place the broken one in the new box and return it as the cheap plastic crap it is.

That is one of the few great things about Walmart. All the stores stock the exact same products and so replacing a broken thing is as easy as buying a new one and repackaging the old one. You would not believe how many car cell phone chargers I have gone through this way

SE Regional, BAMA Club Moderator: PM me

Old 02-11-2004, 06:28 PM
trixander
1st Gear

yeah, those small compressors need time to cool down between tires. depending on the amount of air you're putting into the tires, some brands recommend waiting 15 minutes between tires. definitely strain that little motor in the compressor if you're pumping up 4 tires back to back.

Old 02-13-2004, 10:22 AM
IanF
6th Gear
>>How *** you all are using an electric (12V) compressor? In early_apex's post, the link talks about using a bike pump ... seems like this would be lighter and cheaper to schlep around in the boot. A good quality one, I paid $50 or so for my road bike pump.

Please tell me you are not being serious. Have you ever tried pumping up a car tire with a bicycle pump? I have. I had a floor pump and it took an hour jsut to get it up to drivable pressure so we could drive to a garage. I cringe at the thought of ever doing it again.

:???:

Old 02-13-2004, 10:35 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I live dangerously - I drive with non-run-flats and NO spare tire or fix-a-flat provision! Since I don't plan on getting a flat, I don't bother worrying about it. hee hee

Old 02-13-2004, 10:45 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
fix-a-flat & a cell phone (roadside assistance & AAA)
and one day i'm gonna get a roadside tire repair kit

Old 02-15-2004, 12:43 AM
motormad
3rd Gear
Bicycle tire pumps on a car tire is possible, but not something I would like to do.

I have used electric pumps and have never had one burn out. But then I don't buy cheap Walmart crap. Some pumps designed for motorcycles are really compact and light weight. They will easily fit into the MINI without any problem. Infact the can take less space than a bicycle tire pump that could inflate a car tire in any reasonable time.

Old 02-15-2004, 07:13 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
A few points

--first, someone on this forum was selling a nylon bag to store a spare in. Look for the "Jerseygirl original" thread.

--second, there was a guy at the Atlanta pulley party who'd built a floor for the boot with a slot cut in it that the spare slid into, so that it was snugged up against the back seats. I know Randy had some pics (we were using his camera) of it. The cool thing was underneath the floor he'd put an amp. It was covered in a color-matched carpet and the whole thing looked factory. Very sano. (He had venting built in to keep the amp from overheating.)

--finally, I'd carry a plug kit and either a pump or compressor. You can buy small, reliable compressors that'll do the job, and a *full-size* bike pump'll work. (It takes about a dozen pumps to raise 2psi with a floor pump I use Autoxing.) If your tire is fragged by metal debris no amount of fix-a-flat or pumping is going to help it. Any punctures you should be able to take care of with a plug kit. You do carry pliers to pull out nails/sheetmetal/drywall screws that embed themselves in the tire, right?

Remember that the roadside assistance will bail you out if you're stranded.

Motor!

Jeff

Old 02-16-2004, 04:52 AM
Aqualung
4th Gear
>>>>How *** you all are using an electric (12V) compressor? In early_apex's post, the link talks about using a bike pump ... seems like this would be lighter and cheaper to schlep around in the boot. A good quality one, I paid $50 or so for my road bike pump.
>>
>>Please tell me you are not being serious. Have you ever tried pumping up a car tire with a bicycle pump? I have. I had a floor pump and it took an hour jsut to get it up to drivable pressure so we could drive to a garage. I cringe at the thought of ever doing it again.
>>
>> ....the later post about a motorcycle 12V seems like a good idea, those are certainly compact....will have to check out my local dealer, or does anyone have a good online motorcycle parts catalog?

Old 02-16-2004, 08:12 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
http://www.webbikeworld.com is the single best source of motorcycle-related gear. A link list, but good. It will no doubt lead you to http://www.riderwearhouse.com which has a tire tool section. (Someone linked to it earlier in this thread I believe.)

As to bike pumps--yes, it'd be painful to pump up a car tire, but it's doable. If you're buying a really cheap compressor, as someone has noted on this forum it can fail at the most inconvenient times. Buy something servicable if you're going that route.

Jeff