Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

16x7 wheel/tire packages--Update w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 01:38 PM
friedduck
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've put off buying long enough, and a MINI-only SCCA school is coming up. Time to ante up and buy some wheels and tires.

If you know of good packages available that I ought to check out pls. let me know. I *have* to buy in the next two weeks. (The original runflats are finally shagged. I ended up getting 20k miles out of them, which all things considered is a miracle.)

I can't/won't do 17" wheels, but would even consider 15s if someone could convince me that on-track handling wouldn't suffer too much. (I commute through the most pot-holed streets of Atlanta.)

Come on guys--let's hear whatcha got!

Finally mounted, balanced and aligned. The pics are here until the galleries are back-up.

TIA, Jeff

Old 02-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
If you are planning to track the car or do any Solo 2 events I would recommend checking out the Solo2 forums here on the site. Also, Alex with Tire Rack is very knowledgeable so be sure to look in the Tire & Wheel forum. If you are planning to compete in a Solo 2 stock class then I highly recommend the SSRs that Tire Rack helped bring to market which are stock offset in 16" sizes. You can check them out by clicking HERE.

Good luck with your search

Mark

mferguson@northamericanmotoring.com :: Send me a PM

Old 02-14-2004, 02:46 PM
FWD-MX5
4th Gear
I am up to the challenge- mix and match-
Tires
Falken Azeni (non r-compound) 215/45 16 $110
Kumho Ecsta V700 205/45 16 $133
Hoosier A3S03 215/40 16 $180
Hoosier A3S04 205/45 16 $184
Wheels
Kazera KZU $119 17.2#
Kosei K1 (16x7.5) $159 15.0#
SSR Comps $295 11#
Volk TE 37 $450 11.2#

Old 02-14-2004, 04:50 PM
friedduck
4th Gear
I'm an idiot--I just went looking for updates and realized that I'd posted in Marketplace (been looking for used wheels, natch.)

Mark, Dennis, et al--can one of you move this over to Tires/wheels for me?

I appreciate the suggestions--keep 'em coming!

Jeff

Old 02-14-2004, 05:04 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
No problem...moving to Tire and Wheel

Mark

Old 02-15-2004, 11:52 AM
jazmini
4th Gear
Hey friedduck,

For a picture of some 15 inch Volks, you can look at the thread labeled, NEW WHEELS, by FWD-MX5. They look really great. As he is racing in a certain class, he cannot lower the car, but if you were to get them or another light 15 inch wheel and lower your car it would look even better. I don't know how they compare to 16 inch wheels on potholes, but it could be a wash. For example, with a larger diameter wheel, the wheel would not drop into the hole as much. However, I would think that a smaller diameter wheel would be stronger, i.e., the smaller the diameter the stronger, and the wider the wheel the weaker the wheel. This is easy to see if you visualize the extremes. For example, a wheel that is 16 inches in diameter but only 2 inches wide should be very strong against potholes. But that 16 inch in diameter wheel that is 12 inches wide would be weaker. This is because the spokes on the wheel are spaced throughout the wheel as the wheel is not one solid block, which leaves spots on the wheel that do not have a spoke for support. So, I think since wheels for the MINI and any car nowadays are wide, relatively speaking, that the smaller the diameter the stronger the wheel.

Also, I have read here that the smaller diameter wheel is faster, and not just because they are lighter. I think this is because the engine RPMs will be higher to turn the wheel more turns, or it may be easier for the engine to turn a small wheel than a larger one. Don't know as I'm no expert, but I have heard many times that the smaller wheel will be faster. So, performance (speed) would be better with 15s vs 16s, particularly if you have a MC vs MCS as the power to weight ratio is more critical. As far as handling, I don't think it matters if you have 15s vs 16s, as the biggest thing is probably your tire aspect ratio, i.e., 45 or 50 series tires are both good I would think, and give you a quicker turn in, or at least you can feel the road better and connect with the steering better, i.e., better steering feel, more direct connection with the road. A 15 inch diameter with 50 series may throw your speedometer off ever so slightly more than a 16 with 50 series, though.

I have also heard that tires weigh more than wheels, so some prefer larger diameter wheels. But when it comes to weight it all matters. There's a lot to think about, isn't there?

For other wheel choices, BBS has a brand new one out now, too.

Bridgstone S03s are also excellent tires I've heard, but a little heavy, however they are wider for their given size than other tires, so it's all relative. Also Goodyear Eagles are excellent too.

Tire and wheel combos are more of a personal choice than about anything else, so it's whatever you like. One good thing about tires is that you can always change them after they wear out to something different.

Old 02-16-2004, 07:52 PM
friedduck
4th Gear
Thanks for all the help guys. I finally found my ideal set-up locally after poking around (for months.)

I wanted to buy tires from Tire Rack (in support of all that they've done) but this was a package deal, so not this time. The way I'm going through tires, though, it won't be long :smile:

The skinny? Team Dynamics Pro Race II at 16x7. Reputed to be reliable wheels, and they come in at a little over 13 1/2#.

A little extra give in a 50 a/r tire should help with those Sweet Auburn potholes I drive through every day!

Pics to follow once they're mounted. Oh, and gotta get the car washed. It's fugly.

Jeff in ATL

Old 02-17-2004, 06:23 AM
apexer
6th Gear
Look forward to he pictures friedduck. Where did you get them and, what was cost?
I'm considering Kosie K-1 16x7.5 in white at about $159.00 each which includes wheel center rings. Haven't seen anyone who has the TD II in 16x7, just 17x7. Would REALLY line to the the Prorace 1 in 16x7 in white, but I don't think the make it in 16".

Old 02-17-2004, 01:00 PM
friedduck
4th Gear
>> Would REALLY line to the the Prorace 1 in 16x7 in white, but I don't think the make it in 16".

I'm with you. This is actually my favorite wheel and I'd have bought that instead if they had the 16x7.

I actually e-mailed Team Dynamics and they referred me to their distributor (American Tire) who in turn found a local dealer. Outmotoring sells their line, but didn't list the 16x7, nor any package deals.

>>Look forward to he pictures friedduck. Where did you get them and, what was cost?

Wheels were $144/ea. and my understanding is that includes the requisite hardware.

The Koseis are great wheels. Light (15#) and from what I understand really bulletproof wheels.

Contact info if you're interested:
http://www.teamdynamicsusa.com
http://www.outmotoring.com (mini reseller of TD wheels)
http://www.edgeracing.com (they have a great deal on the 17x7 TD if you're interested. It's called TDR-B or something like that on their site.)

Others worth looking at:
http://www.webbmotorsports.com (16x6.5 Monzas. I wanted 16x7)
http://www.rspeed.net/mini (16x7 Rota Circuit 8s. They have really good pkg. prices too)

Jeff in ATL

Old 02-23-2004, 03:45 PM
friedduck
4th Gear
They're finally mounted, balanced and aligned. The pics are here until the galleries are back-up.

They're not for everyone, but then I see that as a good thing! Enjoy or deride as you see fit!

Jeff

Old 02-23-2004, 04:32 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
Hey Jeff,

They are definitely different. And I agree that's a good thing. Variety is the spice of life. They provide a distinct look being a dark color. Very interesting looking. Overall I like the look.