Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Oh, the decisions! 16" vs. 17" and runflats vs. nonrunflats

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 11:49 AM
ohmab
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be ordering my MCS in August (for an '05) and I have posted a similar question on MINI2, but I am still confused! I don't think I have ever thought about tires soooo much! Do I go with the 16" tires or 17" tires? I test drove on 17", and I didn't think it was bad. Then there's the whole runflat question! Those darn runflats are incredibly expensive! And even more expensive in the 17" version. But, if you replace runflats with non-run flats do you have to replace the rims as well? HELP!!!! Thanks in advance!

Old 02-14-2004, 11:56 AM
acetonic
4th Gear
You can put non-runflats on the stock rims, so don't worry about that. You can also put any rims that will fit on your MINI and the runflat sensor will work just fine. It's not an air pressure monitoring system.

As for 16" vs. 17", it's really just your own preference. People swear they get better handling from the 17" and better ride quality from the 16" but it's all unscientific. I remember a UK car mag testing the grip on an S with 17's and a Cooper with 15's and the handling was the same.

I can vouch that you will get better ride AND handling by going with some high performance non-runflat tires, but it's not an earth shaking difference. I'd say go with what looks good to you and fits your budget. You will have a blast in any MINI.

Old 02-14-2004, 12:18 PM
gosharks
4th Gear
It's all personal preference, but the 16" set-up is lower weight and better ride quality. I just changed from the Dunlop all season runflats to Bridgestone S-03's (non runflat) after 12k miles, and the difference is amazing. The problem with the runflat stiff sidewalls is they are just not very forgiving over any kind of rough road conditions, especially transitions on over passes, and of course pot holes. With 17" rims, you have not only a weight penalty, but if you live in a place that has fairly rough roads, you will really pay for it in every day driving.

Old 02-14-2004, 01:04 PM
D.J.
6th Gear
>>It's all personal preference, but the 16" set-up is lower weight and better ride quality. I just changed from the Dunlop all season runflats to Bridgestone S-03's (non runflat) after 12k miles, and the difference is amazing. The problem with the runflat stiff sidewalls is they are just not very forgiving over any kind of rough road conditions, especially transitions on over passes, and of course pot holes. With 17" rims, you have not only a weight penalty, but if you live in a place that has fairly rough roads, you will really pay for it in every day driving.

I agree with gosharks. I took off my runflats and went with Yokohamas. Very good ride and also good in the rain.

Old 02-14-2004, 04:17 PM
C4
Banned
I ordered my '04 MCS with the stock R84 16" Dunlop DSST SP5000 runflats and V-spoke silver wheels. Best ride, best handling and best of all they are not extremely low profile = less likehood of tire/rim damage in potholes or accidental curb kisses

Old 02-14-2004, 06:28 PM
ohmab
1st Gear
I think that I have made the big tire decision. But, feel free to post more thoughts. I'm going to go with the standard 16" runflats, and see how I like them. Switch over to non runflats if need be later. I just don't see the worth of paying more for the 17" runflats, either through the sports package or on there own. I'm not going to be racing , the roads in my area are not too bad, a combination of somewhat rural and highway driving. I just want to have fun! Now if I could just decide on the color! I'm hoping the Blackeye Purple is going to be available on the S!

Old 02-15-2004, 04:54 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
moved to Tires, Wheels & Brakes Forum...by d-mini-ero

Old 02-15-2004, 06:02 AM
C4
Banned
>>I think that I have made the big tire decision. But, feel free to post more thoughts. I'm going to go with the standard 16" runflats, and see how I like them. Switch over to non runflats if need be later. I just don't see the worth of paying more for the 17" runflats, either through the sports package or on there own. I'm not going to be racing , the roads in my area are not too bad, a combination of somewhat rural and highway driving. I just want to have fun! Now if I could just decide on the color! I'm hoping the Blackeye Purple is going to be available on the S!

Excellent choice!. Unfortunately, as for the Blackeye Purple color, it will be exlusive only to the Cabriolet models.

Old 02-15-2004, 08:48 AM
ohmab
1st Gear
I'm hoping the Blackeye Purple is going to be available on the S!
>>
>>Excellent choice!. Unfortunately, as for the Blackeye Purple color, it will be exlusive only to the Cabriolet models.

Are you sure? In reading the posts on MINI2 and on the Bridger site, it appears that the Hot Orange and Cool Blue are Cabriolet exclusive, but they kinda leave Blackeye Purple out there as if it may be available across the board. My dealer did say that it also could end up only being released in the UK to start.