Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

OEM: 16" vs. 17" advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 05:47 PM
jonasandezekiel
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
If you now have the 17" R85 S-spoke (aka LeMans) that look like minilites; yes, they're about 25#.

I didn't know that you planned to get aftermarket 16" wheels; but, in that case, you can get wheels that are both lighter and wider (7"). Note that the Enkei Racing wheels for the MINI have an ET of 43, while the O.Z. HLTs have an ET of 37 (the ET of the OE wheels is 48). Thus, the O.Z.s will bring the wheel/tire out toward the fender lip about 6 mm more than the Enkeis.

If you intend to autocross in SCCA stock class, there seems to be only one wheel at Tire Rack that is 16X6.5"; the TRMotorsport CL. It's 14.4#, ET 44, and real cheap at $114.
So the TRMotorsports are 6.5"? Is that the widest that you know of? (Not planning on auto-xing it)
I haven't settled on on 16s, but it seems from the posts here, that everyone is satisfied with that size, and the comfort/performance/size quotient seems the most favorable. I'll also pay attention to the ET when looking for rims (I don't know what that stands for, but I assume you mean the offset) I forgot to factor that in for overall stability. Thanks.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
I have seen people successfully putting 215-45 and 225-40 (I think) x 17 on a Cooper. The 215's I am running look really good and handle well. I ran the Enkei with the 43mm offset and there was a good improvement in handling, but I did notice a bit more torque steer. The Enkei are only 14.5 # in 17" which is fantastic; 11# less than the S-lights I had. Lighter wheels will also improve the ride. Just another bonus. However, as a word of caution, as the wheels are moved out the torque steer will go up.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:17 PM
jonasandezekiel
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
I have seen people successfully putting 215-45 and 225-40 (I think) x 17 on a Cooper. The 215's I am running look really good and handle well. I ran the Enkei with the 43mm offset and there was a good improvement in handling, but I did notice a bit more torque steer. The Enkei are only 14.5 # in 17" which is fantastic; 11# less than the S-lights I had. Lighter wheels will also improve the ride. Just another bonus. However, as a word of caution, as the wheels are moved out the torque steer will go up.
If you're running 215s or 225s, I would think you'd have to modify the fender lip a little to accommodate that much width, correct?

Old 10-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Namikuz
2nd Gear
mass resistance

Originally Posted by gds194
Wheel size will not effect your mileage. The over all diameter of the tire/wheel combination is going to be the same, the sidewall is the difference. Rubber compounds will effect mileage, sticky compound will offer a higher rolling resistance=less MPG
15's of the same diameter as the 17's are lighter than the 17's and have, usually, a narrower aspect ratio thus, less rolling resistance and weight. Wheel size WILL effect milage and performance.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:28 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Does anyone know the weight of the 17" star bullet and the 17" conical spoke MINI rims?

Old 10-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by jonasandezekiel
If you're running 215s or 225s, I would think you'd have to modify the fender lip a little to accommodate that much width, correct?
The 215s fit with no problems. The wheels I have them on have a 45 mm offset. With those wheels, the 225s should fit (have not tried it though).

The 225s will be tight, but the car I saw them on that had problems had 38 mm offset wheels, lowered 2" and just started to rub. Personnally, for the street, I would stick with nothing less than the 43 mm offset.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:29 PM
jonasandezekiel
3rd Gear
The 215s fit with no problems. The wheels I have them on have a 45 mm offset. With those wheels, the 225s should fit (have not tried it though).

The 225s will be tight, but the car I saw them on that had problems had 38 mm offset wheels, lowered 2" and just started to rub. Personnally, for the street, I would stick with nothing less than the 43 mm offset.
So you like the 17s, eh? I'm trying to decide between 16-17". I figured the 16s would be lighter and more comfortable--and handle pretty damn close to the 17s in terms of responsiveness. The trade offs would be that the 17s LOOK nicer, and have slightly sharper turn-in. Don't know where you live, but I live in CT, where the roads can get pretty rough in the winter. I'm tired of getting my butt kicked by my car.....

Old 10-31-2011, 07:32 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Best thing you can do to stop the butt kicking is to ditch the run flats.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:46 PM
jonasandezekiel
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chaswyck
Best thing you can do to stop the butt kicking is to ditch the run flats.
Oh, I did that a looong time ago.....
I guess I just want a little more comfort, but don't want to give away any handling.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:59 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Oh, I did that a looong time ago.....
I guess I just want a little more comfort, but don't want to give away any handling.
We're all in search of Nirvana, but unfortunately we have to live with the tradeoffs. I feel that the much quieter and smoother ride is worth giving up just a little performance. My Mini hasn't been delivered yet, butI'm speaking from my experience with the 335i I just sold. Getting rid of the RF's was the single best thing I have ever done to improve any car I have ever owned. My Mini will not make it home from the dealer with the RF's on the car. I'll stop on the way home to have them replaced.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:45 PM
jonasandezekiel
3rd Gear
Agreed.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:52 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
jonas: Re your Post #26:

No, the 16X6.5 wheel is actually .5" narrower than most aftermarket 16" wheels for the MINI. But if you did intend to autocross in a SCCA stock class with 16" wheels, 6.5" is what you'd need to be legal. If you ran 17" wheels instead, they would need to be 7" wide to be legal. Since you don't plan to autocross, the 16X7" aftermarket wheels you already mentioned are good choices.

Yes, et = offset.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
So you like the 17s, eh? I'm trying to decide between 16-17". I figured the 16s would be lighter and more comfortable--and handle pretty damn close to the 17s in terms of responsiveness. The trade offs would be that the 17s LOOK nicer, and have slightly sharper turn-in. Don't know where you live, but I live in CT, where the roads can get pretty rough in the winter. I'm tired of getting my butt kicked by my car.....
Upstate NY...I feel your pain.
I run the 16" in the winter for just that reason.
The 17" are nice in the summer. I run the 215-45 which is a little taller than the stock 205. Also, the Potenza RE760 Sport are only an "ultra" summer tire. A little lower on the "food chain" than the likes of the RE-11s, which mean they are a little easier riding. The biggest difference for ride (other than getting rid of the RFTs) is a lighter wheel. The Yokohama AD08s that I had even road well with 14# wheels.

But, as for going with the 16"...I would say, go with them if your roads are that bad. Get a good summer or AS tire - I have the Potenza RE970AS Pole Position on my other Mini and they ride really well, quiet and handle great - and put them on a light weight wheel and you will love it. There are some great looking 16" wheels out there that are light weight...Oz come to mind. Also, with the 16" wheels you will be less likely to damage them on bad roads, another bonus.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:53 PM
jonasandezekiel
3rd Gear
Upstate NY...I feel your pain.
I run the 16" in the winter for just that reason.
The 17" are nice in the summer. I run the 215-45 which is a little taller than the stock 205. Also, the Potenza RE760 Sport are only an "ultra" summer tire. A little lower on the "food chain" than the likes of the RE-11s, which mean they are a little easier riding. The biggest difference for ride (other than getting rid of the RFTs) is a lighter wheel. The Yokohama AD08s that I had even road well with 14# wheels.

But, as for going with the 16"...I would say, go with them if your roads are that bad. Get a good summer or AS tire - I have the Potenza RE970AS Pole Position on my other Mini and they ride really well, quiet and handle great - and put them on a light weight wheel and you will love it. There are some great looking 16" wheels out there that are light weight...Oz come to mind. Also, with the 16" wheels you will be less likely to damage them on bad roads, another bonus.
I've had 17s since I bought the car, and after throwing the run-flats away and putting on summer tires, its been a lot better overall--handling, noise, comfort, you name it.

But, surprisingly, what got me really thinking that I need a wheel upgrade, was when I put on my WINTER tires (15") and steel wheels. I had forgotten how much their lighter weight totally transformed the car. EVERYTHING, except handling, was better. They accelerated so much better, braked better, and BOY are they comfortable.

So, while I want to get 17s, I'm not sure I can stand it based on living here in CT, and unless something radical changes my mind, I will be getting new 16" rims shortly. Tire Rack has a great sale on Enkeis right now by the way.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:07 PM
H-Bomb
Neutral
Originally Posted by Chicago Cruzer
I believe the factory 17s only come with summer tiers. Depending where you are in Indiana you might want 16s with all seasons to start and then get a different setup for summer driving.
Maybe too late to help but...
Do NOT go with "all-season" tires on this car if you can help it. Just got done with my OEM ContiProContacts in 16" for my '08 Cooper. Those things should have come with a frickin' warning label and liability waiver form for use on snow. I live just west of Indy, and even the occasional snowfall we get was enough to make me deeply regret not getting summer and winter tires.

I grew up driving fine on snowy roads in northern WI with all-season tires, but there is something about the light car/wide stock Conti combo that is flat-out dangerous on snow. I've nearly gotten stuck in 2", and anything more than 1/4" of slush is really taking your life into your hands.

Just put Michelin X-Ice on my stock rims. Will be getting some 17" bling with non-RFTs come summer.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:07 PM
GoKickyFastOk
1st Gear
I went with the 16 for my mini, only because I didn't like the look of any of the 17s. For the extra cost I will just wait and if/when I decide to change I'll order exactly what I like. They do offer an extremely nice 5 spoke wheel but it's "coupe only" v_v,